E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Kangaroodle

My Ride: 2004 330ci
HK door speaker rattling

Hey guys I tried researching this issue for a while now and can't seem to find a solution to it. Most of the current problems that I've read were only for the sub. My top speaker is rattling and I was wondering if I opened it, would the sock trick help with the rattling? or is the space too small to fit something like that in there? I don't want to open up the door if I don't have to since that side's interior trim piece is already cracking somehow. Thanks in advance!
Kangaroodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
you sure the tweeters are the ones rattling?

usually, it's the lower mid range driver on the bottom.
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Kangaroodle

Yeah I put my hand over them and the rattling(and obviously sound) from that speaker went away.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
Looks like the only way to fix it will be to take the door apart. Is it resonating from the bass or is it sounding like the speaker is blown? My trim is also cracked but I'm just careful when removing it. Have you checked around the door to see if any of the clips holding the door card on have broken? You can run your hand around the bottom of the speaker and slightly pull on the door card and see if any of it has some give. If a clip has broken, the bass can make the door card resonate and the loose part will vibrate. If you do open the door make sure the speaker is screwed in all the way down to prevent further vibrations. I have aftermarket front components that have deeper bass then the OEM speakers and had to put Dynamat on the doors to stop them from rattling. They have a similar stuff at Lowe's and Home Depot called Peel & Seal that works in the similar way as Dynamat on the cheap.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Kangaroodle

I can still hear sound from it, so I'm assuming it's resonating from the bass? I didn't know the housing could ever get loose. Is the door card the entire exterior (of the interior part of the door)?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
Yes, the door card is the whole leather inside portion of the door that has the door handle and speaker grill. The whole thing just snaps onto the door with clips on the outer perimeter and some screws. When I first got the car the clips were nice and hard plastic, but over time they have become brittle and tend to break more often. Next time you are driving and you hear the sound, press your leg on the door to cover as much as you can. If the noise stopps then its the resonance. Your leg will absorbe the vibrations and stop the door from rattling. If not, then your speaker may be blown and the heavy mid bass of some songs maybe causing distortion. The speakers are made of paper. When I replaced mine the rubber gasket around the speaker that attached the paper cone to the metal basket was crumbling because it was so dried out.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote