E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions

Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions
Do you have feedback/questions/ideas/suggestions about the site? Post them here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
post counts: @ Regional

Why are the post counts in the regional thread counted?

This may sound petty but post counts is a serious topic because I feel that there is a strong positive correlation between a person's post counts and his contribution to the community. For example, if a person was registered 2yrs ago but only haa 100 post counts then this usually mean that the person isn't too active in the community. However, if that same person has 3,000 post counts then this usually mean that he is very involved in the forum/community. As a result, a person with a high post count can be more trusted, reliable and creditable then a person with a low post count.

I think the admin/mods agree with my assessment and that is why post counts in the OFF TOPIC doesn't count because although they might be amusing and fun to read these posts (off topic) doesn't have any contributional/knowledge value then thread in the general section.

So with that being said, why are the post counts in the regional thread counted? Is this a loop hole that the admin/moderator inadvertedly created? There is this one particular thread over 2,000,000 view in the regional that is responsible for over 700,0000 (combined) post counts. In matter of fact, the members in that regional thread knows about this "loop hole" and are exploiting it. They would celebrate each time they reach a particular number and have competition with each other to see who can rack up the most post. Likewise, the majority of their posts are about nothing and sometimes it is just silly one or two liners. There are members with a few years of membership but have over 20,000 posts in the regional a lone.

these posts don't do anything for the community. their contributional and knowledge value is neligible. Therefore, I recommend that regional forums posts should not count toward the overall post counts. Their high post counts gives a false impression that they are contributing to the community (answer questions, posting DIYs, and posting revelant info, etc) when in actuality they do nothing to benefit the community.

If the admin/mods don't agree with my assessment then would it be okay if I start my own thread in the regional and just talk about nothing? Will I get assurance that my thread will not get deleted for "polluting" or "wasting the server bandwidth?" I too want to get 50,000 - 75,000 posts while talking about nothing.

Respectfully,

Betty Hoang

Last edited by flashmeow; 01-20-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
There is no correlation from post count to anything at all. Post count is irrelevant in every part of e46fanatics.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
And I decided to read more than two sentences to also say, if you make the decision to trust someone more due to their post count, YOU'RE INSANE.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
323ci newbie

My Ride: mkodama
It's a regional section, meaning people from that region should be involved there. It is a mini-community in this e46 community as a whole. We often meet up in real life to not only have meets but also spend time together. I am happy to say that these people I have met over the internet are my friends, and that is the exact definition of a good community.

I mean why does the post count even matter to you? Serious question. If you really do "trust" the people with large post counts I have to say that's just crazy, post count has absolutely zero correlation to information posted.

Another thing would be your assumption that those in the regional's are talking about nothing, when actually there is a lot of car talk and help. People talk about more than just cars here on this forum, we hold other interests, and we do post about those interests. You also claim our, and by our I mean Nor-Cal General Chat, posts to be negligible and don't help the communities, when in fact current members have posts on the front page of this website, or have been involved in one of the greatest self swaps completed on this site.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Mango

My Ride: M54B30
I agree much of the stuff that goes on in regional and OT is excessive and shouldn't count towards post count. If post count doesn't matter, then why have a post count at all? The whole reason for a post count is for other members to get a sense of involvement in the community for a particular member. Since this is an E46-centered forum, not sure how posts of p0rn, lolcats, or about what you had for lunch should count towards your involvement towards the E46.

It has the possibility of giving the false impression that you're more involved or contributory than you really are. No doubt that some of the members with 25k, 50k, 100k+ posts are knowledgeable or helpful, but I think it's kind of excessive to have one-word posts count towards your count.

It is what it is.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 01-21-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
I agree with this post. At least make the "monthly discussion" and "sightings" threads exempt.
There is some value to post count. For example I will be very weary of buying something from someone who's location is "America" and post count is very low.
I also feel that I trader rating should be shown by their avatar every time someone posts but that's for another thread.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 01-21-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
We're arguing about post counts now? Wow.....

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
Old 01-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Betty, I think you make a valid point and I understand it, given that you live where I live...in General...always fixing cars...and it would help people 'validate' in part the source.

But, I'll also say that although the post count in a regional thread can grow rapidly, many of them know their stuff pretty well. Cyberkaa is a good example...well, okay, he's the only example! LOL They have a little internal thing going and it's a tight clique as you know. On weekends, quite often, they still gather around in the garage, watching others work on cars and then occasionally sneak out back, gaze through a window in back of the garage, and pass around a box of kleenex to one another. They're kind that way. Seems odd to me, but it's a ritual they enjoy...some, seemingly a lot!

As stated, though, people need to learn to verify their sources by reading more posts from he/she giving advice. I'll always trust your word, Betty, no matter what your post count, at least when it comes to fixing my car!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 01-21-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
WheyArea

First, I usually get all my info from General so for those of who post there I really appreciate your posts.

However, everything stated in the first post is assumed. It's 'assumed' that post count =
trust, involvement, etc. One can make a case that it is but you don't know what other people actually think. Do people trust you more based on post count? Does post count reflect involvement? I think a better question is what part of the forum would you say is 'getting involved'? Isn't any part of the forum (not OT obviously) part of the forum?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323ci newbie View Post
It's a regional section, meaning people from that region should be involved there. It is a mini-community in this e46 community as a whole. We often meet up in real life to not only have meets but also spend time together. I am happy to say that these people I have met over the internet are my friends, and that is the exact definition of a good community.
Well said. Regional forums can transform the digital community and friendships into in person communities and friends. That seems like a reason to count those posts to me.

Some of the chat threads have gotten more posting then I would have expected but do I think the post count inflating that might happen is the end of the world, not really. The few people that are doing it seem to be established members of the site already.

Tim
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Listen, if you agree OT doesn't add to the community, then regional shouldn't. Regional, though, does add to the community, and you know what, OT does too. Not just OT proper, but poli, love line, and the other sub-OT forums.

Certainly a lower % towards the 'E46' stuff, but still 'can' add to the community, as it were. My best laughs here have been from Griffin's Challenge thread.

And, in regional, mine anyway, I'm always seeing one guy helping another out, getting meets going, etc.

Maybe it should be that every post counts, or only in those forums where all participation is car-related--General, diy, brakes, lights, electronics, suspension, tuning, etc.

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other...although, 'one smilie' posts probably shouldn't count unless it's a really good smilie!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
WheyArea

On a BMW forum I imagine OT is kind of a 'given' especially because it's literally called "Off-Topic." OP was arguing that there are posts that don't contribute to the general spirit of the forum (BMW enthusiasm) and OT seems like a no brainer.

But this is great because it proves my point. What one person (me) considers non-involvement another person (you) thinks IS involvement. This makes OP statement hard to support because of it's subjectivity

And yes, only good smilies.... or memes!

Last edited by WheyArea; 01-21-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness

Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Mango

My Ride: M54B30
I don't think anybody disputes community. People in their respective regions should interact and meet one another. That's great. But does the constant back-and-forth in an OT chat or sightings thread have to count towards a little number under your name? Not so sure. Is it a big deal to me? Not really. But since we're having this discussion, I think it's worth bringing up.

BTW, I've met MANY fantastic members and made many friends from this forum while rarely, if ever, setting foot in OT or regional.

While I like to discuss fun topics as much as the next guy, personally I like to spend my time in General or other car-related sub-forums where I can contribute to the community on a consistent basis

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Betty, I think you make a valid point and I understand it, given that you live where I live...in General...always fixing cars...and it would help people 'validate' in part the source.

But, I'll also say that although the post count in a regional thread can grow rapidly, many of them know their stuff pretty well. Cyberkaa is a good example...well, okay, he's the only example! LOL They have a little internal thing going and it's a tight clique as you know. On weekends, quite often, they still gather around in the garage, watching others work on cars and then occasionally sneak out back, gaze through a window in back of the garage, and pass around a box of kleenex to one another. They're kind that way. Seems odd to me, but it's a ritual they enjoy...some, seemingly a lot!

As stated, though, people need to learn to verify their sources by reading more posts from he/she giving advice. I'll always trust your word, Betty, no matter what your post count, at least when it comes to fixing my car!
I heard my name, so I came as fast as I could. The kleenex came in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Well said. Regional forums can transform the digital community and friendships into in person communities and friends. That seems like a reason to count those posts to me.

Some of the chat threads have gotten more posting then I would have expected but do I think the post count inflating that might happen is the end of the world, not really. The few people that are doing it seem to be established members of the site already.

Tim
I agree wholeheartedly.

There's a lot of good info in the regional threads, even if it is buried and requires using the dreaded search button. Dmax saw this for himself and asked members of our regional threads to contribute more to General (and at least a few of us did in fact take him up on that). That said, it's a lot easier to give and get help when you're near each other and can look at a car in person.

Since I was singled out here, I'll add that I've become active in the local BMW community and also met some of my best friends in the region because of this forum, so I don't see a problem with post count reflecting contributions to regional threads. I lost count long ago of the number of times I've heard people say they wish they were in our area because of the level of activity of our local community.

I would suggest that anyone looking at post count to determine a members credibility instead judge by the quality of contributions, e.g. useful threads they've started, past posts, etc.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
^do you search for your name on google
Old 01-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I heard some jimmies rustlin' and decided to swing by.

** Removed **
Old 01-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #18
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
^do you search for your name on google
No. I'm not kpeng.

In b4 kpeng.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
instead judge by the quality of contributions, e.g. useful threads they've started, past posts, etc.
exclude b_cyrus from this judgement.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
exclude b_cyrus from this judgement.
True. B_Cyrus is completely useless no matter what he posts.

Quote:
Closed Thread