E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
mattfarrington

My Ride: 04 325xi
Anyone out there feel brave enough to...?

To show a kid how to drive an SMG M3?
I've read it's not as easy and press the gas, go, hit the paddles, you're done.

I've always been a full manual kind of guy, looking at getting an SMG M3 in the next month or two, and well, am a little afraid.

I'm in New Hampshire, in Londonderry (20 minutes from Mass).

I can pay like $50 or something, I promise I won't break your car...

Just send me a PM if anyone is willing to help a buddy out. Thanks!!
mattfarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
The thing with the SMG is that when you take off and make gear changes the car is actually operating a clutch (just without your foot doing it) - so the car will move forward or backwards when you take your foot off the brake if you are not on a level surface the car will roll forward/back respectively. When you apply throttle it releases the clutch like you would in a standard manual so there is a small delay - the same when you make a shift.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
mattfarrington

So I would have to be easy on the gas, like a manual?
And if I floored it, the car would essential spin the tires?

Does the shift severity have anything to do with how fast the clutch gets let out on take off?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Steezy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfarrington View Post
So I would have to be easy on the gas, like a manual?
And if I floored it, the car would essential spin the tires?

Does the shift severity have anything to do with how fast the clutch gets let out on take off?
What are you afraid of? It's a very easy transmission once you get past the quirks of the SMG. If you floor the E46 M3, from a dead stop, (at least mine) my wheels spin all the way to redline, and I shift to second, and it chirps (tires spin right after gear change) 2nd gear also. It all depends on tires/weather/etc.

1. SMG cars will NOT turn on unless the car is in neutral.

2. Since it IS a manual car, you will NEED to pull the parking brake up when parking the car on a hill/etc...

3. Again, this car IS a manual, so if you're on a hill (like stated above) the car will roll back. You can activate a roll back assist feature by pulling back the left paddle on a hill, (you will notice the RPMS go up) and you don't have to hold the brake. Keep in mind, this is only active for 2 seconds.

4. If the car does a jerky/shudder when pressing on the gas you can fix it by either taking your foot off the pedal, flooring it, or, ease on to the throttle. It usually jerks when there's an inconsistent movement going on with your foot.

5. I recommend driving in S4. I think it's perfect for daily driving. It's not too fast of a shift, not too slow.

That's really all there is to it. The automatic mode is complete garbage. Never use it. Also, the shift severity has no effect on acceleration; only shifts. Good luck!

Last edited by Steezy; 01-18-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Steezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
mattfarrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy View Post
What are you afraid of? It's a very easy transmission once you get past the quirks of the SMG. If you floor the E46 M3, from a dead stop, (at least mine) my wheels spin all the way to redline, and I shift to second, and it chirps (tires spin right after gear change) 2nd gear also. It all depends on tires/weather/etc.

1. SMG cars will NOT turn on unless the car is in neutral.

2. Since it IS a manual car, you will NEED to pull the parking brake up when parking the car on a hill/etc...

3. Again, this car IS a manual, so if you're on a hill (like stated above) the car will roll back. You can activate a roll back assist feature by pulling back the left paddle on a hill, (you will notice the RPMS go up) and you don't have to hold the brake. Keep in mind, this is only active for 2 seconds.

4. If the car does a jerky/shudder when pressing on the gas you can fix it by either taking your foot off the pedal, flooring it, or, ease on to the throttle. It usually jerks when there's an inconsistent movement going on with your foot.

5. I recommend driving in S4. I think it's perfect for daily driving. It's not too fast of a shift, not too slow.

That's really all there is to it. The automatic mode is complete garbage. Never use it. Also, the shift severity has no effect on acceleration; only shifts. Good luck!
Hey thanks!
So, let's say I'm at a light on a hill, and I want to take off. I'll just simply pull the (-) level back to me, and then press the gas and I'll go?
Also, for taking off, if it's in first gear, I will NOT move unless I press the gas, correct?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
Quote:
Hey thanks!
So, let's say I'm at a light on a hill, and I want to take off. I'll just simply pull the (-) level back to me, and then press the gas and I'll go?
Also, for taking off, if it's in first gear, I will NOT move unless I press the gas, correct?
With "Hill Assist", if you pull back on the "-" paddle, the rev's will increase, you can take your foot off of the brake pedal and then press the gas pedal without the car rolling backwards. (With practice and good pedal control, you can hold the car on a hill with slight gas pedal pressure)

The same laws of physics apply to a 2-pedal M3 and a 3-pedal M3. Now if you are on a flat level surface and take your foot of the brake pedal, the car will not move until you give it gas and the clutch engages.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
mattfarrington

Thanks!
I'm hoping I like it when I test drive a car when ready to buy.
I honestly still prefer the 6MT.. but they aren't easy to find on here anymore.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Honestly, how I learned to drive a stick was by buying one, and before you start laughing, that original equipment clutch was fine when I sold the car with 150,000 miles.
Seems like the only issue with an SMG is a hill start, so I'd play around in someone's driveway before taking it to a big hill with a stop sign at the top.
Or you could just drop the M3 off here, and borrow my Mazda MPV until you're feeling totally confident, which I imagine would be 2018 or so.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
mattfarrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
Honestly, how I learned to drive a stick was by buying one, and before you start laughing, that original equipment clutch was fine when I sold the car with 150,000 miles.
Seems like the only issue with an SMG is a hill start, so I'd play around in someone's driveway before taking it to a big hill with a stop sign at the top.
Or you could just drop the M3 off here, and borrow my Mazda MPV until you're feeling totally confident, which I imagine would be 2018 or so.
I can drive a stick no problem. My issue was learning the SMG, as I've heard it isn't as easy as it sounds, and it's difficult, blah blah. But It seems easy, form what these people have said.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
and also lets not forget about LAUNCH CONTROL (used mine for the first time a couple days ago, pissed in my pants LOL)

-turn DSC off, go up to S6, hold gear lever forward, push the gas pedal and revs will go up, LET GO OF THE LEVER, HOLD ON AND PREPARE TO SHIFT!

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
mattfarrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakumaxp View Post
and also lets not forget about LAUNCH CONTROL (used mine for the first time a couple days ago, pissed in my pants LOL)

-turn DSC off, go up to S6, hold gear lever forward, push the gas pedal and revs will go up, LET GO OF THE LEVER, HOLD ON AND PREPARE TO SHIFT!
THAT actually looks very useful. And I read (correct me if I'm wrong) if I get the CSL SMG flash... I the rev's will hold at 3.8k rpm instead of 1.9k?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
buy the car first then someone can show ya
Old 01-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Steezy

Quote:
THAT actually looks very useful. And I read (correct me if I'm wrong) if I get the CSL SMG flash... I the rev's will hold at 3.8k rpm instead of 1.9k?
You're right.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Steezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakumaxp View Post

Doesn't that put wear on the sub-frame? I've never tried it.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
sakumaxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy View Post
Doesn't that put wear on the sub-frame? I've never tried it.
ohh, im really not sure, i have a vert, so most of the subframe issues i dont have to worry about

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
You can always cheat and use the eBrake to help hold you on a hill when moving your foot from the brake to the clutch pedal (like you would in a manual).
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
sakumaxp

why would you need to play around on a hill at first? if youre scared of rolling back that much, you can just use the hill recognition on the SMG, on a steep hill or a hill with a stop sign at the top, with your foot on the break, pull and hold the ( - ) paddle, and your revs will raise a bit, then let your foot off the break step on the gas, you wont roll back at all. that was an exclusive feature on the SMG i think.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers