E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb151 View Post
If you stick to using it for cars and basic garage dirt its good. But if you suck up drywall dust for example, the filter clogs right up. It also isn't a wet vac, which is something to keep in mind.
Good to know... Thanks.
slo323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo323ci View Post
This isn't the one that Jonjon has that he says it basically just looks nice but doesn't suck that much up? I'm actually pouring my floor in my new garage on Saturday, so I'm looking for ideas.
Do you do a lot of woodworking ?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
slo323ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
Do you do a lot of woodworking ?
I wouldn't claim to do a lot, but that would be "a lot" of the mess in the garage especially in the winter. Also I'm putting living space above it, and I'm building it with my dad, so we will be doing all of the cutting in there. After that, I maybe do a few large projects a years.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #24
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
Before and after framing my kids bath mirror
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353961918.266187.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	479729   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353961930.314242.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	479730  
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #25
slo323ci

Nice Pinoy.

Yesterday poured my concrete floor in the garage... truck came at 830, done by 7. I had 2 other guys with me, and a power trowel. Also a nice kerosene heater.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #26
Riverbmr3

just installed under cabinet lights, looks good.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #27
Riverbmr3

painted my garage
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354553477.281197.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	480678   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354553505.864820.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	480679   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354553519.746767.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	480680  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
CoconutPete

My Ride: E90 330i
Ordered articulating TV mount. Putting it on the wall ... finally after 3 yrs in the house we decided which wall.

Old house + Plaster walls = Studs are not always exactly 16" on center and stud finders rarely work on thick plaster walls so...... had to refer to the old "drillalottatinyholesnadpokeacoathangerthroughthem" method. Needless to say I had a little patching to do before I slap the mount up there.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
Extra Credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3"
not "I'm looking for a M3".
-----------
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #29
Freddog

My Ride: 08bmw3series 2ltr
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Tested the fridge by opening the door.
Tested the integrity of the electrical system by turning on/off several lights throughout the house.
Tested the integrity of the floor by walking around.
Tested the plumbing by taking a shower.

I am committed to daily inspections and testing of some or all vital systems within my home. You may all heap praise upon me now.
DID YOU TEST theTOILET -------THE ROOF !TRY JUMPING ON IT ! THAT WILL FIND ANY WEAK SPOTS : :-):-) :-)
Freddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #30
Freddog

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhpfan4life View Post
Started work on my room and bathroom. Put up curtains in front of my closet instead of the two sliding mirror doors that were there. Hated not being able to use the middle of my closet which is already small enough to begin with.

Then in the bathroom I hung a glass vanity shelf to hold my normal toiletries. Toilet broke so I'll be fixing that soon. Then on to hanging pictures up on the wall.
Did you test it like --Vander Dave ,!,,????
Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #31
Freddog

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdoe1 View Post
i just bought a new house (first home) and therefore have a metric sh!t ton to get done quickly. Here's a clip of what i did over the past weekend:

Removed brick shelves from fireplace using masonry wheel and angle grinder (made a big mess ).

Mounted tv on brick wall after removing shelves.

Constructed new work bench.

Bought an engine block from an e30 for $30 incl. Pistons and crank shaft for coffee table project. you do watch top gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????

Cut down ugly trees and bushes in back yard.
nice fire'ing for winter
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #32
dualbob103

My Ride: Mums
I build this drying rack for my screen printing business. Saved myself over 900 bucks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	486930   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	486931   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	486932   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	486933  

dualbob103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #33
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius View Post
I build this drying rack for my screen printing business. Saved myself over 900 bucks!
That is because you are a genius !

(see ID)

It looks good. It is hard to believe someone would charge 900 bucks for that...maybe you should get a side business designing drying racks.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #34
dualbob103

My Ride: Mums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
That is because you are a genius !

(see ID)

It looks good. It is hard to believe someone would charge 900 bucks for that...maybe you should get a side business designing drying racks.
My apology, i meant to say 300 haha.
http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/screen-drying-rack

I also build my own washout booth, will upload pic when I get a chance, cost me 125 for a double utility sink from home depot. The website above is charging 2,000+ for it!

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com...t/CCSQ1000Poly
dualbob103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #35
Freddog

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius View Post
Never mind the saving / You now have A coustom made Rack to suit you.--------------------------PURE GENIUS-----------YOURS -----FRED
Old 01-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #36
Freddog

Thumbs Up

Geting my engine rebuilt
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #37
Freddog

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddog View Post
Geting my engine rebuilt
Hi just got my car in to the shop yesterday evening for an engine rebuild
Old 01-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #38
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Bought house January 1st, 2013.

Renovations so far:

1. Kids bathroom: Gutted entire bathroom. Ripped up and replaced half of the subflooring. Laid tile in half the bathroom. Waiting for acrylic tub to be installed (I am NOT doing that part). After tub, will finish tile and install new vanity, sink, plumbing and new Cadet 3 toilet.
2. Master BR: Ripped out entire ceiling, wired 4 ceiling speakers, replaced sheetrock. Insulation in attic still in bags...will be reinsulating next weekend. Closet needs new racks. Master Bathroom untouched.
3. Ceilings in entire house: overall, livingroom, kitchen and master BR ceilings replaced since originally installed incorrectly by builder (somehow). Had entire ceiling everywhere else scraped and re-mudded so there is smooth ceilings.
4. Lighting: all lights in entire house pulled out from ceiling and replaced after ceiling scraped/replaced.
5. Ripped up 6 layers of flooring in the kitchen/breakfast nook/laundry room/downstairs bathroom. (Tile, Backer board, Tile, Vinyl, OSB...something else...it was 3" or taller). Replaced with 1 LAYER of TILE!!!! Replaced all trim in these areas obviously since they were completely damaged from all the stacked flooring.
6. Replaced subflooring in laundry room.
7. Reinforced girders in laundry room by doubling up the girders/joists in the floor.
8. Replaced kitchen cabinet doors.
9. Repainted all kitchen doors.
10. Replaced 2 bedroom doors and their frames.
11. Front door and side windows (basically the entire door completely) was replaced with new fiberglass 2/3 glass height door.
12. Wired speakers and canned LED lighting in kitchen and living room while ceilings were ripped out.
13. Insulated ceilings in kitchen, living room and breakfast nook with R-19 (not fiberglass...some type of white stuff resembling cotton) for sound insulation purposes.
14. Replaced all electrical sockets and switches in house.

To Do:
1. Have entire inside of house repainted (happening next week) including ceilings and even the freaking closets.
2. Have the new kitchen doors installed and "glazed".
3. Install new range hood, fridge, stove and dishwasher.
4. Drill out new hole for dryer vent so it pipes directly outside instead of using piping to another area.
5. Replace garage doors with new insulated models and install 2 motors. (I assure you they need to be replaced...they are dented to hell and currently there are no motors).
6. Install fans and lights throughout the house.
7. Other crap I can't remember.

Disclosure: I am an attorney...not a contractor nor a man with a "wood thumb". I paid to have the door, granite, kitchen doors, tub, tile, ceiling and painting done. (Opprobriously I could have painted but I earn more working my job than wasting my time and doing a crappy paint job.) I did most of the demo and quite a bit of the electrical and most of the wiring/insulation (it's not complicated). Some things however I believe you should leave to a professional.

Last edited by ryanwhite74115; 01-27-2013 at 04:19 PM.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #39
Freddog

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
Bought house January 1st, 2013.

Renovations so far:

1. Kids bathroom: Gutted entire bathroom. Ripped up and replaced half of the subflooring. Laid tile in half the bathroom. Waiting for acrylic tub to be installed (I am NOT doing that part). After tub, will finish tile and install new vanity, sink, plumbing and new Cadet 3 toilet.
2. Master BR: Ripped out entire ceiling, wired 4 ceiling speakers, replaced sheetrock. Insulation in attic still in bags...will be reinsulating next weekend. Closet needs new racks. Master Bathroom untouched.
3. Ceilings in entire house: overall, livingroom, kitchen and master BR ceilings replaced since originally installed incorrectly by builder (somehow). Had entire ceiling everywhere else scraped and re-mudded so there is smooth ceilings.
4. Lighting: all lights in entire house pulled out from ceiling and replaced after ceiling scraped/replaced.
5. Ripped up 6 layers of flooring in the kitchen/breakfast nook/laundry room/downstairs bathroom. (Tile, Backer board, Tile, Vinyl, OSB...something else...it was 3" or taller). Replaced with 1 LAYER of TILE!!!! Replaced all trim in these areas obviously since they were completely damaged from all the stacked flooring.
6. Replaced subflooring in laundry room.
7. Reinforced girders in laundry room by doubling up the girders/joists in the floor.
8. Replaced kitchen cabinet doors.
9. Repainted all kitchen doors.
10. Replaced 2 bedroom doors and their frames.
11. Front door and side windows (basically the entire door completely) was replaced with new fiberglass 2/3 glass height door.
12. Wired speakers and canned LED lighting in kitchen and living room while ceilings were ripped out.
13. Insulated ceilings in kitchen, living room and breakfast nook with R-19 (not fiberglass...some type of white stuff resembling cotton) for sound insulation purposes.
14. Replaced all electrical sockets and switches in house.

To Do:
1. Have entire inside of house repainted (happening next week) including ceilings and even the freaking closets.
2. Have the new kitchen doors installed and "glazed".
3. Install new range hood, fridge, stove and dishwasher.
4. Drill out new hole for dryer vent so it pipes directly outside instead of using piping to another area.
5. Replace garage doors with new insulated models and install 2 motors. (I assure you they need to be replaced...they are dented to hell and currently there are no motors).
6. Install fans and lights throughout the house.
7. Other crap I can't remember.

Disclosure: I am an attorney...not a contractor nor a man with a "wood thumb". I paid to have the door, granite, kitchen doors, tub, tile, ceiling and painting done. (Opprobriously I could have painted but I earn more working my job than wasting my time and doing a crappy paint job.) I did most of the demo and quite a bit of the electrical and most of the wiring/insulation (it's not complicated). Some things however I believe you should leave to a professional.
good for you not afraid to get your hand's DIRTHY ,NO MENTIONS OF FIRE PLACES
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #40
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddog View Post
good for you not afraid to get your hand's DIRTHY ,NO MENTIONS OF FIRE PLACES
Yea...wife hates it currently. We didn't touch it since it was "ok" (aesthetically it is not that great but functionally it was installed well). She wanted to butcher it and replace it but funding (obviously) was inadequate.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote