E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Seb_323ci_2000

My Ride: 323ci 2000
Main cylinder about to be replaced

Hi,

I will remove my main cylinder, off my 323ci 200, this friday. I'll send them to Top Hydraulics to be rebuild. I have a question. When will be the time to reinstall those cylinder, will i have to do something specials before to push the top button to try to close/open the top for the first time? For sure, i will add the oil, but do I have something to re-programm or anything to do? Because when you manually the top, we have to push the emergency closing button to disengage the motor, located under the back seat. But do we have to do something because i have pushed this button?

Thank you
Seb_323ci_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
In for translation.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Hmmm. Fuel pump?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
^
Nope, I am pretty sure its a brake master cylinder, or clutch master cylinder, since he mentioned a hydraulic refurbishment.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Seb_323ci_2000

oups sorry, it's my main cylinder for the convertible top!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
LOL at the replies!

Finally someone else who has tackled the main hydraulic cylinders! Are you sending away both cylinders? I hope so, I wouldn't want to tackle this twice.

Maybe you'll be able to figure out where I got stuck. You'll notice the instructions for removing the passenger main cylinder include removing a shock, watch while removing it, its under a lot of pressure. The problem is this shock cannot be compressed by hand, and needs to be compressed to be reinstalled (unless there's some trick not in the documents online). I have a thread where I've been documenting replacing the main hydraulic cylinders if you need anymore info.

As for the release, I wouldn't worry about it. The button seems to pop back up after a rotation, so the system will try to latch the cover and eventually pop this button up. Alternatively you could just spin the motor using the allen key and the button will pop up.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Seb_323ci_2000

The top is removed! Was really easy to do. It just took 30 minutes to understand how to open the top manually.

Once it was open, i removed all the rear interior trims. Deconnect the hydraulics line. Removed the 3 bolts on each side that retains all the top and we pop it up. Took 2 hours.

After we removed the top, I had easy access to the main cylinder. It's now on it's way to be rebuild. I hope everything will work as new when will put it in back in place.

The dealer was asking 123$/hour for at least 11 hours. I'm now at 3 hours for all the removing time. I think it will take 4-5 hours max to put it back. Not that bad!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
taylor192

I really hope you sent away both, sounds like you only sent away one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Seb_323ci_2000

So I received my 2 main cylinder from Top Hydraulics. They did a great and fast job. It took 2 and a half week to get it back, including the shipping time to canada.

But you know what. I still have a leak. I have a line that is broken and the oil comes from there. My bmw car dealer made some test and they told me that we had to change the main cylinder. But when they made the test, they didn't even had some new oil in the pump. So the pressure wasn't at it's best.

When i add the correct quantity of oil, we correctly saw the oil coming from the little lines.

Now i will have to find what's that line and where does it goes. I hope it's not the one going to the main cylinder, because from what I have read, it come's with the cylinder.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
taylor192

So you got it completely reassembled and it worked fine (except the leak)? Good job, I'm still having issues with mine.

I'm pretty sure you can order the lines separately: #11 and 12

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...76&hg=54&fg=10

Last edited by taylor192; 02-22-2013 at 11:47 AM.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Seb_323ci_2000

Well... I called Klaus Witte at http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com . What an amazing guy he is!

I just gave him the red number that appears on the line, wich in my case was number 23. The dealer didn't even know what to do with that code. It's the one that goes from the control unit to the main right cylinder. So Klaus made a brand new one for me. 200$, 4 days after and it came to my door! With brand new fittings.

The problems is.... because of the 90 degree fitting, the hose is really hard to put it back. There is a metal bracket at each corner of the top. It is so tight that the fitting doesn't have much space to go through. I cannot figure out how to put it back. Was pretty easy to remove... because i cutted it :evil

One of the way we figured would to remove the top clothes to get upper acces to that f..... bracket. The simpliest way.... would to fix it as tight as we can and attatch it with tie wrap. We tried it and made the top close really slow to be sure that there is nothing that could pinched it or get too close to it.

Next step is to put back the top on the car.. put some oil and try it. Before that.... do you know somewhere where I can get the exact procedure to remove and re-install that f.... hydraulic line?
Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
taylor192

Seb, which side was the original leak on? Where was line 23 cut?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App