E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #181
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
What did you change up the diff to? Can the m-variable unit even handle the power? I wonder how close to the 4b motorsports drag full race car your street can get- david ran around 9.2/159mph with irs and built up stock diff I setup.

As low as 2.65 ratio is avail to fit the 210mm with ability to configure high lock clutch LSD. I'm still waiting on that s54 block/crank from my friend: do you still need one?
I'm running an OS Giken diff right now with a Motorsports 24 solid billet cover (no bushings). I'll likely see better times with a 2.xx r&p but right now I'm going to see what the stock gearing will do.


I might be interested in that S54 if you still have it. I've got extra trannys and blocks already but what I could really use would be a extra crank or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstar View Post
So does that mean the bet with chris is off for mfest?
Still on if the car is done in time.. I have the tendency of surprising people.. so I'm sure it will be there with bells on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Something unbalanced in the motor? Who has built it these four times?

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
I've replaced the flywheel, etc.. multiple times.. something is unbalanced somewhere.. the flywheel bolts keep backing out. I've replaced the drive shaft, with a solid one piece, and a new 2 piece.. after 1000mi the flywheel bolts are literally falling out.

It happened once in vegas.. didn't think much of it.. assumed it was installation error or a locktite issue, etc.. pulled it, put it back in.. i got home.. started doing it again.. i pulled the flywheel/clutch, reinstalled with a new flywheel and new bolts, etc.. did it again at almost exactly 1000mi.. now here we are .. so I guess its done it 3 times then.. regardless something is unablanced somewhere.. when the bolts backed out the first time one sheered and ****ed up the crank snout...

Unrelated but I did a compression test on the motor.. it solid across the board.. Saad built one beast of a motor, that's for sure. I've done nothing but beat on it since we got done with it back in April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Still on...cept it's gonna be good ol blue doing the 6MT job
Indeed I'm bringing a knife to a gun fight but, regardless I'm not going to back down.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22


Last edited by MarcusLSB; 01-20-2013 at 10:46 PM.
MarcusLSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #182
wanganstyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern California; SF BAY
Posts: 207
My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Os Giken is great: I use them also but more for roadcourse/drift cars

With the os giken L1 you are using the lowest ratio that will fit is 3,15- the flange offset for lower ratios is different

I'll keep my eyes out for a crankshaft for you- are you killing harmonic dampers? Stock damper or ati?

Do you think the flywheel bolts backing out is damper related?


Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
__________________

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 01-22-2013 at 04:49 AM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #183
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
Os Giken is great: I use them also but more for roadcourse/drift cars

With the os giken m1 unit you are using the lowest ratio that will fit is 3,15- the flange offset for lower ratios is different

I'll keep my eyes out for a crankshaft for you- are you killing harmonic dampers? Stock damper or ati?

Do you think the flywheel bolts backing out is damper related?


Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
Could be damper related.. I was considering switching to an ATI. But now that my snout on my crank is all mauled up I'm sure its only adding to the issues..

Right now I have to pull the tranny again, check everything out, retighten the bolts, and if I wanted to I could swap to the ati balancer and reassemble.. put another 1000mi on it and see what happens..

When the bolts start to back out I literally have about 10mi before the come completely out. Everything sounds/behaves normal.. then within about 10 miles it deteriorates FAST. Right now its within the first mile or two of me noticing the issue.. haven't disassembled it yet.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #184
evilstar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Inland Empire, SoCal
Posts: 18,791
My Ride: 633csi & 325i
Well im keeping my fingers crossed for you but it's going to be real tough going up against the drag car.
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #185
InDiGlOM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Copperas Cove
Posts: 1,472
My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
How are you locking the motor to tighten flywheel bolts? And what tq are you going to, sequence etc.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
__________________
InDiGlOM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #186
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
How are you locking the motor to tighten flywheel bolts? And what tq are you going to, sequence etc.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
BMW TDC Locking Pin and following the torque/pattern instructions that came with the OS Giken clutch/flywheel.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #187
E85head
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Car
Posts: 177
My Ride: E46 M3
If you win... It will be the most impressive thing in racing history since John Britten made his own motorcycle in his basement beating Ducati! lol
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #188
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,834
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
The drag car has been mia for a very long time...I wouldn't be worried.
__________________

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 01-21-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #189
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by E85head View Post
If you win... It will be the most impressive thing in racing history since John Britten made his own motorcycle in his basement beating Ducati! lol
I don't know about that! Lol. If I built a second drag car, from scratch. But I just don't have time for it. I've had help with this car from every vendor, Saad, ProEFI, FSR and even HPF. I've done some on my own but most has been with some assistance.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #190
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
The drag car has been mia for a very long time...I wouldn't be worried.
Last we saw of it, it ran a 10.2 I think, which would beat my 10.56. So I've got quite a bit to do to get to my car to a 10.1 or better and I'm sure Chris isn't sitting on his laurels, but I also know he's been distracted with other stuff. Should be interesting if we both make it.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #191
wanganstyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern California; SF BAY
Posts: 207
My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
Could be damper related.. I was considering switching to an ATI. But now that my snout on my crank is all mauled up I'm sure its only adding to the issues..

Right now I have to pull the tranny again, check everything out, retighten the bolts, and if I wanted to I could swap to the ati balancer and reassemble.. put another 1000mi on it and see what happens..

When the bolts start to back out I literally have about 10mi before the come completely out. Everything sounds/behaves normal.. then within about 10 miles it deteriorates FAST. Right now its within the first mile or two of me noticing the issue.. haven't disassembled it yet.
I have a known good oem damper here from my own car that was only used with stock dual mass that you are welcome to try using or compare your current stock unit to if you would like- would be my hunch that the damper may be on the way out and sending pulses to terminate on the bolts. Did you ask OSG engineers if they have experienced similar?
I Have ran OSG clutch on japanese cars without any vibration/bolts issues


Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
__________________

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 01-21-2013 at 03:42 PM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #192
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
I have a known good oem damper here from my own car that was only used with stock dual mass that you are welcome to try using or compare your current stock unit to if you would like- would be my hunch that the damper may be on the way out and sending pulses to terminate on the bolts. Did you ask OSG engineers if they have experienced similar?



Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
No, but I should. However if I'm going to go to the trouble I figure I might as well throw an ATI on there.

I heard some people say that if the issue ISN'T with the balancer the ATI could make the situation worse. Not sure if thats true or not.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #193
wanganstyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern California; SF BAY
Posts: 207
My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
No, but I should. However if I'm going to go to the trouble I figure I might as well throw an ATI on there.

I heard some people say that if the issue ISN'T with the balancer the ATI could make the situation worse. Not sure if thats true or not.
I would first try a diffent stock damper or a brand new one before ati- some ati units have failed miserably in track use conditions with relatively standard s54 engines

Is your crankshaft a standard unit or offset ground for more stroke?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
__________________

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 01-21-2013 at 03:46 PM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #194
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
I would first try a diffent stock damper or a brand new one before ati- some ati units have failed miserably in track use conditions with relatively standard s54 engines

Is your crankshaft a standard unit or offset ground for more stroke?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
Thanks for the tip!

Btw, is your block/crank still at your house? If so I'll pick it up from you in a few weeks. I still have the axles sitting here waiting to send them to DSS.. been so dang busy.

I'll head over to BMW and order a new stock damper.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #195
wanganstyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern California; SF BAY
Posts: 207
My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
Thanks for the tip!

Btw, is your block/crank still at your house? If so I'll pick it up from you in a few weeks. I still have the axles sitting here waiting to send them to DSS.. been so dang busy.

I'll head over to BMW and order a new stock damper.
Its at my friends about an hour and half south, been meaning to pick it up 4th quarter 2012 but got swamped w work and now am overseas on family biz (funeral). Will let you know when I pick it up- probably late feb early march-

Id order a brand new oem bmw damper and see if there is any delamination on the current unit from heat etc



Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
__________________

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #196
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
Its at my friends about an hour and half south, been meaning to pick it up 4th quarter 2012 but got swamped w work and now am overseas on family biz (funeral). Will let you know when I pick it up- probably late feb early march-

Id order a brand new oem bmw damper and see if there is any delamination on the current unit from heat etc



Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
My car has about 50k miles on it.. if the damper shows excessive signs of delamination or a split wouldn't that be a sign that something in the motor (or rotating assembly) is off balance causing excessive heat and vibration that the damper is attempting to counteract.

You know I live about an hour south of you, so if you want me to pick it up before Feb/Mar I can.

Sorry about your loss, my grandmother passed yesterday and I'll be traveling all this week for the service/funeral/etc.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #197
wanganstyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern California; SF BAY
Posts: 207
My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
My car has about 50k miles on it.. if the damper shows excessive signs of delamination or a split wouldn't that be a sign that something in the motor (or rotating assembly) is off balance causing excessive heat and vibration that the damper is attempting to counteract.

You know I live about an hour south of you, so if you want me to pick it up before Feb/Mar I can.

Sorry about your loss, my grandmother passed yesterday and I'll be traveling all this week for the service/funeral/etc.
Thank you

I need to visit some friends down south anyways, hopefully all will fall in place when I return. Rip and my condolences to your family also, has been a really big family time for me

Failure at ~50k area is unusual but not unheard of. Usually they fail on track race cars with elevated redlines and light weight single mass flywheels- im pretty sure the thrust of acceleration of the turbocharged power is also stressful for it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
__________________

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 01-21-2013 at 04:05 PM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #198
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 644
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
Os Giken is great: I use them also but more for roadcourse/drift cars

With the os giken m1 unit you are using the lowest ratio that will fit is 3,15- the flange offset for lower ratios is different

I'll keep my eyes out for a crankshaft for you- are you killing harmonic dampers? Stock damper or ati?

Do you think the flywheel bolts backing out is damper related?


Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App

I was able to use 2,65 / 2,81 / 2,93 / 3,07 with OS LSD.
__________________
E46 M3 Sedan All Wheel Drive Twin Turbo 1200 whp
E46 M3 Coupe Turbo 60-130 mph 4,2 seconds (2011)
E46 330 xi Mora Metallic
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #199
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,834
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
I was able to use 2,65 / 2,81 / 2,93 / 3,07 with OS LSD.
Which one was your favorite?
__________________
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #200
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 644
My Ride: M3
Marcus,

May God save your grandmother.

Regarding your bolt issues:
I am still on oem vib damper.

1- check the tightening specs on the bolts.

2- get your flyheel balanced, just a precaution. It may be off balance.
__________________
E46 M3 Sedan All Wheel Drive Twin Turbo 1200 whp
E46 M3 Coupe Turbo 60-130 mph 4,2 seconds (2011)
E46 330 xi Mora Metallic
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use