E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 244 votes, 4.74 average.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #15181
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
change my GM5 module and installed M3 steering wheel with paddle shift
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #15182
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Didn't see any grilles offered painted like this. So I made them

Before:
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358799990593.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	487006

After:
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358800023943.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	487008

2002 BMW 330i

Then I polished the **** out of the whole car using Turtle Wax Black Detailer. This stuff is magic...

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Swapped M3 Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Locked/Loaded/Loud

DonaldE

Last edited by DonaldE; 01-21-2013 at 02:28 PM.
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #15183
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
gave my car bluetooth! this is way more simple than any of the other methods provided you have the OEM iPod connector.

WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #15184
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
Didn't see any grilles offered painted like this. So I made them

Before:
Attachment 487006

After:
Attachment 487008

2002 BMW 330i

Then I polished the **** out of the whole car using Turtle Wax Black Detailer. This stuff is magic...
All black or all chrome IMO.
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #15185
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueandwhite85 View Post
agreed

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #15186
DonaldE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueandwhite85 View Post
Yeah, I can see how you might say that; however, I prefer to be different than others. And since the car is all black with small parts of chrome trim, I chose to go this route to match the rest of the car. It's a subtle change, but I really like it, and have yet to see anyone else with similar grilles.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #15187
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Yeah, I can see how you might say that; however, I prefer to be different than others. And since the car is all black with small parts of chrome trim, I chose to go this route to match the rest of the car. It's a subtle change, but I really like it, and have yet to see anyone else with similar grilles.
Eh there's about 7,483 people that have done this already. It's also how the E9X 328 comes stock according to this thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526341

I am glad you like them, but "to be different" isn't a good reason to modify your car. To each his own!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 01-21-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #15188
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
Quote:
By all means do what you do.
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #15189
DonaldE

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Eh there's about 7,483 people that have done this already. It's also how the E9X 328 comes stock according to this thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526341

I am glad you like them, but "to be different" isn't a good reason to modify your car. To each his own!
I'm glad to see that it looks good enough to be put standard on the E9X. I didn't say that nobody had done it. I simply said that I HADN'T seen any like it.

And please tell me why individuality isn't a good enough reason for you. I believe that a car is an extension of who you are as a person. So why would I want mine to be like another's?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #15190
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I'm glad to see that it looks good enough to be put standard on the E9X. I didn't say that nobody had done it. I simply said that I HADN'T seen any like it.

And please tell me why individuality isn't a good enough reason for you. I believe that a car is an extension of who you are as a person. So why would I want mine to be like another's?
To address your question, you said you mod your car "to be different from the others."

I think modding should be done because it looks good and is functional. I know you think it looks good, so that should have been your reasoning, and not "to be different from everybody else"

When I think of people who mod their cars simply for the sake of being "different," I think of stancers. Then I think about how they are the same as all the other stancers.

And I never said that you said nobody has never done it--because you never said that.

I think it flows well with the E9X and not the E46.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #15191
DonaldE

Quote:
To address your question, you said you mod your car "to be different from the others."

I think modding should be done because it looks good and is functional. I know you think it looks good, so that should have been your reasoning, and not "to be different from everybody else"

When I think of people who mod their cars simply for the sake of being "different," I think of stancers. Then I think about how they are the same as all the other stancers.

And I never said that you said nobody has never done it--because you never said that.

I think it flows well with the E9X and not the E46.
Good points. I personally would not have done this if my car wasn't already black. I believe it flows better than other e46s because of the color of the rest of the car. I think a good thing to keep in mind is a quote that I tend to recite quite often.

"You're unique, just like everybody else"

You're right in saying that I did it because I thought it looked good, not "to be different". That makes more sense and I should have worded it that way.

Last edited by DonaldE; 01-21-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #15192
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Good points. I personally would not have done this if my car wasn't already black. I believe it flows better than other e46s because of the color of the rest of the car. I think a good thing to keep in mind is a quote that I tend to recite quite often.

"You're unique, just like everybody else"

You're right in saying that I did it because I thought it looked good, not "to be different". That makes more sense and I should have worded it that way.
Yeah. I never said it looked bad--because it doesn't. I just personally think the chrome slats gives it more appearance/presence.

I used to have black grills (I might give them away) but went back to stock.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=918180

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #15193
LiquidWater

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Agreed. I never understood why people think that "being different" should overrule actually looking good or functioning. Maybe it's different because nobody thinks it looks good...

The other thing is the people here are a small select group of people, so yes you may have something similar to them but in reality you might be unique in your area. For example out of all the e46's I've seen in person around my area, I seen CSL wheels once and have never seen a CSL trunk. Go to the showroom here and it's the standard. I probably could find a car club and see more but again that is a select group of people that I might never see day to day.

Last edited by LiquidWater; 01-21-2013 at 04:47 PM.
LiquidWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #15194
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
I have really got to stop singling out a certain Audi driver on my way home everyday.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #15195
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidWater View Post
Agreed. I never understood why people think that "being different" should overrule actually looking good or functioning. Maybe it's different because nobody thinks it looks good...

The other thing is the people here are a small select group of people, so yes you may have something similar to them but in reality you might be unique in your area. For example out of all the e46's I've seen in person around my area, I seen CSL wheels once and have never seen a CSL trunk. Go to the showroom here and it's the standard. I probably could find a car club and see more but again that is a select group of people that I might never see day to day.
I have yet to see another clean E46 in my area. I plan to be the only one. Hahaha. The CSL wheels are overplayed in the showroom but there isn't a car within 50 miles of me that has them.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #15196
NFSx328ci

My Ride: TiAg E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I have yet to see another clean E46 in my area. I plan to be the only one. Hahaha. The CSL wheels are overplayed in the showroom but there isn't a car within 50 miles of me that has them.
When I moved back to CT about 4 years ago, my car was the only one with CSL wheels. Now I see them everywhere. I'm actually tempted to get something different that still looks good and more original

My babies; Supercharged 328ci, 99 GSX boosted to 625awhp, 2011 Grand Cherokee. Newest addition: 2009 Alpine White 135i
NFSx328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #15197
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
I like it, pretty subtle IMHO but the haters can't help themselves.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #15198
hizhinezz
Outlier

Quote:

Precisely, what criteria must it meet other than"I felt like it" or " I liked the look". Are there rules to be followed oh great Mango? What are these parameters for stylistic discretion that we should all adhere to? If you said all or nothing I'd have more respect for you, but your position is closer to some subjective observation of your own, typically defended through adaptation of some citation of dubious online expertise followed by insults. You only like the sound of your own squeak, or that of yours and those whose blue and white noses polish your sphincter.

Mod on mod lovers. Haters hate because they know nothing else but to do, so childishly.

Last edited by hizhinezz; 01-21-2013 at 08:32 PM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #15199
hizhinezz
Outlier

Quote:

I think modding should be done because it looks good and is functional.
"Looks good" is a judgement that is 100% subjective... Or are we all to defer to your own preferences of stylish vs tacky? And when is paint ever affecting functionality?

You like what you like and you like to insult others tastes to make yourself look/feel good and then when challenged on it attempt to back up your claims with false evidence. You also criticize performance mods and dismiss out of hand with no real evidence (see M3 suspension thread on homepage). Mostly you hang out in a thread where people are encouraged to share the latest things they've done to their cars and pass judgement like some imperious bore. Just keep in mind, most people do not care what you think one way or the other, in fact, some of us love it when we do things that people like you are bound to hate.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #15200
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Bought an exhaust

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote