E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Anyway to improve ultra-cold start ups?

Hey everyone, I just wanted to start a technical oriented thread here for those of us who have already done extensive maintenance. If you just bought your E46 and did not even replace anything yet, then you need to get out...your car probably runs rough in the morning due to zero maintenance.

So- I went outside this morning at a cripsy 8 degrees and turned the key to Position 2 several times to wake the electronics and prime the fuel system (not to mention electronics were super laggy). Then fired up. Dash lit up like a christmas tree as the car cranked once and then ignited, making noises of all kind. All the lights went out, no check engine lights either...but the engine was making retarded forms of foreign noises. Being a great fanatic that I am, I knew my car had been sitting for 3 days straight, and even in summer weather, if the car sits for a while it runs rough for a few minutes. So I took her on a 5 mile drive and let the temp gauge get to middle and then cruised around town, engine made no more noises. Then I came back and pulled into the garage (since my mom left) and that is where she currently sits, with no problems.

So my question is- is there some form of maintenance that I still need to do to help this situation out? Or is the fact that my car has basically been an ice cube outside for 3 days? It probably has to deal with the ultra-cold oil on the start up that caused all the raucous.

I already did Spark Plugs, Entire Cooling System, Pulleys, Belts, Fuel Pump, intake boots, ICV clean, entire CCV system cold weather edition, entire vacuum system, new gas cap, fuel additives every 3,000 miles, only been using BMW 5W-30 oil, and much much more.

What could I possibly do? I was thinking about getting BG MOA and adding it to my oil, which should greatly improve startups. Or should I not let my car sit for 3 days straight?
I'm tired of waking up in the morning looking like in fear of my car start up. I wanna look like

Last edited by Sweetness; 01-22-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
How about new crank and cam sensors and coil boots? (just for the sake of being thorough) you said your dash lights went on after you started the car? i never "prime" or "wake up" electronics even after the cars been sitting for as long as one week. it just immediately starts right up. i put the key in and crank immediately. no priming whatsoever.

does it just crank a long time? exactly what kind of noises? rough idle? need a clearer description

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
wanganstyle

My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
For the older cars bmw had an OEM block heater that replaced one of the block side freeze plugs, ask your dealer or fav oem parts supplier to see if there is one for your model

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
I can't speak for certain about the DME on e46s, but some computers will squirt a small amount of fuel into the cylinders each time you "prime" they key. I am wondering if you are doing more harm than good by priming it multiple times--that certainly shouldn't be necessary.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
A block heater would be a good move especially if you are going to let it sit. Otherwise it's going to run like **** for a minute in the cold. IDK if Mango knows what cold is being from SoCal . I don't think any car will run smoothly immediately after it's sat for 3 days in that kind of weather. The whole engine is practically dry at that point.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-22-2013 at 11:24 AM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
A block heater would be a good move especially if you are going to let it sit. Otherwise it's going to run like **** for a minute in the cold. IDK if Mango knows what cold is being from SoCal . I don't think any car will run smoothly immediately after it's sat for 3 days in that kind of weather. The whole engine is practically dry at that point.
ive started my car when it had ice on it. 30 degrees. that's cold!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
WDE46

30 doesn't have the bite to it yet. when you reach <10 it starts to hurt haha.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Ha! 30 degrees is NOT cold! You can almost melt ice at that temp. But seriously you can look into many different heat devices for extreem cold. An installed block heater,a dipstick engine oil heater,a spliced inline coolant hose heater,a magnetic block heater. Any of these will help. In my old truck I used to keep a space heater in the cab with an extension cord run to a switched outside outlet and turn it on an hour before I went out to start it. It even helped defrost the windows by doing that. Just remember to unplug all this stuff before driving away.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
-20C (-4F) for a few days before the wind chill and all I've noticed on start up is slow electronics and a lot of extra vibrations/rattles, no problem starting. I notice you didn't mention anything in regards to the battery so I'm assuming it just starts right up when you turn the key, but I've always found a good battery is important for reliable regular "ultra cold" starts.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
ive started my car when it had ice on it. 30 degrees. that's cold!
30? you poor thing

Try under 5 or negative temps depending on the wind chill.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
30? you poor thing

Try under 5 or negative temps depending on the wind chill.

you guys would think 80 is hot (well maybe not Jake since NY gets hot) but try 115+

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
WDE46

In Nashville it would go to <10F in the winter for a few days at a time. Then in the summer we'd get 105F (high 90s average) with high humidity. I swear that region has the biggest temperature swings of anywhere. In Auburn, the temp isn't too bad, but the wind chill is ridiculous, then there are zero clouds in the summer at over 100F. The spring is incredible though and we had a weekend of 72F last week

Last edited by WDE46; 01-22-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Big battery (Bosch 49-850b), engine heater block, 0w oil will all improve cold starts.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Hovs13

My Ride: E46 325ci
I'm also curious about this.
Hovs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
New battery with high CCA is alway good start to improve cold start.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Thanks for all the responses guys. If you would like to continue the discussion, I will add that both camshaft sensors were replaced last year. Rough idle at first, but goes away after driving. My car has never cranked multiple times for as long as I owned it, but today the first crank sounded hoarse. I believe the problem is the oil temp and oil. Should I switch to something different? I'm using BMW 5W-30 at 136,000 miles and was thinking of switching to German Castrol with different viscosity. And block heater? how does it work? if there was an oem one I would be really interested in that. thanks guys.

Last edited by Sweetness; 01-22-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
No, your car will sound like complete total crap every time you start it once it gets under about 15 degrees. Trust me I live a 3 hour drive from the arctic circle.
Oh and you dont need a block heater its a waste of time on a fuel injected petrol engine.

Last edited by DHK; 01-22-2013 at 01:24 PM.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Basically the block heater goes in line with the coolant system or on the oil pan and keeps the oil or coolant nice and warmed up so your car starts more easily. It will also reduce wear on the bearings. All car manufacturers have an OEM one you can buy.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
If you insist on trying to make a car run like summer when it gets down near 0 F your going to waste a bunch of money for little or no gain.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Mango, GTFO of here with your "never had cold start issues" in SoCal, even at 30!

Sweetness:
I've replaced damn near everything in the engine compartment in my 01 330i and it still gets a bit sluggish when its REALLY cold outside. Not looking forward to these next few days of single-digit lows in the northeast! I just hope for the best, and always make sure to hit the road as soon as possible and get her moving.

Add this one to your list: I have all new coils too! WTF!

Also Sweets, in my observations, if you happen to go out and move your car when it's cold, as in rearrange cars in the driveway/wherever you part, then shut her off without proper warmup, this situation gets worse when you try to start her and it's cold as bawls.