E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #2041
china man

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG
Root app delete won't let me delete, it isn't rooted. When I update with update. Zip the Androidlogo has a open box and loading bar . What went wrong?
china man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #2042
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by china man View Post
Root app delete won't let me delete, it isn't rooted. When I update with update. Zip the Androidlogo has a open box and loading bar . What went wrong?
Can you get a screenshot of the "About this tablet/phone" setting? It should tell us what chipset your Android board is using. The root you used may not have worked for a number of reasons.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #2043
china man

Android for telechips TCC8900 Evaluation board android 2.3.3
Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #2044
rflail

My Ride: 2006 330 CiC ZHP
Has anyone tried to apply the patch that Charlies provided and PainBreak posted?
rflail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #2045
PainBreak

Quote:
Android for telechips TCC8900 Evaluation board android 2.3.3
It may be having trouble reading it off of your external sdcard.

Do you have /mnt/sdcard as well as /mnt/sdcard-ext ?

If so, using ES File Explorer, try copying the update.zip from /mnt/sdcard-ext to /mnt/sdcard

Then, do this:
Settings > About tablet > System updates > Install system update > From internal storage > Install now
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #2046
CokMinusTheS54

My Ride: '01 TiAg 325Ci 5mt
I am very interested in this for my car.

Is there a comprehensive "info" guide put together for this unit? If not, from which page should I start reading for info relevant to me if I were to buy a current model?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #2047
china man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
It may be having trouble reading it off of your external sdcard.

Do you have /mnt/sdcard as well as /mnt/sdcard-ext ?

If so, using ES File Explorer, try copying the update.zip from /mnt/sdcard-ext to /mnt/sdcard

Then, do this:
Settings > About tablet > System updates > Install system update > From internal storage > Install now
Sorry being thick but I couldn't find the paste function or button? I can get the update.zip onto clipboard but can't find a way to post it to the /mmt/sdcard folder
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #2048
PainBreak

Quote:
Sorry being thick but I couldn't find the paste function or button? I can get the update.zip onto clipboard but can't find a way to post it to the /mmt/sdcard folder
Paste should be along the top row to the right, and illuminated when you have something in the clipboard.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #2049
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
Painbreak, did you have the chance to test Charles update vs the forum one ?

Thx
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 AM   #2050
CTRob

My Ride: Alpine white e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post

Thx
What jchuillier said
CTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:37 AM   #2051
jchuillier

And another good news from our great testing friends at ENCO....

First the good news, my cable is fixed, the sound works....1 wire cut (ground for FL speaker) and 1 wire misplaced in the loom (the blue one that comes from the antenna and that goes to amp ctrl).

Then the bad news, with the DTV antenna provided by them, the unit won't fit in the car because the DTV antenna sticks out and hits the fan duct.....I wonder how they can run a business so unprofessionally....
Old 01-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #2052
CTRob

Quote:

First the good news, my cable is fixed, the sound works....1 wire cut (ground for FL speaker) and 1 wire misplaced in the loom (the blue one that comes from the antenna and that goes to amp ctrl).

Then the bad news, with the DTV antenna provided by them, the unit won't fit in the car because the DTV antenna sticks out and hits the fan duct.....I wonder how they can run a business so unprofessionally....
Is DTV built into the unit or does it cost extra?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #2053
jchuillier

Extra cost....$25 that's not the problem, but they provide an antenna that does not fit....morons...Once again, good product, **** people means "mitigated" purchase experience....
Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 AM   #2054
jchuillier

So if you buy DTV I STRONGLY suggest you get this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-Male-Plu...item460398e49d

It costs nothing so it's not a price matter, just that they could think about it....
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 AM   #2055
CTRob

Quote:
So if you buy DTV I STRONGLY suggest you get this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-Male-Plu...item460398e49d

It costs nothing so it's not a price matter, just that they could think about it....
The DTV uses an SMA connector and not coaxial??
Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 AM   #2056
jchuillier

yep, only the normal radio uses coax, and if you have the system in the boot you need to get your own antenna because it is not provided and the ling cable does not include a wire for the antenna.

In the back of the car you get a small connector type fakra" and in the enco you get a DIN entrance (and don't forget to get a 90 DIN otherwise it won't fit)

Good product, unfinished....probably the same with the dynavin though
Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #2057
CTRob

Quote:
yep, only the normal radio uses coax, and if you have the system in the boot you need to get your own antenna because it is not provided and the ling cable does not include a wire for the antenna.

In the back of the car you get a small connector type fakra" and in the enco you get a DIN entrance (and don't forget to get a 90 DIN otherwise it won't fit)

Good product, unfinished....probably the same with the dynavin though
Would you mind taking a pic of the back of the unit IE all the various ports?

I know you did one yesterday but I would like to see what the radio antenna connector looks like.

Cheers
Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #2058
jchuillier

Too late, it's in the car

When you look at the FRONT of the unit from left to right you have...

Dtv
RCA module
Radio din connector
IPod connector
Power connector
GPS
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #2059
PainBreak

Quote:

Thx
Not yet.

I did tear into it a little last night, and found that practically everything is the same as before. The build.prop is different (DPI is 145 in this one, vs 160 in the one currently on the system) and the framework.jar is different. Beyond that, not much else has changed.

I've been hesitant for a couple of reasons, as there's a >0% chance this will brick my radio. I noticed it's rewriting the recovery partition, for some unknown reason. I'm fairly certain nothing has changed with the recovery image, so I'd have to guess these are just the default options after they hit the "Create an update" button. But, it's concerning, to say the least, that it would be attempting to do this.

Forgive me, if the level of trust is lacking a bit.

Quote:

Bad ass. Glad you got it working! And yeah...you'd definitely not get any sound with the blue wire not working. That's the factory amp's "remote turn-on."

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-23-2013 at 09:23 AM.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #2060
PainBreak

Hey, guess what, guys! I applied the update from Charles, and...it didn't fix the GPS speed bug!

But, in a round-about way, it did fix the problem with iGO telling me it didn't support my resolution. It did this by setting the DPI to 145 from the default of 160.

Oh, and it also broke the Google Framework Services. It crashed 2 to 3 times every startup. However, I was able to resolve that by clearing the data from the Google Framework Services, and then installing the update.zip that provides root, that was linked earlier in the thread. After that, I was able to rename the current /system/framework/framework.jar to framework.jar.old, and copy in the framework.jar that I modified to resolve the GPS speed bug.

After all of that... I can now use iGO with the built-in GPS. Although I have found that iGO has a time zone bug (I'm GMT-6 and it's showing GMT for some reason), so if I leave at 1pm for a 30 minute trip, it tells me I will arrive at 7:30pm. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm.... Buggy. That's not the fault of Enco, though, that's an iGO problem.

So, here's the skinny.
1. Don't install the patch from Charles. It's worthless.
2. Root your 4.0.4 radio with the update.zip posted here: http://www.mediafire.com/?cj853v4gzn66i2o
3. Use one of the many DPI switchers on the market to change your DPI to 145 rather than 160
4. Enjoy iGO? I guess?
5. Realize that the driver for the GPS is still broken, because it doesn't report accuracy data via GetAccuracy(), so Google Navigation will not work until that is somehow fixed.
6. I will post my framework.jar for people who want to replace theirs, and get the proper groundspeed, as it fixes the GetSpeed() bug. This is dangerous, requires you to be rooted, and can break your radio. You are warned. Custom framework.jar to fix speed being 1.852% faster than normal.

Charles, you're a dick.

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-23-2013 at 09:30 PM.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote