E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
screamotaku

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Electrical shutoff while driving.... help.

And even more problems with my "ultimate driving machine." So heres the issue, when I'm driving my 2001 330ci sometimes the power will randomly cut, not the engine but all of the electrical stuff and all of my lights light up (oil, battery, dsc, brake, check engine, etc). I turn the key off and on and everything is fine and I drive away. I also have a crack in the radiator, so at first I thought "its spitting collant onto the connections for my angel eyes." Taped everything off with friction tape and E tape, and it just happened again. What could be causing this? I'm getting about 14 volts from the battery when the cars on so I don't think its the alternator or could I be wrong? I already have to fix a radiator but I dont have the time. Is there anyone who could help me out here?
screamotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
screamotaku

It's also important to note that my power steering dies as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Fix your leaking cooling system, check your battery connections, and clarify what's going on...it's cutting off while you're moving, and you cycle the key (while still moving) and it is fine...or when you lose power, you pull over, and restart the car and it's good?

Could be a loose cable on battery--pull up on the clamp to make sure...look into the bst connection too.

In any case, coolant on belts will affect voltage in that the alt belt could slip...as would the PS pulley...and if your wp is slipping, combined with a leaking radiator, you could be in for a world of hurt and payments for large repairs.

I suspect that maybe you have a bad pulley that's seizing and coolant on belts...which would cause belt to stop at times...no power, no steering, no wp.

You need to stop driving it and fix it. Sorry.

Oh, and if you don't DIY yet, either learn or maybe try your regional forum to see if someone can help you with this stuff. You have some great enthusiast mechanics out there...see if you're close to either Cyberkaa or e46Mango

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 01-22-2013 at 04:25 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
screamotaku

Okay thanks for the advice. I need to let myself cool down before anything. I'll stop driving it for now.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
dmax

Good thinking. Use good flashlight, read up on stuff, plan your work and work your plan.

While at your cooling system, read Mango's sticky and if you have the money, do it all and don't worry about the cooling system for years (except for periodic drain/refill).

Remove belts, turn pulleys...if you're lucky, one won't be turning so well. Replace all three if you find one bad...search 'pulley' in thread title.

Also, your radiator may be leaking, or it could be ET, ET cap, bleeder screw, failed hose. Radiator usually leaks between black sidepod and aluminum...there's a gasket in between (unsericeable). It will sometimes crack at the neck where the upper hose fits, but not too often I don't think.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
screamotaku

Alright. Thanks for all the info. Hopefully I won't have to spend too much on repairs.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamotaku View Post
Alright. Thanks for all the info. Hopefully I won't have to spend too much on repairs.
You might not if you DIY. You planning on that?

A recent set

Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
No need for anybody else here.

This thread is well looked after with Dmax

+1 on the battery connections, pull up on them to be sure they're nice and snug, if you're battery isn't secure, it could shift just enough to wiggle the possibly loose connections, and cause temporary loss of power/brownouts, on braking, and acceleration.

GL.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 01-22-2013 at 05:50 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
dmax

Stop it, Michael! lol

I hate being along in a thread...it's too much pressure...and honestly, it's awkward for an OP, who usually would want some unanimity of opinion.

(BTW, don't mention any of my other threads to OP, right now he thinks I know my stuff...if he finds out about my beagle issues, that would end very quickly!)

A recent set

Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Advanced search: Dmax, Love kit.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
not disregarding what was just said but is it just a jolt off and back on, or do you have to pull over and restart?
|2eckLesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
screamotaku

Well I do plan on DIY. My dad knows more about this stuff than I do (I'm still pretty young hahah) so we're gonna do any and all work ourselves. But yes, I am able to shut down and start back up while the car is rolling, no need for pulling over. I'll make sure to recheck the battery. The first time I checked, it felt alright. But aside from that I'll make sure to get the cooling system fixed, then work on the pulleys.

Quick question also, one of my angel eyes just half went out and there appears to be moisture in the light itself (Problems on top of problems,) would that be affected by my leak? I'm assuming I'll have to rewire everything in there or possibly replace the whole light itself?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
screamotaku

Alright so the battery connections are all good, I have already located the leak on my radiator so that is gonna be repaired ASAP. As of right now, I'm pickup truck bound hahah.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
LA Prince
Banned User

My Ride: Not Your Business
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Stop it, Michael! lol

I hate being along in a thread...it's too much pressure...and honestly, it's awkward for an OP, who usually would want some unanimity of opinion.

(BTW, don't mention any of my other threads to OP, right now he thinks I know my stuff...if he finds out about my beagle issues, that would end very quickly!)
http://http://www.google.ca/imgres?q...2&tx=122&ty=21
LA Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
LA Prince
Banned User

My Ride: Not Your Business
But if the battery cable is loose wont the whole car shut down ?
LA Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
greenskycity

My Ride: 1999 328i
Mine just did this the other day randomly as well. I was coming off the interstate to a stop light and noticed my oil pressure light on while I was coasting down in neutral. I looked and my rpms were dead and all my warning lights were on. I just pushed in the clutch and put it in third while I was rolling and let out the clutch and it started back up with no problems. This is like the third time in three years it's done it. I think based on your description yours did the same thing because you mention the power steering going dead too. I had no idea the engine was off, I suspect my icv or vanos because the rpms jump when it's cold out on a cold start. You didn't say if you had an auto or manual. Might be worth looking into.
Green

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
greenskycity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
screamotaku

I have a manual and mine's a bit different than what you're describing. Mine keeps the engine on, coasting while in gear. Then all of my warning lights come on, after that I turn the key off and on (while rolling) and then it starts back up again. But it's done it about 3 times in the past few days so it's definetly not something I should ignore.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #18
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
The reason why I asked was because I was having this issue but it was a jolt off and right back on with no turning of keys or anything. I would go around a turn, hit a bump, etc and I would have this complete loss of power but right back on. After checking everything I realized that somehow the bolt on the battery tie down had come loose and the tie down plate would touch the positive terminal. Sounds like yours is more involved then some simple fix. GL
|2eckLesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #19
dmax

I wonder if you're just stalling because of a dirty icv/tb or something. I used to stall, but it was almost always when dropping into neutral to brake quickly while the rpms were up there a little bit. If rolling, I bet you could just pop the clutch and keep going. If it happened just after a shift, that might be something to look at too.

A recent set

Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #20
PsychoCemia

My Ride: '05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Prince View Post
But if the battery cable is loose wont the whole car shut down ?
Yes, but not immediately. You'll lose the fuel pump, so you'll only be able to go about 1/2 mile before sputtering to a stop.

OP: This definitely sounds like a connection issue. Or just get your battery tested. You say you're getting 14v while the car is on, so looks like the alternator is fine.

Tags
electrical, lights, shut down