E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
glacket

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Noisy Vanos, Lifters or something else w/video

Hi, I just purchased a used 2002 330i through private sale. I am ok with everything except the tapping from the engine. I just want to make sure its not critical and hopefully wont need a new motor. i've listened to alot of different vanos, disa and tappet recordings so far and they all sound a little different so i figured i would post mine as well. Anyone have an idea of what this could be? Thanks!

glacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
glacket

I forgot to mention that i checked spark plugs even though i may not have checked them right. I know absolutely nothing about cars. i figured with this car, and due to the high expense of repair, i figured it was time to learn. I watched the youtue vids on how to change spark plugs, and following that i was able to check them. All of them seemed tight to me. i loosened a few and retightened them just incase. Is there another part of the spark plug houseing that could be loose that i could check?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
05M3SMG

My Ride: bmw drop top
Send a message via AIM to 05M3SMG
When you rev it, Does the knocking get louder and faster?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
glacket

yes it does. I also checked the oil level and it looks fine. Its little dirty but i would not say it needs to be changed yet. Supposedly the person i bought it from just changed it, but as a precaution i am changing all the fluids when i can. I ended up having a "Post" sale inspection done instead of a pre sale like i should have at a decent Indy place. The technician said it sounded like either the rocker or camshaft and that it may have been caused by not being starved for oil at one point. Anyway he said a rebuilt head could fix it if it were the camshafts. He did not take the valve covers off to check for wear. that would be the next step. Since i dont know much about cars i dont know if this is something i can check since I wouldnt know how to tell if any of the parts were worn. i am guessing if i were to remove the valve cover, i would have to replace the gasket afterwards?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
If the sound gets faster when you rev it, that's not a good sign. If I had to guess, the car was overheated before and headgasket blew with introduced water into the oil and one or more of the crank or connecting rod bearings took a dump. Look for any signs of overheat/work being done on the engine

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Barneyhyphen

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Hate to say it but that sounds remarkably like a big end bearing. Too deep a sound to be a lifter and appears louder at the bottom of the block? Sounds like one or more may have wiped. Think I'm on board with Mango.

BH
Barneyhyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Yeah it doesn't sound like a noisy lifter. Noisy lifters are usually heard from the top of the engine and its a gentle ticking noise.

Yours sounds like a knocking noise.

How many miles on it?
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
glacket

The indy tech that looked at my car actually wasnt concerned about it, or maybe they just sucked. I had to mention the noise to them and apparently they had to listen to it again to and pay attention for it. the car has 130,000 miles, auto transmission. and going back on what i said before, No i do not think its get noticeably louder or faster when i rev it, but i would have to verify and pay attention. I can hear it best by the valve cover but definitly louder from underneath. its apparently had alot of owners and i bet at least one of ran the car really hard and didnt care for it properly. Im basing this off the fact that aftermarket springs were put on and they are starting to rust and one of them has a hose clamp wedged in it, possbily to compress the spring more. Also i saw a old receipt for falken tires in the paperwork, since they are cheaper tires im guessing the owner didnt have alot of money and who knows what other components they chinced out on for repairs.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
That sir.... is rod knock...
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
Nerdy46

I really hope you didn't pay much for this car....
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
glacket

Thanks for the input. I was afraid of that. definitly it sounds like i got ripped then. just curious, is it possbile to fix or would i just be better off trying to sell to someone as dumb as me?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
Video is definitely knock.

I've had lifter tick after autocross a couple times. Doesn't sound like that.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
glacket

I really appreciate the input guys. So i paid a little under 8 and it looks like i got swindled hard and apparently the Indy i took it to just sucks big time or was being nice and didnt want to tell me i got bent hard. What are my options from here? I would like to keep the money loss to as little as possible. I am guessing that fixing this would cost more than a couple thousand?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
I think any comment on what exactly that is just from that rather limited video is kind of premature. One with the engine reving a bit, and also one with an open hood would help.
That doesnt sound good, but noises always sound way way worse form the wheel with the hood closed.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
glacket

ok. I will get some more video today when i get home. its funny, the day after i got the car, i told my father in law who helped me inspect the car before purchase, that it sounded like a knocking sound. He told me it was probably noisy lifters, but he cant hear to well. oh well. Not his fault, just bad luck.The indy tech test drove the car and didnt mention the engine noise until i brought it up. even then he said it was not a problem. i should have had a pre sale inspection done, and at a more reputable indy shop i guess..
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
glacket

Ok i got two new videos. It sounds alot like knocking to me. This sucks i think i got ripped off.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
Nerdy46

Take it to another mechanic and have it looked out.

If it is a rod knock run it till it dies.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #18
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Yeah upon further review that sounds an awful lot like rod knock.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #19
Joshwa1234

My Ride: 2003 330I Sedan
Does it smoke at all from the exhaust when you rev it because it could possibly be just piston slap or a wrist pin..........
Joshwa1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #20
Nerdy46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwa1234 View Post
Does it smoke at all from the exhaust when you rev it because it could possibly be just piston slap or a wrist pin..........
Piston slap is common if you have 2 different metals with different coefficients of thermal expansion... IE aluminum pistons/ Iron block... Im new to BMW's but i think post m50 most blocks are aluminum...

Or if your rings are shot to all hell...

Last edited by Nerdy46; 01-25-2013 at 11:57 PM.