E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #21
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Because....

1) It has WAY more presence. There are at least 8 soccer moms driving 991s in my town. I have NEVER seen a non-enthusiast drive a Viper.

2) It looks better.

3) Its more fun.
4) Its more fun.
5) It's more fun.
6) It's more fun.

7) Its a comfortable vehicle for daily driving, and when driven normally, extremely easy to drive.

8) It's A LOT more fun.
9) Its FAR more exotic.

10) It's one of the most fun vehicles to drive ever.

The above comments are based on the SRT10 Viper, assuming this one is even better. I have driven the SRT10 on many occasions (friend owns one) and it puts a sh!teating grin on your face like nothing I have driven.

On a racetrack, sure, a 911 is probably sharper, etc, but as a street driven exotic? The Viper is in a league of it's own.

P.S. Chrysler is now owned by Fiat, which as you know, is Italian. Their CEO is Italian as well.
Change up the model of the 911...GT2, GT2RS, GT3, and GT3RS are all monsters on the street and I bet a GT2RS could give the viper a run for it's money

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
Fergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
Well yeah, american cars are know for crap interior for the most part.... but from a reliability standpoint, I think they are turning around. I can't tell you how many times the bmw was in the shop up to 70k miles compared to the Jeep....... But my service record folder speaks volumes One is about inches thick..... the other, not so much.

In the 3+ years I had the jeep, the only "issue" outside normal wear and tear like brakes/rotor/battery was a tranny leak, which was fixed after one trip to the dealer.

Hell, my tranny was replace at 70k on the bmw....... let alone all the other stuff done to it in the prior 70k.... coils, belts, sensors, recall this, recall that, etc etc...
This is true Jeeps are freaks of nature and unbelievably rugged...My 135i has never let me down...yet. The only thing replaced was the HPFP at 15k miles and now its around 56k and not a single issue

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
The new viper looks awesome, but those workers on the line look like some of the sloppiest most uneducated tatted up workers I've ever seen on an "exotic" car line. That's the difference between Detroit and Maranello I guess. I've seen pics of the AMG line, NSX line, Ferrari line, etc. and this is the only one where they weren't wearing uniforms and looked like someone pulled them off a Detroit street corner.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #24
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Uhh... the Viper is extremely raw and probably worse than a 911 or R8 as a DD. It is faster (I believe) than a 911.

More fun is totally subjective. It is most definitely rawer.

I'd have to drive them extensively before making my mind up if I had that kinda cash. And I think a GT3 is a better comparison.

What is not subjective is that a Viper is not more exotic than an R8, and is probably equal to a 911.
Im in NY. I am also in Miami a lot. I see R8s, Phantoms, Bentley Contis, Gallardos, 458s, Murci's on a daily basis. People don't even bat an eye for them in NY. I see MAYBE 1 Viper every 3 months, 1 Ford GT every 6 months, and 1 NSX per year MAYBE. The Viper LOOKS much more exotic than an R8, is FAR rarer than an R8, and has A LOT more theater than an R8.

My friends viper was very comfortable. It drives nicely (thanks to tires bigger than steamrollers), suspension soaks the bumps fairly well, it has a decent amount of room, etc. I couldnt really complain. It was more comfortable than my s2000, which is almost as raw as a vehicle gets. A friend of mine had a 996 GT3. It was one of the worst cars I have ever driven on the street. Sure, on the track is was excellent but to go pick a girl up, cruise around town to a car meet, etc? It was like being trown down a flight of stairs. My friends father was VERY close to buying an R8. We went to the dealer, and he was ready to pull the trigger....he drove it....then he drove the S5. To him, it wasn't worth it. It was just not crazy enough. It felt like a lighter S5 to him. On the street, you would almost not see the benefit of a V8 R8. The looks are amazing, but to me, the shine has worn off, and fast. I treat R8s like I treat a nicely modded M3 or S5....awesome, but not OMFGZOMG. A viper, even an old RT, ALWAYS gets my attention. The noise, the theater....its something else.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
The new viper looks awesome, but those workers on the line look like some of the sloppiest most uneducated tatted up workers I've ever seen on an "exotic" car line. That's the difference between Detroit and Maranello I guess. I've seen pics of the AMG line, NSX line, Ferrari line, etc. and this is the only one where they weren't wearing uniforms and looked like someone pulled them off a Detroit street corner.
If the Viper was built by Mercedes, it would cost $300000. I agree, the production line at the factories you mentioned are far more impressive. I don't mind the tats and stuff, but I do wish they had to at least wear some decent uniforms ....but then again, since they aren't really seen, I see no reason why people shouldn't be comfortable. Thats the problem with Germans (and their cars.) They are too serious. They need to lighten up and do something crazy once in a while. You can't imagine AMG workers covering their bosses office in seran wrap right?

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-22-2013 at 09:34 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
Change up the model of the 911...GT2, GT2RS, GT3, and GT3RS are all monsters on the street and I bet a GT2RS could give the viper a run for it's money
What do you mean monster on the street? Light to light? I don't know anyone who owns an exotic car that is street driven that uses it for "monster" purposes. My friend with the Viper takes in on Sunday drives, goes to the city to pick up chicks, and go to car meets. I have never driven a GT series 911 that was comfortable on the street.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-22-2013 at 09:34 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #27
OkStateMET

My Ride: 1999 323i
How ever awful that video was, it's still a beautiful car.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #28
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Im in NY. I am also in Miami a lot. I see R8s, Phantoms, Bentley Contis, Gallardos, 458s, Murci's on a daily basis. People don't even bat an eye for them in NY. I see MAYBE 1 Viper every 3 months, 1 Ford GT every 6 months, and 1 NSX per year MAYBE. The Viper LOOKS much more exotic than an R8, is FAR rarer than an R8, and has A LOT more theater than an R8.

My friends viper was very comfortable. It drives nicely (thanks to tires bigger than steamrollers), suspension soaks the bumps fairly well, it has a decent amount of room, etc. I couldnt really complain. It was more comfortable than my s2000, which is almost as raw as a vehicle gets. A friend of mine had a 996 GT3. It was one of the worst cars I have ever driven on the street. Sure, on the track is was excellent but to go pick a girl up, cruise around town to a car meet, etc? It was like being trown down a flight of stairs. My friends father was VERY close to buying an R8. We went to the dealer, and he was ready to pull the trigger....he drove it....then he drove the S5. To him, it wasn't worth it. It was just not crazy enough. It felt like a lighter S5 to him. On the street, you would almost not see the benefit of a V8 R8. The looks are amazing, but to me, the shine has worn off, and fast. I treat R8s like I treat a nicely modded M3 or S5....awesome, but not OMFGZOMG. A viper, even an old RT, ALWAYS gets my attention. The noise, the theater....its something else.
I don't think it's worth it to pick apart your post as most of this stuff is indeed subjective.

I do agree that the shine of the R8 has worn off.

I do believe there is a difference between rare and exotic.

And bigger (wider) tires generally make a car harsher/stiffer/tramline more- not less.

The interior of the older Viper is not up to spec for a DD. And I wish it redlined higher.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #29
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I don't think it's worth it to pick apart your post as most of this stuff is indeed subjective.

I do agree that the shine of the R8 has worn off.

I do believe there is a difference between rare and exotic.

And bigger (wider) tires generally make a car harsher/stiffer/tramline more- not less.

The interior of the older Viper is not up to spec for a DD. And I wish it redlined higher.

How do you figure? My s2000 INSTANTLY had a better ride when I went with wider tires. Wider tires decrease the load per square inch, resulting in a smoother ride. Tramline, yes.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #30
Grande D

Quote:
How do you figure? My s2000 INSTANTLY had a better ride when I went with wider tires. Wider tires decrease the load per square inch, resulting in a smoother ride. Tramline, yes.
They increase impact harshness.

Did you change tires? How worn were the old ones?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #31
NFRs2000nyc

I changed my 16s to 18s with wider tires. Weight was 1.5lbs increase per corner.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #32
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
Wranglers are a different type of beast! But the interiors of american cars leaves a lot to be desired. My dad just purchased a 2013 F150 Platinum edition and for a ~52k truck the interior was not up to par with a german counterpart in the same price range.
What would be a German counterpart for the same price range of a F150 Platinum?

I'm assuming a crew-cab and a 4x4? That's a large truck built to do some really heavy stuff, along with seating 5 people in full leather, comfortable, and able to tow boat. There is no European comparison for a fullly loaded American truck.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #33
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I View Post
What would be a German counterpart for the same price range of a F150 Platinum?

I'm assuming a crew-cab and a 4x4? That's a large truck built to do some really heavy stuff, along with seating 5 people in full leather, comfortable, and able to tow boat. There is no European comparison for a fullly loaded American truck.
Tell me more

Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #34
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Tell me more

I don't see too many construction guys swapping out their pickups for Touregs.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #35
Fergo

Quote:
Tell me more

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #36
Fergo

Quote:
What do you mean monster on the street? Light to light? I don't know anyone who owns an exotic car that is street driven that uses it for "monster" purposes. My friend with the Viper takes in on Sunday drives, goes to the city to pick up chicks, and go to car meets. I have never driven a GT series 911 that was comfortable on the street.
What the fvck dude? lol light to light really? I'm talking about cruising some mountain roads, pulls on highway etc...lol light to light. Maybe thats the only type of driving done in NYC Please tell me what GT series Porsche was uncomfortable.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos

Last edited by Fergo; 01-22-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #37
Grande D

Quote:
I don't see too many construction guys swapping out their pickups for Touregs.
Dernd rednecks all of em', dontcha know.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #38
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
For that money, why on Earth would anyone purchase an American product (let alone a Chrysler) as opposed to a Porsche 911, M6, or even an Audi R8?
There are all sorts of crazy people.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #39
Grande D

Quote:
I changed my 16s to 18s with wider tires. Weight was 1.5lbs increase per corner.
Aww someones gotta AP1.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #40
Fergo

2 easy 2 make hp turbos