E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #581
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
Not too hard, just time consuming.

That's why I can't believe it's off
Never go counterclock wise. Go a tad will throw it all off...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #582
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
After the time involved anyone could mix a step up or do something backwards. If enough people do the job, someone's bound to slip up eventually. To say its simply following steps is removing the human element. Mistakes happen. Most of us are just lucky enough to forget things like putting back on the plastic undercover, or forgetting to loosen wheel bolts before jacking or something else easily identified and remedied. Secono was not so lucky this time.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 01-22-2013 at 11:12 PM.
jared_wiesner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #583
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Just re-did the timing and took it for a drive. Everything seems to be working better than before. No more hesitation.

Driving impressions:
This thing pulls HARD. I love it. Especially after 5k it just freaking opens up. The low end torque is nuts (from the new vanos seals). Also the sound is just...
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #584
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Just re-did the timing and took it for a drive. Everything seems to be working better than before. No more hesitation.

Driving impressions:
This thing pulls HARD. I love it. Especially after 5k it just freaking opens up. The low end torque is nuts (from the new vanos seals). Also the sound is just...
Great to hear it!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #585
secono330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
Great to hear it!
Thanks! Yea it happens, just glad I got it right the second time
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #586
secono330ci

Or not...code p0014 came up again when I started the car. WTF.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #587
jared_wiesner

Your sure your getting the Vanos alignment right? And the exhaust side cam sensor is plugged in for sure right?

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 01-23-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #588
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Your sure your getting the Vanos alignment right? And the exhaust side cam sensor is plugged in for sure right?
That is exactly what I was thinking. This sounds like a VANOS alignment problem.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #589
secono330ci

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking. This sounds like a VANOS alignment problem.
The sensor is plugged in yes. What do you mean by Vanos alignment? I followed the assembly here step by step..http://germanautosolutions.com/diy_t..._tools_diy.php
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #590
SoloII///M

If you followed all those steps you shouldn't be having any problems.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #591
jared_wiesner

Vanos alignment is the part where you use the Vanos jig or the pins they provide in their personal set to set the Vanos pistons to their proper place (pushed in/out relative to each other and the cams)

Did you use the GAS personal kit or the premium kit or get the tools elsewhere?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #592
secono330ci

Used the GAS Professional Kit
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #593
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
take pics of steps next time? had to do mine the second time but its much better and don't throw a light but I am going to redo it again soon...

-Anthony
Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #594
jared_wiesner

Ok, well I definitely know the GAS kit works. Hmm, there is very little room for error when setting those pistons with it too. It's always possible that somehow the cam sensor got damaged during the install but seems unlikely. It's really hard to know where to start. From what I gather, that code is suggesting the exhaust cam is too far advanced out of range. In other words, the computer has is seeing the exhaust cam as too far retarded to bring back within tolerance using vanos because it started too far in the advanced position. Or maybe I'm backwards and it started too far retarded and can't be advanced enough. Either way something is off or the sensor is not reading right. The only thing that differed from my install is the Vanos seals. Did everything go well there? Anything that maybe didn't work the way you expected?

My other thought is maybe the chain tensioner tool wasn't set up right and over/under tensioned the chain and threw off the timing?

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 01-23-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #595
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Ok, well I definitely know the GAS kit works. Hmm, there is very little room for error when setting those pistons with it too. It's always possible that somehow the cam sensor got damaged during the install but seems unlikely. It's really hard to know where to start. From what I gather, that code is suggesting the exhaust cam is too far advanced out of range. In other words, the computer has is seeing the exhaust cam as too far retarded to bring back within tolerance using vanos because it started too far in the advanced position. Or maybe I'm backwards and it started too far retarded and can't be advanced enough. Either way something is off or the sensor is not reading right. The only thing that differed from my install is the Vanos seals. Did everything go well there? Anything that maybe didn't work the way you expected?

My other thought is maybe the chain tensioner tool wasn't set up right and over/under tensioned the chain and threw off the timing?
Send u a pm with # in a few
Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #596
secono330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
take pics of steps next time? had to do mine the second time but its much better and don't throw a light but I am going to redo it again soon...

-Anthony
Ok I will snap some pics

Quote:

Interesting point about the chain tensioner tool. To be honest, I couldn't really tell how much I was suppose to tighten it. I may have over tightened it.

I'm going to open up the Vanos and check if the seals are properly seated. Also gonna swap the Vanos solenoids and see if the code switches to the intake side.

Do you think maybe the AA tune I have can affect this?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #597
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Ok I will snap some pics

Interesting point about the chain tensioner tool. To be honest, I couldn't really tell how much I was suppose to tighten it. I may have over tightened it.

Do you think maybe the AA tune I have can affect this?
Tensioner is the problem. Once I get back in town will hit u up. Tune shouldn't matter. They only mess with fuel maps...
Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #598
secono330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Tensioner is the problem. Once I get back in town will hit u up. Tune shouldn't matter. They only mess with fuel maps...
Ok sounds good. Hopefully it is the tensioner.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #599
SoloII///M

When I did my cams I didn't have the tensioner tool. I modified the stock tensioner to eliminate the spring temporarily and replaced it with a section of rubber tubing. You don't have to crank it down - the goal is just to take up the slack on the exhaust side of the timing chain.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #600
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M View Post
When I did my cams I didn't have the tensioner tool. I modified the stock tensioner to eliminate the spring temporarily and replaced it with a section of rubber tubing. You don't have to crank it down - the goal is just to take up the slack on the exhaust side of the timing chain.
Exactly, you have to make sure to take up all the slack but also not crank it to high heaven either.