E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 66 votes, 4.97 average.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #2041
CTRob

My Ride: Alpine white e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
So if you buy DTV I STRONGLY suggest you get this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-Male-Plu...item460398e49d

It costs nothing so it's not a price matter, just that they could think about it....
The DTV uses an SMA connector and not coaxial??
CTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #2042
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
yep, only the normal radio uses coax, and if you have the system in the boot you need to get your own antenna because it is not provided and the ling cable does not include a wire for the antenna.

In the back of the car you get a small connector type fakra" and in the enco you get a DIN entrance (and don't forget to get a 90 DIN otherwise it won't fit)

Good product, unfinished....probably the same with the dynavin though
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #2043
CTRob

Quote:
yep, only the normal radio uses coax, and if you have the system in the boot you need to get your own antenna because it is not provided and the ling cable does not include a wire for the antenna.

In the back of the car you get a small connector type fakra" and in the enco you get a DIN entrance (and don't forget to get a 90 DIN otherwise it won't fit)

Good product, unfinished....probably the same with the dynavin though
Would you mind taking a pic of the back of the unit IE all the various ports?

I know you did one yesterday but I would like to see what the radio antenna connector looks like.

Cheers
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #2044
jchuillier

Too late, it's in the car

When you look at the FRONT of the unit from left to right you have...

Dtv
RCA module
Radio din connector
IPod connector
Power connector
GPS
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #2045
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Painbreak, did you have the chance to test Charles update vs the forum one ?

Thx
Not yet.

I did tear into it a little last night, and found that practically everything is the same as before. The build.prop is different (DPI is 145 in this one, vs 160 in the one currently on the system) and the framework.jar is different. Beyond that, not much else has changed.

I've been hesitant for a couple of reasons, as there's a >0% chance this will brick my radio. I noticed it's rewriting the recovery partition, for some unknown reason. I'm fairly certain nothing has changed with the recovery image, so I'd have to guess these are just the default options after they hit the "Create an update" button. But, it's concerning, to say the least, that it would be attempting to do this.

Forgive me, if the level of trust is lacking a bit.

Quote:
And another good news from our great testing friends at ENCO....

First the good news, my cable is fixed, the sound works....1 wire cut (ground for FL speaker) and 1 wire misplaced in the loom (the blue one that comes from the antenna and that goes to amp ctrl).

Then the bad news, with the DTV antenna provided by them, the unit won't fit in the car because the DTV antenna sticks out and hits the fan duct.....I wonder how they can run a business so unprofessionally....
Bad ass. Glad you got it working! And yeah...you'd definitely not get any sound with the blue wire not working. That's the factory amp's "remote turn-on."

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-23-2013 at 10:23 AM.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #2046
PainBreak

Hey, guess what, guys! I applied the update from Charles, and...it didn't fix the GPS speed bug!

But, in a round-about way, it did fix the problem with iGO telling me it didn't support my resolution. It did this by setting the DPI to 145 from the default of 160.

Oh, and it also broke the Google Framework Services. It crashed 2 to 3 times every startup. However, I was able to resolve that by clearing the data from the Google Framework Services, and then installing the update.zip that provides root, that was linked earlier in the thread. After that, I was able to rename the current /system/framework/framework.jar to framework.jar.old, and copy in the framework.jar that I modified to resolve the GPS speed bug.

After all of that... I can now use iGO with the built-in GPS. Although I have found that iGO has a time zone bug (I'm GMT-6 and it's showing GMT for some reason), so if I leave at 1pm for a 30 minute trip, it tells me I will arrive at 7:30pm. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm.... Buggy. That's not the fault of Enco, though, that's an iGO problem.

So, here's the skinny.
1. Don't install the patch from Charles. It's worthless.
2. Root your 4.0.4 radio with the update.zip posted here: http://www.mediafire.com/?cj853v4gzn66i2o
3. Use one of the many DPI switchers on the market to change your DPI to 145 rather than 160
4. Enjoy iGO? I guess?
5. Realize that the driver for the GPS is still broken, because it doesn't report accuracy data via GetAccuracy(), so Google Navigation will not work until that is somehow fixed.
6. I will post my framework.jar for people who want to replace theirs, and get the proper groundspeed, as it fixes the GetSpeed() bug. This is dangerous, requires you to be rooted, and can break your radio. You are warned. Custom framework.jar to fix speed being 1.852% faster than normal.

Charles, you're a dick.

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-23-2013 at 10:30 PM.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #2047
madbull1986

My Ride: 320d Touring
Great job PainBreak
Only one thing, are you going that fast and taking pictures while driving?
Thanks again...

After all this, PainBreak you will continue to push Charles with the paypal dispute until we gives a full working update?

Last edited by madbull1986; 01-23-2013 at 07:37 PM.
madbull1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #2048
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
Great job man! keep up the work.
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #2049
china man

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG
I will need to try and update the unit with the update.zip moved to the nano side of the memory. Shame I won't have time until next week now.

My google play cannot establish a reliable connection with server, is that the same as google framework broke?

Good work Painbreak.

Where you guys over the pond trying to get igo and google working as nav, I am trying to get the tomtom, it keep crash back to desktop during start up. Do you guys in US use Tomtom?
china man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #2050
jchuillier

Well well well....

Thanks Painbreak for the efforts and danger in trying the Charles update...we'll stay out of it.

About the iGo bug, let's be a bit evil, the unit is rooted, so we can install apks not coming from the market but from....let's say torrent sites, I'll give navigon, copilot and tomtom a shot to check...

This being said I drove yesterday with iGo not rooted and not patched yesterday and I liked the part where he told me that I'd use 2 minutes to make 17 km....boy I was FAAAAAAST....

I guess my opinion is now more than ever set, good product, sh....it people...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #2051
CTRob

Quote:
Well well well....

Thanks Painbreak for the efforts and danger in trying the Charles update...we'll stay out of it.

About the iGo bug, let's be a bit evil, the unit is rooted, so we can install apks not coming from the market but from....let's say torrent sites, I'll give navigon, copilot and tomtom a shot to check...

This being said I drove yesterday with iGo not rooted and not patched yesterday and I liked the part where he told me that I'd use 2 minutes to make 17 km....boy I was FAAAAAAST....

I guess my opinion is now more than ever set, good product, sh....it people...
Folks I really do appreciate the effort you guys are making with this!

I will 100% be joining the ranks and ordering the unit if we can someone sort Google Nav out - that's my Nav program of choice
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #2052
siffion

My Ride: 330ci Vert M Sport
Lol. That's funny.

What's your thoughts on getting bluetooth working via a dongle on the droid side.

Get torque to work on this and it'll be rocking.

Iirc however torque will work via a wifi obd dongle once unit is rooted
siffion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #2053
CTRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by siffion View Post
Lol. That's funny.

What's your thoughts on getting bluetooth working via a dongle on the droid side.

Get torque to work on this and it'll be rocking.

Iirc however torque will work via a wifi obd dongle once unit is rooted
I'm hoping Torque will work over a USB cable conenction conencted into a USB Hub to this thing.
I could have the cable plugged into the OBD port and feed the cable behind the dash permanently
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #2054
siffion

My Ride: 330ci Vert M Sport
Makes sense. Does torque support direct connection
siffion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #2055
Mman004

My Ride: 2000 E46
Thanks everyone for the effort made on this!!!

Do you know if it will be possible to have a pdc display like dynavin has added to these units?
Mman004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #2056
CTRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by siffion View Post
Makes sense. Does torque support direct connection
I think from Honeycomb (Android 3.1) upwards it does support a USB connection.

http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/USB[

Last edited by CTRob; 01-24-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #2057
PainBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mman004 View Post
Thanks everyone for the effort made on this!!!

Do you know if it will be possible to have a pdc display like dynavin has added to these units?
I don't see this as ever being an option on these, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
Folks I really do appreciate the effort you guys are making with this!

I will 100% be joining the ranks and ordering the unit if we can someone sort Google Nav out - that's my Nav program of choice
I don't see Google Nav working for quite some time. I'll try to explain why, without being too technical. Google Nav requires three separate things from the GPS in order to give you turn-by-turn mode.

1. GPS Coordinates fed to it on a consistent basis. [X]
2. Relatively Accurate ground speed data. [X] (with my framework.jar)
3. Location Accuracy Info. [ ]

For some reason, the GPS driver on this doesn't provide accuracy information to the framework. If you were to use your phone, and fire up GPS Status and Toolbox, and walk around, you'd see that the "Error" would constantly change, in meters (or feet, depending on your settings) as the nmea strings change.

Why does Google Nav require this? I can only speculate, and there's a long list of reasons...but none of them are really valid. Essentially, there are two ways to get your location on Android: Google Location Services, and GPS data. Google Location Services uses cell tower triangulation, ip 2 location data, nearby wifi beacon info, and voodoo, in order to get your location. When it uses this, the accuracy is set to ACCURACY_COARSE, and turn-by-turn mode says "Searching for GPS..." When it uses GPS, it wants real accuracy data, and when that data starts flowing in, it sets a variable to ACCURACY_FINE and says, "Cool, now we can do turn-by-turn."

So, this is a two (or three, depending on how you look at it) part bug.
#1. If Google Nav is using location data from a provider that doesn't supply location accuracy data that triggers ACCURACY_FINE, it says, "NO NAV FOR YOU!"
#2. If our GPS driver actually gave that data, Google Nav would work.
(#3. The framework allows you to set int ACCURACY_FINE as a requirement for a particular feature in your code. The ACCURACY_FINE feature should be able to be triggered by a secondary method, nmea strings being fed to it at a particular rate, rather than requiring granular accuracy data from the framework.)

Some day, I'm going to pry open the APK of Google Maps, and see if I can use a hex editor to yank out that requirement for the turn-by-turn portion. I've never done this, and don't know where to start, but...it's stupid.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #2058
Barto89

My Ride: E46 320 cabrio
hi! in the piece circled in red, what is the remote cable for amplifier??

Barto89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #2059
PainBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto89 View Post
hi! in the piece circled in red, what is the remote cable for amplifier??

The Amp Remote Turn-On wire is the thinner blue one. The thicker one is a speaker wire.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #2060
CTRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
I don't see Google Nav working for quite some time....
PainBreak in that case I think the only way this is going to be fixed is if you are able to fix it (your free time allowing of course) because it looks like Szenco aren't sure how to fix it.
I'm 100% behind you if you take this on pal
Again free time permitting perhaps you could do something similar in time to what M3Evolution did with the Dynavin - Perhaps you could make a custom ROM for the new Android 4. O/S systems with tweaks and fixes!?
You could even setup a paypal fund, I for one wouldn't mind donating for a decent ROM for the unit