E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
SuperSleeper

My Ride: 2003 330CIC
Question DVR cams now make sense?

So my car has been hit 3 times while parked (don't ever buy silver car they are invisible). My insurance deductible is $500 a pop. The insurance company said if I had a video of it they would have waved the deductible.

I have a 4-camera dvr I got off woot for $150 that I was going to put on the house but never did. It runs off 12v DC! The cameras are infrared/waterproof. They are kinda large and unsightly. I was staring at the ass of my car wondering where I was going to place these things, then it hit me. The rear fogs! I could completely conceal these things inside the housing, all I would need to do is replace the red with clear plastic or find some aftermarket fogs that would work. The front of the car is easy as I could mount these cameras in the grills, or the front fogs.

Next to consider is the power drain. A standard sata hd will take considerable power constantly running, so a small and slow/cheap solid state would do nicely. Plus it's best not to have moving parts while hitting bumps, etc. I have a 20 watt solar panel that I was considering canabolizing and mounting to the convertible top decklid. I'd want to do a nice plush job with that too as to not have unsightly wires and such. I was considering mounting the solar panel anyway with the amount of electronics I run in the car. This panel charges a full car battery on a cloudy day easily, and will have no problems keeping a dvr happy.

The dvr housing is small and slim, and fits nicely in between the spare tire and the cover next to my amp. I have all the wiring I need right there. My 16x9 MKV NAV unit has aftermarket composite video input for the dvr video out. That is tested and works nicely. It can also serve as a driving/blindspot/parking aid.

This project almost seems too good to be true. Not sure if I have the time to tinker around with it, but it wouldn't be much, if anything out of pocket to try it. I used to think it ridiculous, but insurance deductibles and lower monthly rates justify it pretty easily.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Power drain just to run the cameras is excessive for your battery, and the sun doesn't shine enough (someone tell Obama).
Best to just bite the bullet and get a dash cam deal from eBay or whatever. Very cheap all the way to mid priced reliable units.
I just bought a forward facing unit that is completely automatic. Sleeps when car is parked, contains GPS, records in HD, activates when bumped, moving, or detects motion.
Got it for $179 delivered from South Korea. Like the size of a pack of cigarettes and windshield mounts.
They make front and rear facing units too. And all other varieties.

https://www.y--t---.com/watch?v=LihOpDmQZgc
You know what letters to fill in.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Would it be possible to use it's own dedicated power source that is recharged when the car is operating and/or the solar cells?
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Stinger9

Sure, but you're getting into relatively sophisticated circuit design, and why the drastic motivation? You're never going to duplicate what the asians design for really cheap.
I'll answer your electronic questions, but know that I know how to do this and I wouldn't do it.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
Would it be possible to use it's own dedicated power source that is recharged when the car is operating and/or the solar cells?
That's actually not a bad idea. A motorcycle battery connected to the solar charger would probably work fairly well.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Get the Blackvue dr400g-hd. I have that in my car that runs whenever I'm driving. You can get like 10-11 hours at 720p on a 32gb card.

I'm going to paint mines black btw.

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
That's actually not a bad idea. A motorcycle battery connected to the solar charger would probably work fairly well.
How are you going to prevent overcharging?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Get the Blackvue dr400g-hd. I have that in my car that runs whenever I'm driving. You can get like 10-11 hours at 720p on a 32gb card.
Read the reviews on Amazon. Lots of fails due to overheating burnout.
That's why it's not the one I bought.

Does the Blackvue monitor things when your car is parked and turn on automatically?

Where do you take your power from? Overhead or cigarette lighter?

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-23-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
warriorpluto

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Power drain just to run the cameras is excessive for your battery, and the sun doesn't shine enough (someone tell Obama).
Best to just bite the bullet and get a dash cam deal from eBay or whatever. Very cheap all the way to mid priced reliable units.
I just bought a forward facing unit that is completely automatic. Sleeps when car is parked, contains GPS, records in HD, activates when bumped, moving, or detects motion.
Got it for $179 delivered from South Korea. Like the size of a pack of cigarettes and windshield mounts.
They make front and rear facing units too. And all other varieties.

https://www.y--t---.com/watch?v=LihOpDmQZgc
You know what letters to fill in.
What's the name of the camera you bought

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
warriorpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Read the reviews on Amazon. Lots of fails due to overheating burnout.
That's why it's not the one I bought.

Does the Blackvue monitor things when your car is parked and turn on automatically?

Where do you take your power from? Overhead or cigarette lighter?
I have zero heat issues even on super hot days in the summer time. I have it hardwired to the sunroof motor wiring up above just like a radar detector. I don't use parking mode.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Stinger9

Quote:
I have zero heat issues even on super hot days in the summer time. I have it hardwired to the sunroof motor wiring up above just like a radar detector. I don't use parking mode.
Interestng. Thanks for the info.
So when you give up parking protection because you are wired to a switched power source, that's one of the reasons I've sprung for the camera. This very post would have caught the offender with a parking cam.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorpluto View Post
What's the name of the camera you bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITRONICS-iPa...10f3d2&vxp=mtr

One month ago was selling for $179 free shipping
Don't know what happened to price.

itronics IBT-100HD

I tried to attach the pdf manual, but 15.8mb too large for here.
Could email it if you were serious.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Lobstrosity

My Ride: 2003 325xi Touring
Have you researched many of the available cameras? I would like something as inconspicuous as possible, so this one fits the bill:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-720P-Smal...-/251057417913

But I'm obviously pretty concerned over the cheap price, and lack of any sample output footage. I guess my biggest concern is the quality of video that these produce.

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITRONICS-iPa...10f3d2&vxp=mtr

One month ago was selling for $179 free shipping
Don't know what happened to price.

itronics IBT-100HD

I tried to attach the pdf manual, but 15.8mb too large for here.
Could email it if you were serious.
Lobstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
i have one...$40 i hardwired it.

more info and pics:http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=382384&page=9

Last edited by omhl; 01-23-2013 at 05:40 PM.
omhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstrosity View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-720P-Smal...-/251057417913

But I'm obviously pretty concerned over the cheap price, and lack of any sample output footage. I guess my biggest concern is the quality of video that these produce.
Usually even the cheapies do a decent job on the HD. The cheap price results from a lower quality unit with perhaps less reliability.
I've tried out the iTRONICS unit I bought and the picture is totally sharp and OK.
It comes with PC software (no mac) to display the movie with GPS locator maps that follow the pictures. Or you can just put the memory card in a computer and play the movie files without the software.

I've watched youtube reviews for cheapie thumbnail movie cameras that shoot 720p HD and the pictures are amazing. Apparently the cheapest cameras are capable of startlingly clear movies. The low cost shows in other places like construction quality.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
Quote:

I'm going to paint mines black btw.

Looks pretty sweet! I am thinking of running something similar, but a cheaper dash cam. Figure it would be kind of cool to document some of the longer drives this coming spring and summer.

You got both the valentine 1 and the dash cam hooked into the same area for power, right?
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Thanks. My V1 wiring is not up there, it's in my center console because I have to run wires for the concealed display, remote audio adapter and the v1 connection.