E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Next step?

So I've had my DSLR for a little over a year, only used it off and on for the first few months. These past 6-8 months or so, I've been trying to practice a bit more. Nothing special, just a Canon T3 (as entry level as it gets), with a 50 mm 1.8. I rarely ever use the kit lens, unless I'm shooting indoors, or for something at school. Everything else, I use the 50.

Really looking to take the next step and embrace this hobby more. Planning on taking a photography class at my university next quarter before I graduate just to learn a bit more. I really want a focal lens next. Kinda leaning towards a Tamron 28-75 or a Sigma 8-16, probably the Tamron.

Oh, and I just got Lightroom, so I'm gonna start messing with that a little bit as well. Any critique is welcome!

Some random shots

Los Angeles by Vatche.K, on Flickr

Los Angeles by Vatche.K, on Flickr

Volkswagen MK6 GTI by Vatche.K, on Flickr

IMG_1660 by Vatche.K, on Flickr

IMG_1267 by Vatche.K, on Flickr

IMG_1232 by Vatche.K, on Flickr

Audi R8 GT #1 by Vatche.K, on Flickr

Ferrari F430 #1 by Vatche.K, on Flickr

The only shot I've used Lightroom with so far

Porsche 911 996 Turbo by Vatche.K, on Flickr

Any tips/pointers? A couple of buddies are gonna let me shoot their cars in the next couple of weeks, so I'm excited for my first amateur 'shoot'.

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Nice

I have Lightroom too. I get the RSS feeds from Lightroom Killer Tips site and watch videos from Jared Polin and Allen Learner. Also, the Photoshop Guys.

When I started thinking about the next step, I looked into gear and started buying. Wrong move. I ended up selling a lot of lenses because it didn't fit my needs. So, the next time I decided to rent the lenses everyone suggested I try because I knew that everyone style is different. I don't want a ton of lenses in my bag.

Ask other photogs that shoot landscape or cars which lenses they like best.
www.lensrental.com
Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
The Tammy 28-75 is a great lens for all the price point it's at. I shot with one for about 6 years and recommend it to all the people I know wanting to get into photography. I sold mine last summer for a 24-105 in order to get that extra range. They go for ~$325-$375 used so try out that market first.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
Stick with OEM lenses. You'll never be sorry.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote