E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Airborne82id

My Ride: 330CI
Clunking sound front end.

While I'm here ...

Been having this metallic sounding noise coming outta the front end, possibly the passenger side.

It happens when going over bumps or road imperfections. I tried to establish a pattern as to when it happens and it seems strangely random. I can go over a road bump, and nothing. Then a small crack on the road and I hear it. And it's not perpetual.

I'm waiting to have some time to lift her up and look under there. I did crawl down there and nothing seems outta the usual.

I know it can't be control arms and/or bushing.
Airborne82id is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
check your swaybar end links
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
When did you last refresh your suspension components?

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Airborne82id

I got this car 20k ago with 117k on odo. New Bilstein rear shock. Rear shock mount reinforcement. Shock mount rear. Rear shock compression absorber (bump stop). It's got new swaybar in the front and new power slot cryo rotors and pads all 4.

I can tell it's got original control arms and bushings- Also, I don't see any receitpts for them. Springs and shock absorber also stock and I've been contemplating on replacing them just for ride quality. I've replaced my CA and bushings on my previous e46 and they were beyond shot; didn't experience any clunking sound.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
another case of dried up lithum grease in strut mounts
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
Airborne82id

I think you're right. It does sound exactly like it's coming from a spring.

How do you fix that?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne82id View Post
I think you're right. It does sound exactly like it's coming from a spring.

How do you fix that?
pop the hood and squeeze some lithum grease into the strut mount ball bearings.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
pop the hood and squeeze some lithum grease into the strut mount ball bearings.
I'm glad I am not the only one anymore who was suggesting to grease the strut mounts.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Still need to look at your LCAB.

Check your ball joints too. I had one that was loose and caused a noise when going over bumps.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne82id View Post
While I'm here ...

Been having this metallic sounding noise coming outta the front end, possibly the passenger side.

It happens when going over bumps or road imperfections. I tried to establish a pattern as to when it happens and it seems strangely random. I can go over a road bump, and nothing. Then a small crack on the road and I hear it. And it's not perpetual.

I'm waiting to have some time to lift her up and look under there. I did crawl down there and nothing seems outta the usual.

I know it can't be control arms and/or bushing.
This .....

RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
It looks like your passenger side control arm inner ball joint is shot.

Jack both front end up, swing front right tire to full extend left and right, use a flash light careful to examine the rubber cover of the inner ball joint (one that mounted to the brake assembly, not the middle one), you may find it cracked and grease is leaking, this is the indication of a bad ball joint and will give you the clunk when go over sharp bump or road crack.

A loose or bad right sway bar bushing may also contribute to the clunking, check the bushing mounting bracket to make sure it is tight as well.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Airborne82id

I think Mercforhire suggestion is more likely the culprit.

When CAB are totally shot, it's not the sound that will alert you the most; It's the ride quality. As I've mentioned I've replaced control arms and bushings on my previous e46. This is different.

The sound sounds more like "ding", as if metal touching another metal but very hollow and light. I'm suspecting that spring, either hitting something or the bearings like Mercforhire suggested.