E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #141
stevenluczynski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: orlando
Posts: 1,401
My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by verg64 View Post
Just installed the coilover and so far so good. I'm on 17's (square) with 42mm offset. FYI the front wheels were a bit close to the springs with less than half a finger room to breath so I added a 5mm spacer.

Question, the top nut on the front coilovers seems be a special nut that requires special driver. It's hex shape on the outside with a allen type hole in the middle. Anyone know what I need to do to tighten this? It clunks when I hit a decent size bump.
You put a socket on the outside and an Allan in the middle, then hold the Allan while tightening the socket
__________________
stevenluczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #142
chapel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 5
My Ride: E36 328i
So, long term reviews? How they going?
anyone have them in a northern region? I wanted to see how they resist corrosion. I've never seen ones that are powdercoated. Most of them use a coating over the threads to keep them from seizing up.
I'm torn between these and the Solo Werks S1 coils right now.
chapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #143
daveion2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 115
My Ride: 2001 330i
I just bought a set of these yesterday, will i need spring compressors to install? im going to buy new strut mounts so i will be leaving the old struts alone
__________________
 photo f6c21330-3890-4688-91a2-dfeb05976de7.jpg
daveion2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #144
Kris@TSS
Sponsor
 
Kris@TSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 570
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel View Post
So, long term reviews? How they going?
anyone have them in a northern region? I wanted to see how they resist corrosion. I've never seen ones that are powdercoated. Most of them use a coating over the threads to keep them from seizing up.
I'm torn between these and the Solo Werks S1 coils right now.
We are offering a 45 day money back guarantee for Street Edge. Basically you have 45 to try the suspension. If you don't like it you can return the kit and receive your money back.

We are that confident in Street Edge that we can do this.

We are coming up on our first full year of Street Edge. Since these are zinc coated there should be no issues with weather elements.
__________________
Kristina "Kris" Ash
General Manager
The Suspension Source
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #145
STREETFIGHTER50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NorCal SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin
Posts: 142
My Ride: '04 Sil-Gry ZHP 6-Sp
I'm still undecided myself on what suspension & wheels i wanna go with. Are they zinc or galvanized? Also, can someone chime in on what's best in coatings for these coil over kits? Galvanized, powder coated, or zinc???
STREETFIGHTER50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #146
Kris@TSS
Sponsor
 
Kris@TSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 570
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
I'm still undecided myself on what suspension & wheels i wanna go with. Are they zinc or galvanized? Also, can someone chime in on what's best in coatings for these coil over kits? Galvanized, powder coated, or zinc???
Street Edge housing are galvanized with a coating to prevent corrosion. If you are in an area where your suspension will see the snow throughout the winter months I would highly recommend the KW coilovers that have a stainless steel housing.
__________________
Kristina "Kris" Ash
General Manager
The Suspension Source
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #147
Kris@TSS
Sponsor
 
Kris@TSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 570
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Just a heads up the FREE shipping offer expires tomorrow.
__________________
Kristina "Kris" Ash
General Manager
The Suspension Source
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #148
ericslife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver BC.
Posts: 80
My Ride: 1999 323i 4dr 5-spd.
As for a coating, I used the tech wax from Turner and sprayed the springs and body of the shock, then wiped off the excess. We get mostly rain in Nanaimo so don't worry to much about snow or even salt but a few days a year..
ericslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #149
daveion2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 115
My Ride: 2001 330i
I just Installed them and the springs are clunking. What did I do wrong?
__________________
 photo f6c21330-3890-4688-91a2-dfeb05976de7.jpg
daveion2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #150
Kris@TSS
Sponsor
 
Kris@TSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 570
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveion2002 View Post
I just Installed them and the springs are clunking. What did I do wrong?
Did you use OEM top hats? Did you torque to factory specs?
__________________
Kristina "Kris" Ash
General Manager
The Suspension Source
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #151
stevenluczynski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: orlando
Posts: 1,401
My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveion2002 View Post
I just Installed them and the springs are clunking. What did I do wrong?
Is the helper spring on top or bottom? And check your sway bar links, top hats are all tight
__________________
stevenluczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #152
daveion2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 115
My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
Did you use OEM top hats? Did you torque to factory specs?
Yes I did. torque on the top mounts
?
__________________
 photo f6c21330-3890-4688-91a2-dfeb05976de7.jpg
daveion2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #153
daveion2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 115
My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
Is the helper spring on top or bottom? And check your sway bar links, top hats are all tight
They are on the top. Sway bar links are tight, but the strut sway bar mount is not strait when the steering wheel is strait. Does that matter?
__________________
 photo f6c21330-3890-4688-91a2-dfeb05976de7.jpg
daveion2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #154
mksu19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: LAX / YVR / MNL
Posts: 60
My Ride: 04 325ci / 99 328i
Send a message via Yahoo to mksu19 Send a message via Skype™ to mksu19
I have a wagon with the sport pack, how much lower will these kit drop my car? Thanks!
__________________

Mona Bee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
I can see that I'm no longer needed in this thread, since mksu19 seems to be the expert in all things.
mksu19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #155
Kris@TSS
Sponsor
 
Kris@TSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 570
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveion2002 View Post
They are on the top. Sway bar links are tight, but the strut sway bar mount is not strait when the steering wheel is strait. Does that matter?
Did you get this resolved?
__________________
Kristina "Kris" Ash
General Manager
The Suspension Source
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #156
Kris@TSS
Sponsor
 
Kris@TSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 570
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mksu19 View Post
i have a wagon with the sport pack, how much lower will these kit drop my car? Thanks!
front 1.2"-2.8" rear 1.2"-2.0"
__________________
Kristina "Kris" Ash
General Manager
The Suspension Source
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #157
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,925
My Ride: 325Ci
Kris, I sent you a PM about these sometime ago and we had a conversation about the drop being lower than sports suspension. Or lets say, on the highest setting, these will still lower the car by 1" than sports suspension setup.

I am planning to get a set of these in summer. I will be out of the country for a couple of months.
I would like to know from the long term users, how did it fare in winter?
Not just the tires but Suspension also plays a good part in handling in the weather, also the durability on the weather will also be my concern since I am in Colorado and we do see a fair amount of snow.

My factory sport dampers are still pretty good. But I am doing a refresh of suspension in summer so was thinking to get these instead of some other spring/strut combo.

My main objectives:
1) Ride comfort equal to factory sports suspension.
2) A little lower than factory sports suspension(not too much).
3) Better handling.
4) No bouncing of rear or too much feedback.
5) What is the maximum(lowest) and minimum(highest) drop compared to sports suspension on the coupe?
6) If someone makes a DIY with some key points, like how the top washers from the factory suspension are placed and torque values that will be great.


Thanks
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #158
Kris@TSS
Sponsor
 
Kris@TSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 570
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Kris, I sent you a PM about these sometime ago and we had a conversation about the drop being lower than sports suspension. Or lets say, on the highest setting, these will still lower the car by 1" than sports suspension setup.

I am planning to get a set of these in summer. I will be out of the country for a couple of months.
I would like to know from the long term users, how did it fare in winter?
Not just the tires but Suspension also plays a good part in handling in the weather, also the durability on the weather will also be my concern since I am in Colorado and we do see a fair amount of snow.

My factory sport dampers are still pretty good. But I am doing a refresh of suspension in summer so was thinking to get these instead of some other spring/strut combo.

My main objectives:
1) Ride comfort equal to factory sports suspension.
2) A little lower than factory sports suspension(not too much).
3) Better handling.
4) No bouncing of rear or too much feedback.
5) What is the maximum(lowest) and minimum(highest) drop compared to sports suspension on the coupe?
6) If someone makes a DIY with some key points, like how the top washers from the factory suspension are placed and torque values that will be great.


Thanks
The housing is galvanized steel. It can hold up to the elements of weather. If your E46 spends most of its time under snow then KW might be a better option because they are STAINLESS STEEL.

Looks like you need an actual customer to answer the rest of your questions
__________________
Kristina "Kris" Ash
General Manager
The Suspension Source
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #159
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,925
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
The housing is galvanized steel. It can hold up to the elements of weather. If your E46 spends most of its time under snow then KW might be a better option because they are STAINLESS STEEL.

Looks like you need an actual customer to answer the rest of your questions
I dont care about the rust (I wash my car very rigorously) but I am more worried about the performance in cold. Metal shows different properties when the temperature changes. Being in Colorado, we do see a fair bit of snow but unlike other places, the snow doesnt stay on the ground for weeks. Snowed 4 inches yesterday and tomorrow we have forecast of mid 50s.

You got it right Kris, I am looking for the actual customers who are running these in snow.
I want to know about the drop and comfort level. I would hate a bouncy ride. Still deciding between Koni shocks or these coils. And I am on stock 17s, if I do change the wheels, I will not go over 18s.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #160
Kris@TSS
Sponsor
 
Kris@TSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 570
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
You should find your answers shortly. There's a good amount of people running these now.
__________________
Kristina "Kris" Ash
General Manager
The Suspension Source
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use