E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #1581
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
I'm on Olympic lifting tonight.

I hate Olympic lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #1582
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
I'm on Olympic lifting tonight.

I hate Olympic lifting.
Power cleans are hands down my favorite lift. There is nothing that feels better to rip weight off the floor and catch it in the perfect spot on your shoulders. It's almost as if the shoulders were designed to just cradle a barbell. This is the gayest thing I've ever said.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #1583
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
the squatting sounds miserable solly, whats your 5 rep max now
I honestly have no idea. I was up to about 240 I think but I feel like I can do more since last week my first set of 165 was 15 reps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Doing the same with the squatting tonight. Thursdays are always the hardest. 295x10 to start tonight.... I'm going to be really excited if I can ride this out for another 3 or 4 weeks. It may kill me, but I'll give it a shot.

I need so much sleep on this program... lol.
Good luck man. It's like night and day with my mon tues, then wed thru days. So easy the first days then yesterday and today will mess me up. My lower back tends to get pretty sore too from all the reps. My form is very good too.

Quote:
did you get inspiration for it from the smolov program, or just came up with it?
I wondered this too. Most people think I'm insane for squatting so much but I feel great
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #1584
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Power cleans are hands down my favorite lift. There is nothing that feels better to rip weight off the floor and catch it in the perfect spot on your shoulders. It's almost as if the shoulders were designed to just cradle a barbell. This is the gayest thing I've ever said.
I really like cleans too.

I also do 50 reps of every big lift, but I pyramid my sets. Sometimes getting through 50 is painstaking. I'm squatting/cleaning shortly, but I'm going for a 300 lb. front squat for 2-3 reps on Saturday. Holy hell!!!!!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-24-2013 at 10:32 AM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #1585
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I really like cleans too.

I also do 50 reps of every big lift, but I pyramid my sets. Sometimes getting through 50 is painstaking. I'm squatting/cleaning shortly, but I'm going for a 300 lb. front squat for 2-3 reps on Saturday. Holy hell!!!!!
You'll be fine. I haven't front squatted in a few weeks now. I will ride this program out for a bit and maybe try one with front squats after or a combo.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #1586
M3Inline6

Quote:
You'll be fine. I haven't front squatted in a few weeks now. I will ride this program out for a bit and maybe try one with front squats after or a combo.
Now that I front squat, I don't think I could ever stop. They tax me more than back squats, and my back squat is significantly heavier. I'm also PR'ing with a 250 lb. Military Press for 4 reps.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-24-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #1587
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
did you get inspiration for it from the smolov program, or just came up with it?
Just kind of came up with it. I dont know much about Smolov other than its high volume.

I typically think of stregnth progress coming from three things:
1. Max weight (Thursday)
2. Max reps (Tuesday / Wednesday)
3. Max speed on reps (Monday)

This program accomplishes all of those while giving you a lot of time under the bar. Recovery may be tough as you progress more weeks into it though.

We'll see how it goes. Trying new things is one of my favorite parts of lifting.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #1588
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
I think you could try the same program with front squats but I would lower the reps to 30 every day since breathing is usually more of an issue with front squats vs back squats. 10 reps minimum rep set on Wed and 5 on Thursday
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #1589
DylloS

Quote:
Now that I front squat, I don't think I could ever stop. They tax me more than back squats, and my back squat is significantly heavier. I'm also PR'ing with a 250 lb. Military Press for 4 reps.
That's a sh1t load. I have no idea what I can do but I always do standing. Is that what you do?

Quote:
Just kind of came up with it. I dont know much about Smolov other than its high volume.

I typically think of stregnth progress coming from three things:
1. Max weight (Thursday)
2. Max reps (Tuesday / Wednesday)
3. Max speed on reps (Monday)

This program accomplishes all of those while giving you a lot of time under the bar. Recovery may be tough as you progress more weeks into it though.

We'll see how it goes. Trying new things is one of my favorite parts of lifting.
Seems like it's all covered. I do like trying different things too. Luckily everything I have been doing has been working decently. I do hate you on Wednesday and Thursday for this program though lol. I almost b1tched out last night because my garage was 10 degrees (out of kerosene) and I just didn't feel like squatting lol. So glad I manned up though.

Quote:
I think you could try the same program with front squats but I would lower the reps to 30 every day since breathing is usually more of an issue with front squats vs back squats. 10 reps minimum rep set on Wed and 5 on Thursday
Very true. I noticed I was having a hard time getting big breaths the heavier I got since the weight just sits at the top.

Last edited by DylloS; 01-24-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #1590
M3Inline6

Quote:
That's a sh1t load. I have no idea what I can do but I always do standing. Is that what you do?
Military Press is seated. I'll video tape and post it for you guys.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-24-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #1591
DylloS

Quote:
Military Press is seated. I'll video tape and post it for you guys.
yea I'd like that. videos are fun! lol
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #1592
M3Inline6

Quote:
yea I'd like that. videos are fun! lol
Haha! I am going to videotape my 315 lb. front squat.....once I get there of course. That's at least 3 weeks out.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #1593
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Once I get my workout partner back (if ever) I will put some vids up to for a form check, I'm getting into a heavy/previously unknown weights for me, and I think form is of upmost importance right now to avoid injury and bad habits

your pullup vid was inspiring!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #1594
M3Inline6

Quote:
Once I get my workout partner back (if ever) I will put some vids up to for a form check, I'm getting into a heavy/previously unknown weights for me, and I think form is of upmost importance right now to avoid injury and bad habits

your pullup vid was inspiring!
Form is definitely most important, and it must remain your first priority over weight. My two lil gym proteges injured themselves last week. Apparently they were squatting and failed to breathe properly (..and hold!!!) to support the core during the squat movement. Now they are both taking some time off. It sucks, but injuries occur on occasion.

Thanks man! It was time for me to go on video considering how often I contribute here.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #1595
DylloS

50 90lb Back Squats done in as little sets as possible

3x10 Barbell Bench
3x10 Incline Bench
3x10 Dumbbell Flys

3x8 Clean and Press
3x10 Front shoulder Raises
3x10 Lateral Raises

3x10 Toes to bar
3x25 Mountain Climbers
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #1596
M3Inline6

Quote:
50 90lb Back Squats done in as little sets as possible

3x10 Barbell Bench
3x10 Incline Bench
3x10 Dumbbell Flys

3x8 Clean and Press
3x10 Front shoulder Raises
3x10 Lateral Raises

3x10 Toes to bar
3x25 Mountain Climbers
Where is your dip video man?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #1597
DylloS

Quote:
Where is your dip video man?
I forgot to add it in. I'll do that before I bench. I hope this burning sensation I get in my chest doesn't happen like it does sometimes when I dip. I'd be really interested to see all you bar dippers try it on the rings. It's a whole different animal. I'm hoping I get about 25 or so. My PR is 30.

Last edited by DylloS; 01-28-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #1598
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Long gym session this morning. Spent about an hour and 20 minutes just stretching and rehabbing my shoulder. (Rotator cuff was strained from throwing). Did get to throw on the romaleos and get some back squats in. I'm loving these shoes. I was able to go shoulder width, open my hips, and drive through it. Felt good to get that deep on them with my feet closer to a power stance.

Back squats:
135x10
185x10
225x10

5 rounds of:
325x5 back squats
Superset
20lb wall balls x15

Mostly shoulder stuff today though.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #1599
M3Inline6

Quote:
I forgot to add it in. I'll do that before I bench. I hope this burning sensation I get in my chest doesn't happen like it does sometimes when I dip. I'd be really interested to see all you bar dippers try it on the rings. It's a whole different animal. I'm hoping I get about 25 or so. My PR is 30.
I can do a lot of ring dips too. I play around with ring dips during gymnast open gyms (...after I work on my front/back tucks, side somersaults, etc. ).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-28-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #1600
DylloS

Quote:
I can do a lot of ring dips too. I play around with ring dips during gymnast open gyms (...after I work on my front/back tucks, side somersaults, etc. ).
you're probably very good with them based on what you always do. It's funny to see strong guys get up and struggle with a few. It gives you a whole different type of respect for gymnasts.

Last edited by DylloS; 01-28-2013 at 11:57 AM.