E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #41
brokensmile209

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
just found this Creader VI from china, look promising with a lot of positive feedback for $58 plus free shipping, going to order this babe

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheap...564060851.html
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #42
brokensmile209

I have two good news, I took my car for a 200 miles drive and my ses light isn't on anymore, it off now, I almost got my bmw scanner 1.4 today, it was fast shipping in a week , going to set up the program when I have time

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #43
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Just goto Autozone, have them read your codes, find out what the problem is and fix it, then go back and have them clear the codes. FOR FREE.
Surrept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #44
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmile209 View Post
The new law in California stated that AutoZone can't do that anymore, last time I check with AutoZone I was given a no reply....will have to check out bmw scanner 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrept View Post
Just goto Autozone, have them read your codes, find out what the problem is and fix it, then go back and have them clear the codes. FOR FREE.
OP already stated that this is not feasible.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #45
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
I have two good news, I took my car for a 200 miles drive and my ses light isn't on anymore, it off now, I almost got my bmw scanner 1.4 today, it was fast shipping in a week , going to set up the program when I have time

Great. Once you setup the scanner check the car anyway. It's a fun little program.

I think we may have a good source now to get the scanner for cheap and from US.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #46
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrept View Post
Do they have BMW specific scanners at Autozone? Because their OBDII scanners can only read a few generic codes, not the BMW specific codes. Your advice may work for other cars, but not for BMW's. They are able to clear the codes, but that does not help much. Did you not ever wonder why there are so many BMW specific scanners mentioned on these forums? You can read them FOR FREE.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #47
mikeetastic

My Ride: 325i/323Ci
im new here and i have a 99 323i with the circle thing under the hood.. i have no SES or any big problems so far (except airbag light on wc i just ignore) but i wanna buy a scanner for future use..

anyone can make a recommendation? i want it really cheap for starters like me..
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #48
Bim3Por911

My Ride: 328i & 911T
As for code readers - no one mentioned Autoenginuity. Kind of pricey at $250 for the laptop app but comprehensive and GREAT support. For an additional $230 they sell the BMW expansion kit that will read chassis codes such as airbag and ABS that the OBD II sensors can't. True BMW 1.4.0 will do it for much less money. It's probably worth the risk for the average DIYer. If you're a hard core enthusiast though, think of the AutoEnginuity system as equivalent to the price of a pair of rear tires for an M3.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #49
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
im new here and i have a 99 323i with the circle thing under the hood.. i have no SES or any big problems so far (except airbag light on wc i just ignore) but i wanna buy a scanner for future use..

anyone can make a recommendation? i want it really cheap for starters like me..
Answer is simple.
BMW scanner 1.4 with a 20-pin to OBD adapter(because you have the round plug under the hood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim3Por911 View Post
As for code readers - no one mentioned Autoenginuity. Kind of pricey at $250 for the laptop app but comprehensive and GREAT support. For an additional $230 they sell the BMW expansion kit that will read chassis codes such as airbag and ABS that the OBD II sensors can't. True BMW 1.4.0 will do it for much less money. It's probably worth the risk for the average DIYer. If you're a hard core enthusiast though, think of the AutoEnginuity system as equivalent to the price of a pair of rear tires for an M3.
It is a wonderful software I heard, but BMW scanner 1.4(at least the replica) is a good portable program for starters. There is INPA, DIS, NCSexpert that can be setup for even cheaper, but are a chore to install and very dangerous to use if you dont know what you are doing.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #50
mikeetastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Answer is simple.
BMW scanner 1.4 with a 20-pin to OBD adapter(because you have the round plug under the hood).
where to buy best.. im guessing it's 2 device right? so sorry but really have no idea.. new BMW owner for just a few months..

edit: is that my only option? do i have an option B perhaps?

TIA

Last edited by mikeetastic; 01-24-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #51
trj

Quote:
where to buy best.. im guessing it's 2 device right? so sorry but really have no idea.. new BMW owner for just a few months..

edit: is that my only option? do i have an option B perhaps?

TIA
If you are just going to use it for e46 and similar generation BMW's then BMW scanner will do everything for you. Scan, reset, check, code, everything.
OP of this post got his through amazon and in a couple of days.
You can buy 20 pin to OBD adapter over ebay or such.

As an option B, there are many other BMW specific and generic scanners mentioned in this thread.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #52
mikeetastic

Quote:
If you are just going to use it for e46 and similar generation BMW's then BMW scanner will do everything for you. Scan, reset, check, code, everything.
OP of this post got his through amazon and in a couple of days.
You can buy 20 pin to OBD adapter over ebay or such.
do i really need the round adapter? i checked under the steering wheel and i also have a port in there with a sign that says "OBD"??
Old 01-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #53
mikeetastic

Quote:
The new law in California stated that AutoZone can't do that anymore, last time I check with AutoZone I was given a no reply....
i don't have issue nor SES but went to autozone a few days ago to have my car scan just so i can see how they do it but i was told their not allowed anymore (only in CA).. i was advice buy the Az guy to go to pepboys or Amco..
Old 01-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #54
trj

Quote:
do i really need the round adapter? i checked under the steering wheel and i also have a port in there with a sign that says "OBD"??
Yes, you do.
The OBD port wont allow you to code the car.

Also, please the thread and ask the questions there for the BMW scanner 1.4

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=893444
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #55
brokensmile209

Quote:
Great. Once you setup the scanner check the car anyway. It's a fun little program.

I think we may have a good source now to get the scanner for cheap and from US.
Yeah well do that once it stop raining or wait for the weekend cuz my car is park outside and it raining

Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #56
jcoleman

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
What about this scanner package? Is this any good?

I own a 2004 BMW 330Ci (E46)... I am looking into getting this... Will this work in my BMW? Will I need to do any modifications? Or will I need to know anything special?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251177039033
jcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #57
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoleman View Post
What about this scanner package? Is this any good?

I own a 2004 BMW 330Ci (E46)... I am looking into getting this... Will this work in my BMW? Will I need to do any modifications? Or will I need to know anything special?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251177039033
That's the INPA cable. You can use that cable with more advanced tools like INPA, NCSexpert, ediabas.
If that cable comes with the softwares and guide then its a good value. Else it can be have for as low as $13 from US seller without the softwares.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #58
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
just found this Creader VI from china, look promising with a lot of positive feedback for $58 plus free shipping, going to order this babe

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheap...564060851.html
Nice find. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on the ones I found for $100+. Let us know if you receive the item.......or get scammed.
Zardoz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #59
brokensmile209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz33 View Post
Nice find. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on the ones I found for $100+. Let us know if you receive the item.......or get scammed.
I have received a email that my item have been shipped on jan 21, 2013, hope I get it soon

Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #60
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
OP already stated that this is not feasible.
Gotcha, didn't see that. Gotta stop skimming through crap =)

I will say this though, there are a lot of autozones here, and I have found that a couple of them will not clear codes stating some law BS. However most of them still do it. So you might want to try a different location...just a thought.

Edit: Guess it doesn't matter now. GL with the purchase.

Last edited by Surrept; 01-26-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Surrept is offline   Reply With Quote