E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #21
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM Distributing View Post
Yes, any aftermarket sport spring with a more aggressive spring rate than your stock springs can certainly blow your OEM dampers (dependent upon a few factors). Obviously the type of spring you're running (i.e. a mild Eibach Pro-Kit vs. H&R Race) will determine how fast, or if at all, your shocks decide to go. In addition, the mileage and condition of your stock shock, as well as how you drive, will always factor in to these things. Fact is, your stock shocks' valving just isn't equipped to handle that of an aftermarket performance spring. Are there thousands upon thousands of cars running the street today with aftermarket lowering springs mated to stock shocks? Yes, there are; tons and tons of them. Just give it some time, though; they'll eventually (with time) start to feel harsh and the ride start to get worse and worse. Obviously if you put a set of performance springs on a new car (or one with low mileage), your window of opportunity to drive on it like that is much bigger.
Best answer so far. OP, this is the definitive answer you were looking for. Also remember that a heavier wheel and tire combo will wear your shocks quicker, too.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: TOO MANY TO LIST
Send a message via AIM to MJM Distributing Send a message via Yahoo to MJM Distributing
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Best answer so far. OP, this is the definitive answer you were looking for. Also remember that a heavier wheel and tire combo will wear your shocks quicker, too.
No problem. Glad we could help.
MJM Distributing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Wow, seeing as how this thread cam back to life, I feel obliged to deliver results.

I went for an H&R cupkit, a matched spring/shock package. I recently added hotchkis sway bars on top of that, so I definitely got the handling feel I was looking for It's not a technically ideal setup but damn it feels good.

My advice to anyone asking the question I was asking a year ago in the OP is this: springs and shocks must be tuned together to manage weight transfer and body roll effectively. If you simply get lowering springs (which are usually slightly stiffer, little lower) you may perceive a benefit in handling due to the stiffer feel of the car. The truth, however, is that the car will probably be oversprung, which can cause excessive body motion and oscillation compared to the OE setup. An oversprung suspension is also less effective in controlling weight transfer- bad handling.

Ultimately, I am of the opinion that, yes, one can run "sport" springs on OE shocks if the drop is mild. One wouldn't want to- real benefits in handling are gained when the suspension components are tuned and dialed-in together. Please consider a matched spring/shock package. Or, if you just want more responsiveness and reduced body roll, go for sport sway bars! ( just remember that stiffer sway bars actually increase weight transfer to the outside wheels and reduce total grip).

#BattleBimmer #323RS

Last edited by KrasivataSabine; 01-24-2013 at 01:40 PM.
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #24
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: TOO MANY TO LIST
Send a message via AIM to MJM Distributing Send a message via Yahoo to MJM Distributing
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine View Post
Ultimately, I am of the opinion that, yes, one can run "sport" springs on OE shocks if the drop is mild.
Eibach markets their Pro-Kit Springs (maybe the most "mild" springs on the market in respect to drop and spring rate) as a spring designed to work with stock shocks. Of course, that is completely subjective, as it really depends on the condition of your shocks, thus why we don't advertise them as such. You obvious do not want to run them on a shock with 100K + miles on them and/or are worn and torn to heck.

Something else that many people do not know is that many dealers selling "OEM Sport Springs" (i.e. TRD with Toyota, NISMO with Nissan, VW Motorsport with Volkswagen, etc) are none other than an Eibach Pro-Kit repackaged in a factory box. Of course, neither the dealer or Eibach advertise that for obvious reasons, but it's the case with many, many springs out there with select "OEM Sport Springs." Yes, Eibach works with many auto makers out there.
MJM Distributing is offline   Reply With Quote