E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
pwnFTW

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Help identifying this sound (power steering?)

At idle/stand still, turning the wheel produces a vigorous shaking. The intensity of the shaking is reduced when moving or at higher rpm, indicating to me that the ps pump is still being driven by the belt and not broken. Fluid in the reservoir is full, and no visible leaks..

Last edited by pwnFTW; 11-28-2012 at 02:30 PM.
pwnFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Hard to tell but it could be your idle just dropping due to using the power steering pump. any codes or vacuum leaks?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
pwnFTW

I'm not getting any indication on my dash, ill have to borrow a code reader to check. As far as I know there's no vac leaks.. Just wanted to see if anyone knew if this was a clear indication of ps system failure..
My rpms aren't dropping when the wheel is turned either :/

Last edited by pwnFTW; 11-28-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
Thats 100% your PS pump. It's either about to go out, or you may have a bolt loose.

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Does the frequency of the shaking/vibration change with RPM?
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I don't normally hear the whining normally associated with a failing power steering pump. Maybe bad video.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I don't normally hear the whining normally associated with a failing power steering pump. Maybe bad video.
That's true...normally there's a whining sound coming from the pump when it's about to go out. The fact that it's absent here makes me think that the pump may be loose...I would go under the car and make sure it is installed correctly and that all bolts are nice and tight.

I had the same symptoms in my 325i and I'm pretty sure it was due to a bad install of the PS pump and that the actual pump was still fine.

Let us know what it turns out to be!

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
pwnFTW

All great leads thank you guys! I'll throw the car up on jacks tomorrow and check it out. Is a dirty filter/clogged filter in the reservoir a possibility?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
pwnFTW

@Sherbs ya the shaking lessens in intensity as the rpms increase
Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnFTW View Post
Was asking about frequency, not intensity...
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnFTW View Post
Can I suggest you get someone to turn the wheel while you take a look at what the drive belt is doing when this occurs? Could it be slipping? Could the tensioner be a problem?
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
pwnFTW

Well, just rebuilt the entire system and it fixed the problem. Not sure if it was the pump, or air getting into the system because of a badly cracked hose. Either, way a whole rebuild is never a bad idea if you can afford it
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
rich.coley

My Ride: 2005 325i
Gotta know, what is a "rebuild of the entire system"? I came home last night and my 05 325 began doing the very thing yours did as I was turning into the drive way. I haven't noticed any RPM change affecting the noise and shudder, just when I turn the steering wheel it shudder and makes that same horrible sound. One thing I will add, and hopefully the more initiated out there may be able to help, it was below 20 degrees all day yesterday and my car sat outside all day. I started it and it was making a weird noise, then 15 min later, I get exactly what this video is. Funny thing is, today, I went to check it after it'ss been sitting in garage all day and night, and no noise. So what gives? So, pwn, what diod you do? Everyone else, chime in?
rich.coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
pwnFTW

The "entire rebuild" consisted of a new ps fluid reservoir, a new luk-30 power steering pump, the hight pressure hose, reservoir to cooling hose, and the reservoir to pump hose.
Now I couldn't quite narrow down what component caused the failure, but I have an idea. My ps fluid was very, very dirty and this most likely clogged up the filter in the reservoir. This would keep additional fluid from being pulled into the system when the wheel is turned, creating a lot of pressure in the hoses, probably pinching them shut.
That being said, I also had a leak/crack in one of the hoses so there was probably air in my system as well.
The poor/zero circulation and air in the system undoubtedly harmed the pump.
I don't know the freezing point of ATF but if yours saw an increase in viscosity from the cold, could have the same effect as a plugged filter? Maybe?

Honestly, if I could have nailed down the problem precisely, I would have just replaced the one bad component. But I opted for the shotgun approach lol