E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

View Poll Results: Safe crank HP
400 HP 2 13.33%
425 HP 6 40.00%
450 HP 3 20.00%
500 HP 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 254
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Max and/or safe HP for m54

I'm currently at what I think is safe power for the m54b25 at ~400 crank HP, and it seams erratic on the data I'm finding on what these motors can take, and what the safe area is for DD.
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success
bimmerguy055 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
serdar255
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,186
My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Sorry, I have no info, but can I have some details on your set up? If you want you can PM me, I want to do a custom turbo next year
thanks

Bump for you anyway
__________________

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Think0rz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yonkers, NY
Posts: 234
My Ride: 05 AW M3
I dont believe anyone can give you X amount of HP as a FACTUAL answer and back their claims with documented proof. The true answer honestly is "its all the in the tune" & If you have a healthy platform to build upon, having a realistic HP number in mind a tuner will be able to shine real light on your question. GL with your quest
__________________
Think0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 254
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
Sorry, I have no info, but can I have some details on your set up? If you want you can PM me, I want to do a custom turbo next year
thanks

Bump for you anyway
check out my mods in my garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think0rz View Post
I dont believe anyone can give you X amount of HP as a FACTUAL answer and back their claims with documented proof. The true answer honestly is "its all the in the tune" & If you have a healthy platform to build upon, having a realistic HP number in mind a tuner will be able to shine real light on your question. GL with your quest
Its not about a pin-pointed "X amount" but rather gathering everyones data then making a average. A good tune can ONLY go so far, it doesn't make you bullet proof to a weak part I.E connecting rods. My tune is 95% spot on, just having ICV issues.

BTW all I have done internally was a slightly thicker HG and raceware head-studs, everything else STOCK!
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success
bimmerguy055 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,326
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Well I'm shooting for 500ish with the same as you plus CP pistons.
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
daemonicus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 121
My Ride: batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
check out my mods in my garage



Its not about a pin-pointed "X amount" but rather gathering everyones data then making a average. A good tune can ONLY go so far, it doesn't make you bullet proof to a weak part I.E connecting rods. My tune is 95% spot on, just having ICV issues.

BTW all I have done internally was a slightly thicker HG and raceware head-studs, everything else STOCK!
what tune are you running?
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 254
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonicus View Post
what tune are you running?
custom tune, (based on the 330 calibration) out of the Pro EFI EMS
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success
bimmerguy055 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 254
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5rider View Post
Well I'm shooting for 500ish with the same as you plus CP pistons.
Just CP pistons? where you getting them? VAC?
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success
bimmerguy055 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,990
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
You probably hold the record for a 2.5L M54....But the 3.0L record currently sits at 570rwhp.

Keeping the head gasket happy seems to be a problem for 280rwhp N/A race engines up to the 570rwhp turbo setup.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 254
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
You probably hold the record for a 2.5L M54....But the 3.0L record currently sits at 570rwhp.

Keeping the head gasket happy seems to be a problem for 280rwhp N/A race engines up to the 570rwhp turbo setup.
Theres got to be someone out their with a higher 2.5L number. Whats the details on the 570whp 3L? Once I have a spare motor on the side i'll push mine for more
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success
bimmerguy055 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Edgar3498
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 132
My Ride: 330CI
Your gping to blow up haha
Hey send me a txt I lost all my contacts
Are you going to the meeg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Edgar3498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
BMW_Knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,963
My Ride: STG2 ZHP,E70 X5(DD)
Send a message via ICQ to BMW_Knight Send a message via AIM to BMW_Knight
I am AA Stage 2 335.1 at 6000 RPMs I am going to do Meth injection and eventually FI Cams.

So if you calculate normal drive train loss I am around 385 at the crank. So I hope after Meth and cams I can do a pull to 6800-7000 for a more accurate number.
__________________

Thanks to: www.getbmwparts.com www.aatuning.com www.toyotires.com
Eurowerkz Mid-Atlantic Regional Director
Join the Eurowerkz Facebook Fan Site : Click Here
Need your car coded with Euro Options? (Remote Windows up, Corner delete, DRL off, etc.) PM Me
BMW_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 254
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Knight View Post
I am AA Stage 2 335.1 at 6000 RPMs I am going to do Meth injection and eventually FI Cams.

So if you calculate normal drive train loss I am around 385 at the crank. So I hope after Meth and cams I can do a pull to 6800-7000 for a more accurate number.
not bad. Whats your timing table like? must be very conservative? I'm only running 13-14 up top, so I have a gap to play with to be safe (plus if I get crappy gas, I wont have to worry)

I wouldn't worry about meth, if you have a decent tune, something in your engine, or clutch/auto trans will give before you'd need meth. (assuming your running a good sized FMIC)

Also our intake mani's are horrible for meth (meth puddles behind the throttle body, and can give AFR errors), unless you install a nozzle for each runner.
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 01-25-2013 at 01:19 PM.
bimmerguy055 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,990
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
Theres got to be someone out their with a higher 2.5L number. Whats the details on the 570whp 3L? Once I have a spare motor on the side i'll push mine for more
M54B30 with CP low compression pistons and eagle rods. Head is mildly ported, with some up-rated cams. 6262 turbo tuned with Vipec V88 ECU. I'm pretty sure they are running E85...as they made 500rwhp with a stock bottom end on a pretty similar setup.

Again, I think you have the record for an M54. Sure there are a few M50s making decent power with a 2.5...but very few people take on the M54 because of the VANOS. (And the DME is virtually un-tunable for the average person)

Do you have a runfile from your dyno? I would be very interested in a .drf file from a dynojet....kind of building a library of M54 stuff.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 254
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
M54B30 with CP low compression pistons and eagle rods. Head is mildly ported, with some up-rated cams. 6262 turbo tuned with Vipec V88 ECU. I'm pretty sure they are running E85...as they made 500rwhp with a stock bottom end on a pretty similar setup.

Again, I think you have the record for an M54. Sure there are a few M50s making decent power with a 2.5...but very few people take on the M54 because of the VANOS. (And the DME is virtually un-tunable for the average person)

Do you have a runfile from your dyno? I would be very interested in a .drf file from a dynojet....kind of building a library of M54 stuff.
Is there a build thread of this? I think I know the guy your talking about. Did he run a china GT35R for a while? In Sweden?

Well you probably know there is software out that can tune the stock DME. But I went the Pro EFI route. All I have is a video clip that shows the screen of the dyno run below.

__________________
Without Failure There is No Success
bimmerguy055 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,990
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
Is there a build thread of this? I think I know the guy your talking about. Did he run a china GT35R for a while? In Sweden?
Different guy...no current build thread on what's in the car. If you search for Jimmy Oberg here you'll find what he was up to a couple of years ago.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use