E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Women now on the front lines of battle

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/...jobs-for-women

Who thinks this is a good idea?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Put them out there at their time of the month on the front lines and we should have no issues.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Be careful what you wish for

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
I don't get the "why" of this discussion. Are there really women who feel that they can ONLY contribute by being on the front line?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
I didn't read the article but if women are fighting for equality in other fields why not in the front line. They get paid the same, and the gun in their hands shoot the same bullets. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Distraction issue to make us forget that unemployment is exactly the same as when Obama took office, record number of people out of workforce, record number of people in food stamps, debt at record levels, recovery that isn't.

As long as they don't change the standards, let women do it. If they lower the standards to let women participate, they are putting lives at danger.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
I don't get the "why" of this discussion. Are there really women who feel that they can ONLY contribute by being on the front line?
You know as well as I do that isn't the case. It is all about equality.

If the front line requirements are something that a woman can achieve, then great, let them fight there. If they can't, too bad. I suspect many women will not be able to meet the requirements and it is just for the sake of not "oppressing" women because of their gender.

I suspect they would be most effective in the mess halls, cooking male soldiers a hot meal.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Technically they're already there and many of them have experienced combat. What this will do is allow women to serve with an infantry MOS. Frankly, I'm torn on the issue. Part of my wants to say "if they want it and are able, let them do it". But there could easily be deleterious effects to unit cohesion and combat readiness that we aren't prepared for. I'd like to see a pilot program conducted and analyzed before we go ahead with a full directive for every service. But I think this is change in policy is due more to political pressure rather than those in the military clamoring for women infantry.

Interestingly enough, a half year before Panetta's directive, a female Marine captain wrote about why the Marines shouldn't integrate women with men in combat roles.

http://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/a...-created-equal

Last edited by rapier7; 01-24-2013 at 04:22 PM.
rapier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
For one thing, in the current military, to be competitive amongst peers for promotions, achieve high rank, or make a career out of military service, being in a combat position, having combat experience, or ground combat arms MOS is a must. At least in the Marines it is. With the exception of the current Commandant of the Corps (who's an aviator), most have been infantry officers.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-24-2013 at 04:42 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
For one thing, in the current military, to be competitive amongst peers for promotions, achieve high rank, or make a career out of military service, being in a combat position, having combat experience, or ground combat MOS is a must.
lol. Tell 03xx Marines this and you will get laughed at.

You want to rank up, don't go to combat.

Last edited by B_Cyrus; 01-24-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: 03, not 13!
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
With equal rights come equal responsibilities and burdens.

Why shouldn't women be expected to shoulder the burdens of combat any more or less than men? Are the lives of our sons and brothers any less or any more dear than the lives of our daughters and sisters?

Many/most of the same arguments regarding unit cohesion and combat readiness were also made regarding integrating blacks fully into the military. Were there issues in that transition? Yes, but the answer wasn't to re-segregate the military. Should this occur in a deliberate, careful yet forward-moving fashion? Of course. Should women in combat roles meet the same objective standards and criteria as men? Absolutely. The biggest problem with that seems not to be the women, but rather, the men (see high rates of sexual abuse and assault against their fellow women soldiers in arms). If there are problems, I would focus on the men.

As mentioned though, in reality and in today's "wars," women have effectively if quietly already been in combat roles for many years now. A telling quote from an NPR story:
"And Lt. Col. Juanita Chang told Blake that since he was interviewing her about women in combat, 'please make sure you focus in on my combat action badge, which is right here.'"

Last edited by Rhumb; 01-24-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Rhumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
lol. Tell 13xx Marines this and you will get laughed at.

You want to rank up, don't go to combat.
...and the majority of flag officers in the Marines are coming from a combat arms background...
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
B_Cyrus
Banned User

Quote:
...and the majority of flag officers in the Marines are coming from a combat arms background...
Rats, I said 13xx, meant to say 03xx. Darn numbers
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
MDydinanM

Quote:
Rats, I said 13xx, meant to say 03xx. Darn numbers
lol, what 03XX types were you talking to? Can't speak for the Army, but most Division, MEF, Marine COCOM commanders were 03XX Officers when starting out. ISAF Commander, Gen Allen, was an Infantry type too.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-24-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
This will destroy the military just like allowing gays into the military did.

Oh, wait.......

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
B_Cyrus
Banned User

Quote:
lol, what 03XX types were you talking to?
A few of my buds are dark horse and blue diamond and they are all 03xx. Most I know are really in sh!t spot at e3 and seemingly make it impossible for rank advancement while pogs make nco who have seen less time/experience.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
MDydinanM

Quote:
A few of my buds are dark horse and blue diamond and they are all 03xx. Most I know are really in sh!t spot at e3 and seemingly make it impossible for rank advancement while pogs make nco who have seen less time/experience.
Darkhorse - good unit.

Ah, there's the issue.

In the infantry, it's not a small MOS. So basically because there are a lot of 03XX types, there are more Marines to compete with, hence a lower promotion rate. Now other MOSs, such as Communication Marines, have a smaller group of peers, and because it's a small MOS (compared to the 03XX types), they promote faster. Sometimes, as with my case, I had a young NCO Cpl that got promoted to Sgt, and he was obviously a bit immature.

So I guess I should be fair, and make the caveat that, depending on your MOS, it varies too. However, what transcends all MOSs is the combat experience.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-24-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Now we can start making young women sign up for the draft like their male counterparts. We're getting close to equality by the day.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Now we can start making young women sign up for the draft like their male counterparts. We're getting close to equality by the day.
you mean Selective Service registration?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
you mean Selective Service registration?
It's all the same. Yes.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote