E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
glacket

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Hub centric ring size for non-hubcentric rim

I was told by indy technician that i have non hub centric rims, even though they are oem BMW rims, but not the ones that came with the car from the factory. Any way upon further investigation i see that i can buy a hub centric "ring" to fix this. My tires are 225/45r17. There are no markings on the rim other than the bmw symbol. How do i determine what size rings i need for the rims? And would the rings give the support needed or will i have to buy all new rims that actually fit? thanks.
glacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
I'm pretty sure the magic numbers you are looking for are 72.56 to 74.1. I'm guessing you may have e39 bmw rims which you are trying to use on your e46. Posting a pic of the rims would help. They make the rings for a reason. I've never used them, but yes they will provide the support you need. Just make sure you buy the metal ones. They make plastic ones, but they are way too close in price to not justify simply upgrading to metal. If this is your case you can see how many options you have: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Last edited by Teddy7; 01-24-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
glacket

I bought this car recently through private sale and this is how the previous owner had it setup. i only learned about this through the indy tech who did a post sale checkup. I then googled to find out why its bad to have non hub centric rims with no ring and that a Ring can fix it. What are the numbers 72.56 to 74.1 referring to? I can get a picture of them if that will help. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacket View Post
What are the numbers 72.56 to 74.1 referring to?
Those are the diameters of the center bore, in mm. So, you can use an adapter to make the larger diameter wheel bore (74.1mm) fit on a smaller diameter (72.56) hub.

I have not seen wheels with markings for the center bore.

Most aftermarket wheels have large center bores and require rings to allow them to fit properly. The wheels will be fine with the adapters. And, yes, for the small difference in price, I'd buy the metal ones.

Tip: Before you install, thoroughly clean both the hub and the wheel.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
I have e39 wheels on my m3 with the 74.1x72.5 plastic rings. They work excellent. My original AC Schnitzer wheels are provided with plasic rings as well. Either plastic or metal is fine. Also putting those rings in will center them properly on the hub and clear up a lot of vibration you likely have. +1 on using a wire wheel or scotch brite to clean the surfaces. I also added a little white lithium grease as well.
sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
And you may need a set of vernier calipers to measure the bore of the wheel if you don't know what they came off of.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
If the wheels are not hub centric to your E46 and they are genuine BMW wheels they are going to a 74.1mm hub bore. I would confirm this using a caliper to measure the wheels bore as there are replicas of many factory wheels, and the reps can come in a variety of hub bores. After measuring the hubs of your wheels if you find them to be 74.1mm bores than the rings found HERE will make them hub centric to your 330.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
glacket

I included a picture of the rims. I am not sure if they are replica's, oem or from a different model bmw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130114_173742-1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	487560  
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacket View Post
I am not sure if they are replica's, oem or from a different model bmw.
Pull a wheel and inspect the back side. It will show the width, diameter, and offset. You may have to look a bit harder to find the country of origin, manufacturer, and date of manufacture. If it is a OEM BMW wheel, it will have "BMW" somewhere and a part number.

IIRC, modern BMW wheels come in just 2 bore sizes. So, if it is an OEM wheel from another series, then it is the larger 74.1 size mentioned previously.

If it is an aftermarket wheel that the BMW center cap just happened to fit, calipers will be needed to determine the bore size. (Clean the bore before measuring.)
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
glacket

thanks for all the info. Ill inspect the rims more closely.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
I'll trade ya wheels bro...
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote