E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
does one always need a reason?

I sit here reading my comics, learning about ethics, monism, and neoplatonism.. I think to myself, why? What makes the reason of one more reasonable and exotic than the other, and why do we even ask that question?

Art, novels, and most laughed at "liberal art" subjects in the world, do nothing but contribute to the mind and imagination, and sometimes consequentially narcissism.

We have some intelligent people on this forum, so I ask the question: does one always need a reason? Can one create for the sake of creating without being chastised? Also think of the reasons why people ask this question, are they curious or just daft wobbo's?

Last edited by B_Cyrus; 01-24-2013 at 03:01 AM.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Pure creativity with no functional purpose will always be questioned and frowned upon by most people, likely out of our culture's massive insecurity and generally low self esteem. If you don't understand it, then it could be threatening, either on a social, psychological, or practical level, couple that with a high likelihood of insecurity and you end up with a culture that has a bias against the new and different.

This article addresses how social networking has affected common interacts and experiences through "FOMO".
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/bu...ing.html?_r=1&
Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
It's funny because so much modern abstract art is actually more about reason and expression of underlying emotion or sentiment but to me something like a Pollock is so much more about spontaneous creativity for its own sake than say the Mona Lisa. I don't for one believe that we have to have a reason to create, but ultimately even just the fulfillment of the desire to do so is in itself a reason. Everything we do has some reason even if unconscious. Purpose is not a static concept that can be completely ruled out of any stage of organic life even if just because we are aging for the purpose of... Evolution. Everything we do, even dreaming, has reason though subconcious. I think that even when we try to assert the malleable concept of id in interpreting our personal system of rationalization and reason we admit that we have rationale for everything we do even when unknowing it. Of course, conscious reason is far more assertive than subconcious, but the whole nature of reason is so intrinsically engrained into the physiological self, I do not think you can ever say reason is completely abandoned, even in sacrificing your life for some purpose. Hell, through decomposition and withdrawal from one food chain and arrival in another even in death we serve a reason like it or not. Now do I always feel compelled to deliver some explicit message through creation of art or writing, no, but in that sense even leaving it open to interpretation has a deliberate and calculated methodology. As long as we have life and even in death we serve a purpose and have reason.

Mine is to penetrate as many women as humanly possible and stay high, lol. With reproduction out of the way my true essential reason has already been realized.

I think smoking pot is the reason you launched this discussion.

Last edited by hizhinezz; 01-24-2013 at 02:59 AM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Reason and purpose are human-made subjects. There is no reason why matter, universe, or us exist. We're just here. One of the fundamental laws of physics that asymmetric void creates symmetric matter. Then you can relate the science of what I mentioned above to what Nietzsche said about mind vs body. Why we tend to find ourselves asking why questions.

In short, no.

Last edited by z00; 01-24-2013 at 10:58 AM.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
We have some intelligent people on this forum, so I ask the question: does one always need a reason? Can one create for the sake of creating without being chastised? Also think of the reasons why people ask this question, are they curious or just daft wobbo's?
This is what separates us from the lower intelligence of animals. I think this is an emergent characteristic of any significantly advanced intelligence. Our species as a whole is creative, but to further the point just look at the most intelligent examples of the species; they have all been aggressively creative. More often than not you find that the great minds were both technically as well as artistically gifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Reason and purpose are human-made subjects. There is no reason why matter, universe, or us exist. We're just here. One of the fundamental laws of physics that asymmetric void creates symmetric matter. Then you can relate the science of what I mentioned above to what Nietzsche said about mind vs body. Why we tend to find ourselves asking why questions.

In short, no.
Can you expound on that?

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 01-24-2013 at 11:10 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum

WTF are you nerds talking about?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Tell us more.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
This is what separates us from the lower intelligence of animals. I think this is an emergent characteristic of any significantly advanced intelligence. Our species as a whole is creative, but to further the point just look at the most intelligent examples of the species; they have all been aggressively creative. More often than not you find that the great minds were both technically as well as artistically gifted.

Can you expound on that?
I completely disagree with this concept and think it grossly overstates the intelligence of humans and innate differences from other animals, but mammals in particular. Just as a semi-conscious and thoroughly retarded cow walks out of its barn each day to eat, ****, repeat then sleep we too go about our process of fitting into our environment and consuming whatever is in our path. Cows have the same free will they just lack cognitive ability. Sure we can discover America, but that was a mathematical certainty that eventually someone would given growing population, not some divine realization of creativity. We can invent a rocket and go to the moon, same story. How do we know that the most intelligent members of the human race went on to great things in terms of creativity, perhaps the smartest played dumb a stayed home and did nothing, saving themselves from the work itself and being forced to explain their reasoning! The concept of reason is merely our self created rationale for the decision we make in living out our lifespan. Some choose to create, others do not... they each have their own reasons, personal and environment driven. Everythin we do we do because we have to or want to do it versus holding our breath and dying or not eating and starving to death. Reason is our will to live. Our internal compass; we can pretend t detach ourselves from it and say we drift in nature's waves but even that is a conscious decision.... without reason we do not do anything.

Last edited by hizhinezz; 01-24-2013 at 02:22 PM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
BartenderPlease

My Ride: 328i Sport
Send a message via AIM to BartenderPlease
^^ agree

We have reason behind everything as humans are naturally greedy, little or a lot. We will benefit from our creations in some way.

Awaiting install: hot Cat Cams spec regrind, headers, Alpha-N tune
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R | Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartenderPlease View Post
^^ agree

We have reason behind everything as humans are naturally greedy, little or a lot. We will benefit from our creations in some way.
I don't always see it as reasons from greed. When I read "greed," the thought which comes to mind is that of a constipation of the soul. Greed steals expression. Greed makes you unable to communicate honestly, disseminate ideas, vent the natural chaos of emotion - and ones with that eminent greed and need for reason live their lives endlessly throwing a tantrum because they truly cannot articulate what they want.

Reason, validation... it leaves an empty, useless, lucky person... lucky because all that person has is a life without self purpose.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
determinism
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
You said constipation and you're B_Cyrus, so I'm just going to sit out of this one.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Yes, always. I only do things for the money.