E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.73 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #361
karitammi

My Ride: 325 (E46) Cabrio
I believe the procedures are already pretty well known, but good how -tos are missing. I learned checksums are coming to Tunerpro which helps having one inexpensive amateur software.
karitammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #362
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
good how-tos are out there, you just have to be patient and keep on searching.

what you will NOT find is a how-to that shows you where you have to click and what numbers you should write. thats the know-how of people earning money.

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #363
karitammi

^OK, you are right. There are how-tos. Somehow I still feel there are many variations. E.g: Many tuners prefer to go via OBD. Then, if you chooce to solder and direct EEPROM programming, like you, the directions are quite different. Also, many tools exist. Beginners, like me, get easily confused. Personally, I've decided to to play with the ECU in the car, but have the second ECU and play with in on my garage's table. Then, there is more room for trial and error.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #364
daniel_f.

with the effort from hakentt and tunerpro the most interesting maps are found. you just have to transfer their positions to your softwareversion and change the values.
with a bench setup and good hardware, you can easily see what each change does, so for using it

Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #365
ime46

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
DME help

Hello guys.
Total Noob here. I am here with a much more pressing question regarding a non existent DIY for simply being able to use a "used" MS43 DME to match my EWS's rolling code. This way i can drive my car without spending an arm and a leg.

my questions are the following.

1) how can i backup (dump) my in-car DME so i have the rolling codes for my in-car DME. I don't mind it if it take place on bench or though ODBII cable

2) swap the EEPROM (which one) from my Old DME to ebay "Used" DME so it matches my EWS rolling codes and i can drive the car. (is this possible?)

3) use an in-circuit EEPROM programmer to replace the "Used" DME .bin file with my old DME's .bin file. So the rolling codes match and I can drive my car. (is this possible)

4) How can you bring a used DME to "Virgin state" so you can just active and program it through DIS.

I am not a very rich e46 owner and just trying to stay an informed one.

at least one more person in the thread had the DME and EWS error. So it just might help him too.

I can do the DME/ EWS sync using DIS as long i have the codes correct in both system..

please help out.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I posted here because everyone seemed to be the most informed here about DME or an e46.

Thanks !

Last edited by ime46; 01-23-2013 at 09:21 PM.
ime46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #366
daniel_f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime46 View Post

my questions are the following.

1) how can i backup (dump) my in-car DME so i have the rolling codes for my in-car DME. I don't mind it if it take place on bench or though ODBII cable
Not possible

Quote:
2) swap the EEPROM (which one) from my Old DME to ebay "Used" DME so it matches my EWS rolling codes and i can drive the car. (is this possible?)
possible, but unsoldering and resoldering the AM29F400 is pretty hard stuff.

Quote:
3) use an in-circuit EEPROM programmer to replace the "Used" DME .bin file with my old DME's .bin file. So the rolling codes match and I can drive my car. (is this possible)
not possible

Quote:
4) How can you bring a used DME to "Virgin state" so you can just active and program it through DIS.

I am not a very rich e46 owner
but you have to be in this case. the needed software is ~5000$ and you will search several years for keys and cracks, if they exist at all.

do yourself a favor and search for an unused dme, they are out there and most of the time pretty cheap, much cheaper then virginizing a used one.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #367
karitammi

^There are some hacks to disable EWS. You can find these in ebay. Does anyone have experience?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #368
ime46

Thank you very much for that fantastic and absolutely coherent reply. I better go looking for one of those new ones off the shelf. I figured it wasn't going to be that easy.

Thanks again. z

I am not sure if you can disable EWS 3 and later. Mine is a e46 and i am not sure if disabling them is an option.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #369
karitammi

Quote:
I am not sure if you can disable EWS 3 and later. Mine is a e46 and i am not sure if disabling them is an option.
There are few chip available like this http://www.ecutool.com/BMW-EWS2-EWS3-IMMO_4208.html. Do they work?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #370
ime46

Quote:
Originally Posted by karitammi View Post
There are few chip available like this http://www.ecutool.com/BMW-EWS2-EWS3-IMMO_4208.html. Do they work?

Cannot thank you enough! . solves one of my problem.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #371
daniel_f.

Quote:
Cannot thank you enough! . solves one of my problem.
really?

They may work at EWS2 and EWS3, as stated, but unfortunally E46 is using EWS4.x

actually there is NO possibility tu turn ews off at MS43/45

Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #372
karitammi

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
They may work at EWS2 and EWS3, as stated, but unfortunally E46 is using EWS4.x
It would be better to check this. BMW parts gives EWS4, but I'd really go and read it from the EWS unit itself in your car. EWS-delete-chip sellers claim it to work with EWS3 and MS43 ECU. Would it be so that older MS43 ECUs are with EWS3? I unfortunately don't have figure of mine, but here is one axample from ebay (http://www.ebay.de/itm/Steuergerat-B...item2326a6cf80)

Last edited by karitammi; 01-25-2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: MS43 ECU
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #373
daniel_f.

to be honest, i wouldnīt trust an ebay seller. and specially i wouldnīt trust him when he states more then once, that he canīt test the hardware.

MS43 is always EWS4.x and canīt be deleted. if you find some emulator whos able to unlock EWS4.x iīm willing to buy it. but unfortunally there are many people wanting such an emulator and they are waiting long time

Old 01-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #374
ime46

Well, there isn't an easy solution for this now. So I will be replacing DME and EWS with the real stuff. Programming it myself should save me a few bucks. I am glad though that i am learning all of these stuff. It pays to have a 2nd car. Kinda wish i had my awd bimmer in the crappy weather we are having today , ohh well. Thanks guys
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #375
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle

Last edited by TrickTizzle; 01-25-2013 at 08:24 PM.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #376
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Engine won't start if EWS is removed/disabled. Injectors will be turned off.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #377
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
TrickTizzle, I like your OE bumper

Glad this thread is alive again. Only now can I realize how much of a n00b I am.
EU2 DIY? Pfft.. that's childs play. I know nothing.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #378
karitammi

Quote:
MS43 is always EWS4.x and canīt be deleted. if you find some emulator whos able to unlock EWS4.x iīm willing to buy it. but unfortunally there are many people wanting such an emulator and they are waiting long time
I checked mine, it's EWS3. The car is E46 with M54 and MS43, MY 2001. You can see yours by removing small glove box below light switch. It has two screws on top.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #379
daniel_f.

(edit)

E46 IS using EWS3, thats correct. but sadly its using EWS3.3 instead of 3.2 and i havenīt found emulators for that kind of ews.

Last edited by daniel_f.; 01-26-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #380
karitammi

Quote:
iīm ordering a spare ews unit and such an emulator
Good luck! Please, report us how it goes. I've a similar plan. :-).

For the other thing: I'm feeling I should start from very beginning. Even there are ready made .xdfs around, I'm not feeling very confident due to missing documentation and non-existent physical units.

IMO, these things have only partly been done, but I really haven't seen consistent documentation I'm striving for RE85 ethanol fuel. I believe I should have an access to acceleration enrichment, cold start, etc.

If you have a good for reverse engineering quide, I'd appreciated it. Please.

Before anybody gets angry: I'm NOT saying somebody should have done these for me and free. I'm just saying that open community seems to in the beginning. Commercial communitiy is far further.

Tags
custom tuning, dme tuning, flashing, kwp2000