E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
orionstrident

My Ride: e46 325i
Ac compressor crapped out time to remove it

So my ac compressor crapped out more so the bearing on the clutch. it still works but the noise drives me nuts so i am gonna save some weight and remove it. THIS IS NOT A DAILY DRIVER i have a 2012 impreza to do that so why not save some weight for track days and Auto-x instead of forking over 350 for a new one. so i am a windows guy anyway in the summer but keeping my heat would be nice in the winter for the windows. Yes i know the compressor de humidifies the air but i have been driving a few days with the belt off and im fine. so my question is what all can i remove and keep my heat ability. I am thinking have the freon professionally taken out then i will pull the condenser, compressor and the hoses? anything else?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
That probably covers it. I'd not sweat the condenser too much as the weight is probably not meaningful. Don't want to leave it there in case you sell the car?
Receiver/Dryer is another possible.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
That probably covers it. I'd not sweat the condenser too much as the weight is probably not meaningful. Don't want to leave it there in case you sell the car?
Receiver/Dryer is another possible.

Just cut the belt...but losing the ability to dehumidify in different weather conditions could get to be an issue, you know. I wouldn't remove it...I'd just leave it off, or cut belt, though I wonder whether that belt 'balances' the forces from the ACC belt at all. IDK for sure.

Of course, unless you live in a state where it's legal (you don't!), you shouldn't vent R134a. It should be recovered by a professional with expensive machine.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 01-24-2013 at 04:30 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
My kind of mod. Be careful, power steering is next.

You can pull the evaporator from under the dash too, but I wouldn't bother. It doesn't weigh enough to be worth all that work. You'll probably have to leave the condenser fan, I think it doubles as the aux fan on e46s.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
orionstrident

I dont believe the belt balances because i know of a few guys that are running without the belts. I already said i was going to have the r134a removed professionally Save the Bay haha. but resale isnt a problem that car wont be sold. i was only thinking about removing the condenser to make room for an oil cooler which may come in the near future. AN DMax the only reason i think its okay is ATI's balancers dont have the ability to retain the condenser and i know a few guys running race motors without a compressor so i dont believe the balancing will be an issue.

I guess what i was asking also is what parts are related to the heat?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
orionstrident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
My kind of mod. Be careful, power steering is next.

You can pull the evaporator from under the dash too, but I wouldn't bother. It doesn't weigh enough to be worth all that work. You'll probably have to leave the condenser fan, I think it doubles as the aux fan on e46s.
Condenser fan? i only have a pul on the end of mine. I have a manual and a electronic fan hanging on the back of my radiator. I am not digging for the evaporator just the easy accessible stuff for now. if i ever remove the dash for a cage you bet its gone!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionstrident View Post
I dont believe the belt balances because i know of a few guys that are running without the belts. I already said i was going to have the r134a removed professionally Save the Bay haha. but resale isnt a problem that car wont be sold. i was only thinking about removing the condenser to make room for an oil cooler which may come in the near future. AN DMax the only reason i think its okay is ATI's balancers dont have the ability to retain the condenser and i know a few guys running race motors without a compressor so i dont believe the balancing will be an issue.

I guess what i was asking also is what parts are related to the heat?
The heating system is entirely independent. They only meet in the heater core/evaporator box behind console. You really don't want to go in there for a few pounds, do you?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
lcoleman

Most track cars keep heat in case they need to defrost the windshield.

I run a pulley orignally designed for three belts (a/c, ps, and water pump/alternator) with only one belt, and have for a long time. I think you'll be fine.

There should be a condenser fan, according to RealOEM. Guess the aux fan is separate, lucky you. I'd pull that sucker.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
orionstrident

yeh i think ill just drop th compressor and all of the lines for now along with my sap and install the headers i have laying around and then have a custom exhaust built with cats further down the line.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
lcoleman

Cats....meh.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
orionstrident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Cats....meh.
Haha the auto cross class requires them i will be using random tchnology high flow most likely something in the 100 range

Last edited by orionstrident; 01-24-2013 at 05:48 PM.
orionstrident is offline   Reply With Quote