E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
This isn't a news source. This is directly from the Chairman of the Federal Reserve of San Fran.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #22
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
This isn't a news source. This is directly from the Chairman of the Federal Reserve of San Fran.
Which is an office of the government who controls the news. All the same.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #23
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
Which is an office of the government who controls the news. All the same.
The Fed isn't an office of the government. You can say all you want that they're in bed, but reflexively dismissing it based on that single idea, well, I would imagine you miss a lot of things, lol.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #24
GRIFFIN
NWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
The Fed isn't an office of the government. You can say all you want that they're in bed, but reflexively dismissing it based on that single idea, well, I would imagine you miss a lot of things, lol.
The Federal Reserve system was designed to be independent to limit political influence on monetary policy

Controlling the system and monetary policy in the U.S. is the responsibility of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve. Each member of the Board of Governors is selected by a President and confirmed by the Senate to serve 14 year terms. Twice a year, the Chairman of the Board of Governors must report to Congress and one of those times he presents an annual report that includes independently audited financial statements of the entire system. The Board of Governors is a 100% government agency.

The President also chooses who will be the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Board of Governors. Members of the Board of Governors are not allowed to hold any office, position, or employment in any member bank. It is the primary responsibility of the Board of Governors to set monetary policy.

In addition to monetary policy responsibilities, the Federal Reserve Board has regulatory and supervisory responsibilities over banks that are members of the System, bank holding companies, international banking facilities in the United States, Edge Act and agreement corporations, foreign activities of member banks, and the U.S. activities of foreign-owned banks. The Board also sets margin requirements, which limit the use of credit for purchasing or carrying securities.

Beneath the Board of Governors, there are 12 Federal Reserve district banks. These are setup similar to corporations, but there are differences that make them sort of a hybrid between private ownership and a federal instrumentality. National banks that are located within a Federal Reserve district are required by law to subscribe to stock in a district bank. The amount of stock each member bank is to subscribe to is set by law to a certain percentage of their paid-in capital. Where a normal corporation has to follow certain procedures to issue shares of stock, the Federal Reserve district banks can issue additional stock whenever a member bank's capital increases or a new national bank is chartered. A state bank may subscribe to the stock if the state bank meets certain requirements. The stock can be thought of as representing a bank's membership in the Federal Reserve system.

Each share of stock has a set par value and that does not change. Each member bank pays the par value for the Federal Reserve district bank stock. The stock of a Federal Reserve bank does not confer any rights of ownership in the bank. The only benefits of the stock are: 1) pays a 6% dividend; and 2) each member bank has ONE vote for the district bank's board of directors. The dividend is to recompense the bank for the loss of use of it's capital. Each member bank gets one vote for six seats on the board of directors regardless of the number of shares that it holds. The other three seats on each bank's board of directors are selected by the Board of Governors. The Chairman and Vice Chairman of these boards of directors are selected by the Board of Governors.

If a Federal Reserve bank were to be dissolved, the member banks would be paid back the amount they paid for the stock plus any unpaid dividend regardless of the value of the Federal Reserve bank. All assets and liabilities would then become the responsibility and property of the U.S. Government. This is significantly different than a private corporation. If a private corporation dissolves, excess assets are distributed to the stockholders.

The Federal Reserve system is also "non-profit". Once expenses have been paid and the set dividend has been paid to the member banks, net earnings are paid to the U.S. Treasury.

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!

Last edited by GRIFFIN; 01-24-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #25
CollinsE90

Regardless of political agenda, this was written by a Ph. D in Economics from Stanford. Not some liberal arts major quoting the aforementioned person.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
GRIFFIN
NWS

Quote:
Regardless of political agenda, this was written by a Ph. D in Economics from Stanford. Not some liberal arts major quoting the aforementioned person.
says the bartender.

I don't care if he is a phd or a fry cook from mcdonalds. Our economy is in the sh1tter and will be for some time.

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:

Last edited by GRIFFIN; 01-24-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
CollinsE90

Senior Economics Major

Your inability to spell devalued your opinion on the first page
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #28
GRIFFIN
NWS

Quote:
Senior Economics Major

Your inability to spell devalued your opinion on the first page
Spelling does not devalue my opinion. I wish you well in your life wearing blinders.

Once you experience real life give me a call sometime I will buy you a beer and we can talk.

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #29
CollinsE90

You're digressing because you don't know enough to challenge a Ph.D in Economics by challenging me. Until you can do the former, your opinion is irrelevant and belongs on Fox News.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #30
FadeToblack

My Ride: 2003 accord coupe
Send a message via Yahoo to FadeToblack
The dow will hit 16,000 this year. Real estate will be up 10% over all by the end of the year.

But I agree with Griffin, eventually we are all doomed. But the next couple years should be pretty good if you have money NOW. If you are some broke recent college grad you are screwed. But if you have 6 figures chilling to throw into something, the next few years will be pretty good.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #31
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
So, what are your feelings based on if you don't believe anything that you read from the media? What about from economists, or people within the industry?

Granted, I'm skeptical of any one, single news source but if you broaden the horizon it's possible to get a clear message.
I'm with Griff, read a lot, make your own opinions. Even someone within the industry can and will have slanted views. Case and point: The recent trillion dollar coin idea. Paul Krugman was all for it, but he's a lifetime academic and hardcore Keynesian, two things that don't hold as much water when it comes to decisions that will affect the working world. So while the media says things "nobel prize winning economists supports....", I still don't take their opinion to heart until I've done my own research.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 01-24-2013 at 06:00 PM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #32
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
I don't disagree that there are grounds for what he said, and it is well reasoned and thought out.

However, have you not seen similar reports about another recession (or at the very least sluggish growth) written by other economists in the least few months? Surely you have, being an econ major.

I don't believe or disbelieve what he said. Neither this, nor the negative reports have convinced me either way.

The Economist itself predicted as much in the "World in 2013" issue.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #33
GRIFFIN
NWS

Quote:
You're digressing because you don't know enough to challenge a Ph.D in Economics by challenging me. Until you can do the former, your opinion is irrelevant and belongs on Fox News.
no becasue politics and religion and money are all things you don't about in public. The reasoning to that is no one can agree. It is a waste of time going around in circles and no resolution will come from it since everyone has their own opinion.

I am not a PHD nor do I wish to be they don't make enough money.
I have a PHD in business relations and a Masters in economics on my payroll.

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:

Last edited by GRIFFIN; 01-24-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
CollinsE90

And what does your research show?

Edit: to Cowmoo

Last edited by CollinsE90; 01-24-2013 at 06:02 PM.
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #35
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
And what does your research show?

Edit: to Cowmoo
In regards to what? The trillion dollar coin or the article?

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #36
CollinsE90

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
I don't disagree that there are grounds for what he said, and it is well reasoned and thought out.

However, have you not seen similar reports about another recession (or at the very least sluggish growth) written by other economists in the least few months? Surely you have, being an econ major.

I don't believe or disbelieve what he said. Neither this, nor the negative reports have convinced me either way.

The Economist itself predicted as much in the "World in 2013" issue.
His predictions are predictions, as are the other ones. Looking at the numbers, we're dropping in the right places, and increasing in the right ones. That was my point in the making of the thread, there are many variables that could change it, it's Economics.

Last edited by CollinsE90; 01-24-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #37
CollinsE90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
In regards to what? The trillion dollar coin or the article?
In regards to where we're going.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #38
CollinsE90

And Cowmoo, it was written by the Chairman of the Fed Reserve of San Fran. Not really an "article."

With all sources.

Last edited by CollinsE90; 01-24-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #39
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I'm with Griff, read a lot, make your own opinions. Even someone within the industry can and will have slanted views. Case and point: The recent trillion dollar coin idea. Paul Krugman was all for it, but he's a lifetime academic and hardcore Keynesian, two things that don't hold as much water when it comes to decisions that will affect the working world. So while the media says things "nobel prize winning economists supports....", I still don't take their opinion to heart until I've done my own research.
I totally agree with getting multiple sources, trust me. With that said, my initial knee jerk reaction isn't disbelief to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
The Federal Reserve system was designed to be independent to limit political influence on monetary policy

Controlling the system and monetary policy in the U.S. is the responsibility of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve. Each member of the Board of Governors is selected by a President and confirmed by the Senate to serve 14 year terms. Twice a year, the Chairman of the Board of Governors must report to Congress and one of those times he presents an annual report that includes independently audited financial statements of the entire system. The Board of Governors is a 100% government agency.

The President also chooses who will be the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Board of Governors. Members of the Board of Governors are not allowed to hold any office, position, or employment in any member bank. It is the primary responsibility of the Board of Governors to set monetary policy.

snipped
It's still a private institution regardless of what part of the government appoints people. They are extremely closely related, but it's still a private institution.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #40
GRIFFIN
NWS

Quote:
I totally agree with getting multiple sources, trust me. With that said, my initial knee jerk reaction isn't disbelief to everything.

It's still a private institution regardless of what part of the government appoints people. They are extremely closely related, but it's still a private institution.
you say tomato, I say tomato.

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote: