E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #41
LKNGOOD

My Ride: 2007 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeekster64 View Post
2K on mods for the 335i? 300 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque not enough? Give me a road in North America where you will be allowed to unleash all of that?

Just get the 335 if you want it so bad, eff the mods, save the money for future repairs/maintenace once its out of warrany and like others have said, get a shitay Bronco or cheap Dodge to haul hogs in.
^LOL^. I was talking more about some nice 19" rims maybe CSL in Hyperblack, a CF Front Lip, CAI, ect...

Besides I think my Rolex will look better on me when I pull up to Mcdee's in my 335i then a Tundra - LOL.

* 2007 BMW 335i - 6sp/manual
LKNGOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #42
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
+1 on a beater truck.

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #43
LKNGOOD

Thanks everyone for your opinion. Yes - I have a tough decision to make. I really like the Tundra and at this time the price can't be beat ($3000 cash back + $1000 loyal customer rebate + $2000 discount from the dealer to sell more trucks) = $24 for a 2010 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4x2.

I also really want a BMW 335i. My 5 year plan was to trade in my 2003 BMW 330i in 5 years when I bought it in 2005. (I've own a lot of cars but nothing has been funner to drive then the BMW but it also had the most issues - good thing for 6yrs/100,000 mile warranty. I've own a 87 Mustang GT in 92, a 95 Geo Tracker in 95, a 1998 Eclispe Spyder GS in 98, a 2003 Honda Civic in 2003 and a 2003 BMW 330i in 2005).

I had no intention of getting a truck until I notice what a discount they are offering and being 38 years old now - I'm willing to sacrifice the Fun Car for something more reliable and practical, but as my wife stated - I know in a year or two you will want to trade in and get the 335i so why not just do it now. You know you want it!!

Wow - what a wife. So why am I still hesitating??

Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #44
Cloudbase

My Ride: M Coupe, 325xiT
Go drive the 335 and Tundra back to back... You have your answer... Or just keep your present car. Get a loaded '06 and earlier Tundra for 10-15K and get the E90 in a few years.

New Tundras FTL...

Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #45
LKNGOOD

Ok - after thinking that i'm 99% sure that I'm going to get a 07 335i with about 30-45,000 miles - I did some research on the 07 335i.

Being a BMW owner for the past 5 years - I know there will be issues with the car (More issues then a Honda or Toyota) but as long as you have warranty - you should be ok. Funny how a $40-$50K "Ultimate Driving Machine" can have so many issues.

Turns out - there's a lot of issues with the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) going bad on these 07's. A big enough issue that BMW has extended warranty for certain models to a 10 years/120,000 miles to replace these HPFP.

So being practical - why am I avoiding all the known signs and still considering getting a 07 335i. Is it because I'm thinking it won't happen to me - just like you Tundra owners that have vin #'s within the range for the VVTI issues but yet to experience it.

I love my BMW and the way it drives (Love the 330i and in crazy love with the 335i) but I need to be pratical and look at all the signs. I would hate to buy the 335i and start having issues even though I will have an extended warranty coverage until 100,000 miles.

But what then? If I get a 335i with 45K miles - I'll hit 100K miles within 3.5-4yrs. Then what - am I screwed just like I am now with my 330i. Driving with no warranty in a car that is known to have little things go wrong here and there is not too reassuring.

As stated before - I'm not really looking into a Lexus IS350 or Mercedes C350 or Acura TL. I want a BMW 335i or a Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4x2.

Man - what a dilema. Any feedback/suggestion/thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #46
texmln

My Ride: 2002 325iT
OK, I'll throw in my two cents...

I think the reasons you gave for wanting to part with your current ride are weak. If a water pump, thermostat, rear brakes, four tires and struts and shocks are all you need, buying a new car is nothing more than paying $25k for what amounts to a weekend of EASY DIY work that will cost you maybe $800 in parts, plus a visit to Discount for $1,000 of new tires. All the things you need are normal wear items and have nothing to do with the reliability of your BMW. There's absolutely nothing "wrong" with our current BMW and you are about to give it away for nothing. But, hey, if the real reason is that you're simply tired of it and want something different then just leave it at that. Otherwise, it sounds like a perfectly good car.

I bought a used 2002 325i wagon for my daughter. It only had 64k on the clock. It was a dealer trade and I could tell why the previous owner traded it in. All the washer fluid leaked out after filling it. $2.00 rubber washer fixed it. HVAC was acting up. $60 final stage resistor fixed that. Sunroof cover was off track. $100 sunroof repair kit fixed it. So, some guy took a bath on his trade-in and bought himself five years of payments on a shiny new car. And I got his BMW with "problems" that were all cured for less than $200 and a few hours of EASY work. That was two years ago and the car works fine, with many, many miles and years left in it.

Your car probably has a lot more miles in it too. If you want to make a change just because, then go for it. However, your current car sounds like its got plenty of life left in it.
texmln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 AM   #47
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmln View Post
OK, I'll throw in my two cents...

I think the reasons you gave for wanting to part with your current ride are weak. If a water pump, thermostat, rear brakes, four tires and struts and shocks are all you need, buying a new car is nothing more than paying $25k for what amounts to a weekend of EASY DIY work that will cost you maybe $800 in parts, plus a visit to Discount for $1,000 of new tires. All the things you need are normal wear items and have nothing to do with the reliability of your BMW. There's absolutely nothing "wrong" with our current BMW and you are about to give it away for nothing. But, hey, if the real reason is that you're simply tired of it and want something different then just leave it at that. Otherwise, it sounds like a perfectly good car.

I bought a used 2002 325i wagon for my daughter. It only had 64k on the clock. It was a dealer trade and I could tell why the previous owner traded it in. All the washer fluid leaked out after filling it. $2.00 rubber washer fixed it. HVAC was acting up. $60 final stage resistor fixed that. Sunroof cover was off track. $100 sunroof repair kit fixed it. So, some guy took a bath on his trade-in and bought himself five years of payments on a shiny new car. And I got his BMW with "problems" that were all cured for less than $200 and a few hours of EASY work. That was two years ago and the car works fine, with many, many miles and years left in it.

Your car probably has a lot more miles in it too. If you want to make a change just because, then go for it. However, your current car sounds like its got plenty of life left in it.
Hey - thanks for taking the time to comment. Your probably right. My 330i probably has another good 100K miles on it - if I want to put the $ into it.

There's also other issues that needs to be fix which I can do on a weekend if I want to keep the car. (Nothing major - just stuff that needs to be change for preventive maintenance).

My main concern was that from the time I own it at 52K miles to 100,000 miles, It cost $11.5K in covered warranty work from the dealer. Good thing I bought that extended warranty for $2.5K

Granted from 100,000 miles to current (134,000) - the car is running perfectly.

But my concern is why would a $40K car have this many issue when it was never abused or neglected. All the thing that needed repair should have never broken down until at least 100K. (3 window regulators, moonroof issue, thermostat leak, windshield washer pump failed (twice), Power Steering leak, front wheel bearing going out, both ignitor for the HID lights went bad, crack expansion tank, bent control arm, Transmission Soleniod went bad ($2k to repair at the dealer - they also flushed my transmission - the lifetime fluid theory was out the door), Air bag light on (Faulty Driver Side Seat Belt Tensionor), Secondary Air Pumo failure, Adjuster Unit went bad - tried the DYI sealant - didn't work - internal flap was broken, Mass Air Sensor Replaced, ect....)

See what I mean - with all those issues and I still want a BMW. That tells me I'm either really a hard core BMW guy or i'm still in denial.

I mainly want a 335i because I want something new - I'm cutting my lost early and trading the 330i while I can still get a decent trade-in amount. I've already been offered $9.5K for her.

You say $800 in parts and a weekend job. Great - when can you come over? I'll provide beer and pizza.

I'm pretty good at working on cars but I'm no mechanic. Here's what I was quoted to have it fixed by a Indy Shop:

Water Pump $450
Thermostat $150

Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter replace $700 (Yeah I know I got R@PED big time but I had to do out of town for work and needed the car asap otherwise I would have ordered the pump for $200 and the filter for $50 and in 2 hours I would have been done - once the part comes in which I couldn't wait).

Struts and Springs ?? (Probably looking at $4-500 in parts)
Rear Brakes $450
Inspection $50 (Due this month)
New Tires $1K

So for me to put in over $2k and have to worry if the automatic tranny is going to go or if anything is going to go out when I have no warranty is not worth it. Plus the longer I wait the less trade-in value I get - the dealer is not going to care that I did all this repair and selling it locally is too much time consuming for me because I'm too busy writing why I'm too buisy on these chat forum - LOL.

Wow - sorry to carry on there.

Good news though - well maybe - haven't heard back from the dealer yet but they gave me an offer on a 2010 Tundra Crewmax 4x2 but I countered offer.

Here's some of the details:

The 2007 335i that I am looking at has 14K miles and is $27K. This would mean in 2 years I would have to buy an extended warranty (About $2.5K) and will only last me another 3 1/2 years. So for spending about $30K - I will only enjoy it for about 5 - 5 1/2 years. (Assuming it's not at the dealership every 5K miles for a faulty HPFP and/or any other issues that BMW is prone to have).

I just received a quote of $27K for a 2010 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4x2 with a sh$t load of options. (SR5 package, 8 way power seats, spray-on bedliner, auto-dim/compass rear view mirror, Cold Climate Package (Not sure why I need it since I'm in TX - but it's included in the SR5 package), Door Sill enhancement, Rear Seat Organizer, 2 free service inspection including oil & filter change, ect....

If all goes well this saturday - I'm have a new addition to the family come Saturday. If not - I can see if in March they are going to still have the same incentives ($3k cash back + $1K loyal toyota customer).

FYI: So after about 10 years from now - I can trade in the Tundra and get a 2018 BMW M3

Last edited by LKNGOOD; 02-25-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #48
LKNGOOD

Well - I did it. Negotiated a deal that I could walk away from. (Bought a 2007 BMW 335i with 30K miles - fully loaded for $21K out the door.

Instead of getting a 2010 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4x2 (SR5 package, 8-way power bucket seats, Auto-Dim Rear View Mirror w/compass, Door Sill, Rear Cargo Net, Bed Sprayliner, 2 free oil change) for $21K out the door. (Asking $9k for me 2003 BMW 330i w/134,000 miles). KBB, AutoTrader, and Black Book only gave me $6,300 trade-in.

I got a 2007 BMW 335i w/6-sp Manual (Loaded - Premium Package, Sport Package, Navigation System, Comfort Access, Beige Dakota Leather, Sport Steering Wheel, iDrive, CPO - 6yrs/100,000 mile extended warranty and yrs/100,000 miles maintenance warranty (They were offering the 6yrs/100,000 miles maintenance warranty for free or 0.9% for 36 months) for the same price.

They wanted $2400.00 for the 6yrs/100K miles maintenance warranty and then went down to $2000.00

I told them I want it for free and with my 800 credit score - I got 2.9% for 60 months.

Thanks everyone for your opinion - In the end I went with my heart and got another BMW -

Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #49
Cloudbase

My Ride: M Coupe, 325xiT
Awesome!! Congrats man. You did the right thing. Now do the next right thing and show us some pics of your new ride!!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #50
czechchamp

My Ride: IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudbase View Post
Awesome!! Congrats man. You did the right thing. Now do the next right thing and show us some pics of your new ride!!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...5#post11386555

2001 330i Sport | Manual | ASA | DICE | H&R | StopTech | ZHP rack | SOLD
czechchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #51
LKNGOOD

WoW - talk about reviving an old discussion.

It's been almost 3 years since I bought my 07 335i and love driving it everyday.

Now at 83k and out of warranty - it's time to trade her in.

Guess what i'm getting?

2013 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4x2 (SR5 package, Texas Edition package, Tow package, Navigation w/Entune, Leather, Sprayed Bed-Line, Tint, etc...) $7,233.00 of msrp.

With 3 ATV's (mom, dad, daughter) the Tundra will come in handy for weekend fun atving as well as hunting trips to my 100 acres that I just bought in east TX. (truck will be parked outside and take my ATV into the woods).

I've enjoyed this forum for over 7 years and spent many many many hours reading/typing on here.

I will say my final goodbyes after I pick up my new Tundra Crewmax in a week or so.

Until then, who knows what could happen