E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #41
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
What does takes vs makes even mean?
Ask Paul Ryan. He coined the term when he was referring to the people who take advantage of the same program he took advantage of.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 01-25-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #42
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
I'm done with you. You're a miserable troll who has nothing to counter with, nothing. Sit home in your single wide and pout.

When you get your hypocritical ass handed to you, launch a personal attack or two.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #43
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
What does takes vs makes even mean?
Maybe someone should have asked Paul Ryan to clarify. The way it sounds is that takers take what makers make. Or do you see it differently?

Quote:
Others- People use SS longer than 2 years.
Is longer than 2 years automatically "lifetime", because you said lifetime.

Quote:
A lot of people are successful with a 401k and would rather take their chances on their own.
Worked out great for people who had to cash in their retirement after the markets crashed or those who invested in Enron, right?

Last edited by 'busa; 01-25-2013 at 10:30 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #44
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Jon Stewart already addressed this with Wednesday night show -

http://www.hulu.com/watch/449001

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is - SS doesn't add the deficit and would have remained solvent if we didn't borrow against its surplus. Simple changes can make the program remain solvent.

Everything else said in here is bullshit - pure and simple. Who are you to judge another person and tell them that they aren't qualified to receive public assistance (of some sort) Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water, the amount of people who abuse such programs is miniscule to how many it helps, abolishing/removing such a safety net would help no one.

So instead of hyperbole and rhetoric, how about we talk about what can really be done to realistically reform these programs and cut costs, instead of attacking the end user for taking advantage of a program that was meant to be used.

Last edited by Iceman00; 01-25-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #45
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Ryan's use of S.S. doesn't necessarily invalidate him from now being against it (in its present form at least), but it does make his argument rather tricky.

He can disavow his receipt of S.S. way-back-when as some youthful error in judgment and that he now sees the light. Trouble with this, his experience using S.S. seems to be a glowing advertisement FOR S.S. as it was and is. He used it for a limited time (2 years) to bridge a difficult period (father's death) to better himself (be able to afford to go to school) and become a productive and contributing member of society (U.S. Congressman). Ryan's a virtual poster-boy FOR what is good and useful about S.S.

Not to say such an argument can't be made, but maybe the GOP might want to find another person to carry this flag.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #46
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Maybe someone should have asked Paul Ryan to clarify. The way it sounds is that takers take what makers make. Or do you see it differently?

Is longer than 2 years automatically "lifetime", because you said lifetime.

Worked out great for people who had to cash in their retirement after the markets crashed or those who invested in Enron, right?
Makers vs takes is moot, it has nothing to do with SS. When did Ryan say SS are for takers?

Understand some people pay into SS for 30 years, die before collecting a check and have no family to collect a check. Where does that money go?

People who invested directly into Enron stock shares lost money. Those who invest into a 401k/mutual fund diversify their assets. Do you not understand investments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Ryan's use of S.S. doesn't necessarily invalidate him from now being against it (in its present form at least), but it does make his argument rather tricky.

He can disavow his receipt of S.S. way-back-when as some youthful error in judgment and that he now sees the light. Trouble with this, his experience using S.S. seems to be a glowing advertisement FOR S.S. as it was and is. He used it for a limited time (2 years) to bridge a difficult period (father's death) to better himself (be able to afford to go to school) and become a productive and contributing member of society (U.S. Congressman). Ryan's a virtual poster-boy FOR what is good and useful about S.S.

Not to say such an argument can't be made, but maybe the GOP might want to find another person to carry this flag.
Why would he not recieve the SS payments? His father paid into it?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #47
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Makers vs takes is moot, it has nothing to do with SS. When did Ryan say SS are for takers?

Understand some people pay into SS for 30 years, die before collecting a check and have no family to collect a check. Where does that money go?

People who invested directly into Enron stock shares lost money. Those who invest into a 401k/mutual fund diversify their assets. Do you not understand investments?
He implied that SS recipients can be takers when the campaign he was associated with stated that the infamous 47% are basically leeches on society as a lot of SS recipients don't pay much or anything in terms of taxes.

You argue that there are people who die before they collect with zero family.....there are also people who collect far more than what they paid in, so it works both ways and are therefore part of that 47%. For what it's worth I don't see anything wrong with him collecting money. People would be amazed at how wasteful SS can be. Take this example.....let's say a guy has been married 3 times to 3 different women. He was married to each one of them for 10 years and none of them worked outside of the home. He is now single, and they are all 3 single, as well. When he starts taking SS that he has paid into for himself over the years, each one of those women is now eligible to get a 50% benefit based off of his paid in amount. That is a far more egregiously wasteful issue compared to Eddie Munster taking payments for 2 years to put himself through school.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 01-25-2013 at 12:54 PM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #48
Green_Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
He implied that SS recipients can be takers when the campaign he was associated with stated that the infamous 47% are basically leeches on society as a lot of SS recipients don't pay much or anything in terms of taxes.

You argue that there are people who die before they collect with zero family.....there are also people who collect far more than what they paid in, so it works both ways and are therefore part of that 47%.

There should no argument for SS to work "both ways". That is the problem, people should be in control of their own money, not the government.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #49
evolved

Quote:
There should no argument for SS to work "both ways". That is the problem, people should be in control of their own money, not the government.
Yes, but let's deal in reality. I don't see SS being abolished anytime soon, do you? It can be made a lot more feasible and efficient, without a doubt.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 01-25-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #50
Green_Shine

Quote:
Yes, but let's deal in reality. I don't see SS being abolished anytime soon, do you? It can be made a lot more feasible and efficient, without a doubt.
That's the point, it can be better. My point along with Ryan's is he only received two years, which is a scam. I do not want the government in charge of my money, anyone with an understanding of how SS works should want out.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #51
evolved

Quote:
That's the point, it can be better. My point along with Ryan's is he only received two years, which is a scam. I do not want the government in charge of my money, anyone with an understanding of how SS works should want out.
Some may view it as a scam, but that can be said about anything. People invest in the stock market and when it tanks, everyone is screaming "scam!"

I've got a better than average understanding of how it works, and if I had my way I would invest it myself. However, this goes back to my original point....do you honestly see that happening at any point in the near future?

I, personally, do not. So, at this point I want to see improvements made to it. Push back the retirement age for people under 40. Block it from being raided by other areas of the government. Limit how many people can benefit off of it...my example in an earlier post is a poster child of this.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 01-25-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #52
Green_Shine

Quote:
Some may view it as a scam, but that can be said about anything. People invest in the stock market and when it tanks, everyone is screaming "scam!"

I've got a better than average understanding of how it works, and if I had my way I would invest it myself. However, this goes back to my original point....do you honestly see that happening at any point in the near future?

I, personally, do not. So, at this point I want to see improvements made to it. Push back the retirement age for people under 40. Block it from being raided by other areas of the government. Limit how many people can benefit off of it...my example in an earlier post is a poster child of this.
At least with the stock market, one can with draw and the asset has an owner.

I would love to see it go away as well, like OP in here some people cannot wrap their mind around it. Anytime someone mentions any change to it Democrats go crazy spinning it.

Limiting people on withdrawals would be nice. Which pres borrowed money from SS?

Last edited by Green_Shine; 01-25-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #53
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
can we all agree that without SS ryan's father would not have saved a dime. upon his death he would not have left anything to paul, who would not have been able to attend college and most likely paul would be a drug addict sucking dick for crack on Milwaukee's south side.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #54
evolved

Quote:
At least with the stock market, one can with draw and the asset has an owner.

I would love to see it go away as well, like OP in here some people cannot wrap their mind around it. Anytime someone mentions any change to it Democrats go crazy spinning it.

Limiting people on withdrawals would be nice. Which pres borrowed money from SS?
The POTUS doesn't have the power to borrow/spend like that. It's congress that holds the reins. Morever, I'm honestly not sure the first time it occurred, but it was a while ago if I'm remembering correctly.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #55
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post

You make it sound like mutual funds are fail safe and a sure thing. Are they?
I'd rather take my chances and be able to control at least a little bit more of the money that I spend precious time of my life working for. Lets face we all need money to live in our society whether you like it or not. I'm not sure about you but I'm independent and can figure out most things for myself while being successful.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #56
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
can we all agree that without SS ryan's father would not have saved a dime. upon his death he would not have left anything to paul, who would not have been able to attend college and most likely paul would be a drug addict sucking dick for crack on Milwaukee's south side.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #57
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
He was trying to avoid being racist but I think I can figure who he is referencing and you just laughed at it.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #58
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
He was trying to avoid being racist but I think I can figure who he is referencing and you just laughed at it.
that's what you got out of it?, now i'm laughing at you

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 01-25-2013 at 02:15 PM.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #59
Green_Shine

Quote:
The POTUS doesn't have the power to borrow/spend like that. It's congress that holds the reins. Morever, I'm honestly not sure the first time it occurred, but it was a while ago if I'm remembering correctly.
I aware, didn't feel typing it all out.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #60
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
Maybe. My bet is on that it's your dick he would be sucking.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App