E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #41
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Unless you're driving a 325, the N52 still had a DISA. 2 of them in fact.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-26-2013 at 09:26 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #42
wolfe

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Unless you're driving a 325, the N52 still had a DISA. 2 of them in fact.
128i. DISA wiring harness is present and clipped to the side of the manifold, but no valves.
wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #43
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
just found this thread.. I have a 2004 330CI with same shutter... replaced ccv, all boots and hoses, did the vanos seals, spark plugs.. issue persists.

I do have PASoft 1.4, could i use that to update the DME ??

what's the procedure if i can?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #44
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
PASoft won't do it. Read this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=898241

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #45
pawelgawel

ok... Luke like a dealer thing to me... hopefully they know what update im asking for.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #46
wildirish317

Ask for the BMW SI B 12 40 06 Engine Electrical Systems upgrade.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #47
pawelgawel

perfect. thank you!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #48
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Not trying to open a can of worms, but does everyone who is experiencing this issue have the beisan seals in their vanos? I don't remember if there are any threads about the longevity of their system. Has anyone opened up a vanos after 40-60k to check out how they hold up?

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #49
willsbma

Just reviewing some old threads I made.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...637&highlight=

Check out post 7 and the date

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #50
pawelgawel

i had this issue before i did the vanos seals... i noticed it the day i tested the car when purchasing it. only happens when i give it and its hitting the 3K range.. after that its smooth.
Originally i thought it was a vacuum leak or something else simple.. but after everything i did, update seems to be the only reason.

ill book an appointment and see what happens.

Last edited by pawelgawel; 02-21-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #51
willsbma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
i had this issue before i did the vanos seals... i noticed it the day i tested the car when purchasing it. only happens when i give it and its hitting the 3K range.. after that its smooth.
Originally i thought it was a vacuum leak or something else simple.. but after everything i did, update seems to be the only reason.

ill book an appointment and see what happens.

If you head in to the dealer, see if they can tell you the DME version maybe?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #52
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
128i. DISA wiring harness is present and clipped to the side of the manifold, but no valves.
I forgot about the x28s

Nonetheless, the DISA version of that motor makes 30 more hp and 20 lb-ft more torque, and retains a fairly linear curve
Old 02-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #53
willsbma

Any new ideas?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #54
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbma View Post
Any new ideas?
Did you get your DME flashed yet?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #55
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
Did you get your DME flashed yet?
I'm convinced that the stutter will be solved by the DME flash.

The problem is, it's low on my list of priorities. Today I replaced the driver side front axel in my daughter's 03 Passat, along with the battery, which couldn't hold a charge with the ignition on during part of the process. Our 05 Kia needs a new ac compressor. The weather is warming up, and soon it will be fishing season again. I still have a few fluid changes to perform, on all of the family cars. The stutter is a nuisance, but in the overall scheme of things, a small matter.

I'll get to it, but it will be a few weeks, or months.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #56
jonesenberg

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6spd
Just noticed this stutter for the first time yesterday. '04 330i ZHP. As far as I know, the car has original DISA. Will be taking the car into dealer for other warranty work soon. Will update if addressed/fixed, etc.
jonesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #57
pawelgawel

i made an appointment for next Monday.. the want the car for a full day :what:
Ill get a car in the mean time... probably a Hyundai. yay

Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #58
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
I'm convinced that the stutter will be solved by the DME flash.

The problem is, it's low on my list of priorities. Today I replaced the driver side front axel in my daughter's 03 Passat, along with the battery, which couldn't hold a charge with the ignition on during part of the process. Our 05 Kia needs a new ac compressor. The weather is warming up, and soon it will be fishing season again. I still have a few fluid changes to perform, on all of the family cars. The stutter is a nuisance, but in the overall scheme of things, a small matter.

I'll get to it, but it will be a few weeks, or months.
Quote:
i made an appointment for next Monday.. the want the car for a full day :what:
Ill get a car in the mean time... probably a Hyundai. yay

Any reason you guys are unwilling to do the flash yourselves? If setting up the software is the issue, get the kit from bmtechnic -- they made it pretty foolproof. With WinKFP, you can do the update in your garage in less than an hour.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #59
pawelgawel

i do have a question... after heading some comments, the possible reason for the stutter might be because the sw wasn't able to handle a used up o2 sensors as well as it should. I have new o2 sitting around just in case and im wondering if that would solve the issue as well.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #60
TerraPhantm

Quote:
i do have a question... after heading some comments, the possible reason for the stutter might be because the sw wasn't able to handle a used up o2 sensors as well as it should. I have new o2 sitting around just in case and im wondering if that would solve the issue as well.

Perhaps. But the issue will comeback. It's better to get the proper software so that you can get the full life out of your o2s

Edit: I see you're in London -- as far as I know, the software issue only affects Ms45.1 e46s, which are exclusive to the US. So you might actually need O2s or some other item.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-25-2013 at 10:55 AM.