E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #161
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramm440 View Post
are not bimmers a total POS in engineering to repair? I will never buy another go TOYOTA. I have probably done over 4000 dollars in repairs myself with the 2004 ultimate driving machine having 59000 miles. BMW kiss my US ass
If sentences are this hard for you, then yes, repairing a bmw will be quite difficult.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #162
posey1

My Ride: 2002 325i
Thumbs Up

Very nice post. It helped me out a lot. I did mine this afternoon. It took me about an hr and a half for the work, about 2 hrs for cleaning. I got it pretty clean, but not as good as you. I also went ahead and change the VANOS oil line gaskets while I was in there. Torque for those is 32 Nm (24 ft-lb). Torque 22 Nm for the M8 oil filter housing bolts. Just in case others need it. Thanks for the help, man!

BTW, I know this is an old post, but just thought I'd give props.
posey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #163
posey1

My Ride: 2002 325i
Thumbs Up

Very nice post. It helped me out a lot. I did mine this afternoon. It took me about an hr and a half for the work, about 2 hrs for cleaning. I got it pretty clean, but not as good as you. I also went ahead and change the VANOS oil line gaskets while I was in there. Torque for the VANOS banjo bolts is 32 Nm (24 ft-lb). Torque is 22 Nm for the M8 oil filter housing bolts. Just in case others need it. Thanks for the help, man!

BTW, I know this is an old post, but just thought I'd give props.
posey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #164
sacE46

CHECK THE OIL FILTER O RING FIRST!!
Had this problem recently on '00 328 with 170k - replaced the OFH gasket twice! looking thru some of the posts one big thing to watch is the oil filter O ring- even in the pic above it is not installed right- I had done 8 or 10 oil changes and did not have any leaks till the most recent one- oil was pooling under the right hand side- just like in the OFH diy pics posted. Pulled it off again put a new one on and carefully torqued to spec, put back together- oil change and filter- STILL LEAKING POOLS OF OIL!! got feed up and took to local indy shop - if your in Sacramento CA area the guys a Stewarts Auto are the best - tech took one look at my filter O ring and said 'it's on wrong' the O ring should disappear inside the filter reservoir when it seats. IF YOU CAN SEE YOUR OIL FILTER O RING IT'S ON WRONG AND WILL LEAK DOWN THE BLOCK AND LOOK LIKE A FAILED OFH GASKET. Took cap off and looked real close at the 'groove' about 1/4 inch below cap lid and right above threads- there was a old O ring embedded in the groove!! pealed it out with a small screw driver- installed a new O ring, replaced cap- O ring vanished into reservoir!! NO MORE LEAKS!!
CHECK YOUR FILTER O RING BEFORE TACKLING THE OFH GASKET!!!
sacE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #165
VG1134
Old City Bimmer

My Ride: Classifieds
Thanks for sharing your findings. When you buy the oil filter it comes with a new O ring. So when you change your engine oil, this is part of the maintanence to change that O ring. Sounds like in your vehicle, previous owner neglected to change it.
VG1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #166
sacE46

Yep, I picked it up 2nd hand and have not had a problem with previous oil changes.. wish I would have seen someone point out the 'vanishing O ring' before I did the OFH 2x
sacE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #167
manilaboy1vic

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle808 View Post
I just replaced the $6 gasket recently and decided to take a few pics. This is my first time doing the job and it was fairly easy. My car was leaking oil about 1 quart every 2500 miles.

1. drive car on ramps or put on jack stands.

2. remove bottom engine splash shield

3. remove air filter box and remove the 2 nuts holding up the power steering reservoir. Put it to the side.

4. Remove fan and fan shroud

5. remove upper radiator hose (optional step, it just help clear up some room)

6. remove the alternator belt.

7. disconnect the negative of the battery first before messing with the alternator. (added by SSM1991)

remove alternator at these locations. I think the 2 bolts are 13mm. pull the electrical connector and unscrew the red battery terminal (13mm). Also remove the lower air 3 inch duct.

8. with the alternator out, its time to remove the 6 bolts (13mm) that holding the oil filter housing to the engine. Important: Remember the locations of each bolt because they're different lengths. It will help alot when it's time to re-install the housing. Also remove the oil line at the top near the radiator hose and remove the electrical connector to the oil housing.

9. Pull the housing away from the engine. as you can see there are small collections of oil nearby. I didn't completely removed the housing, I just pull it off enough to remove the gasket.

10. picture of gasket that's harden and brittle. it's cracking in a few spots.

11. replace with new gasket and reverse all steps to finish.

12. top off coolant and some oil. Oil doesn't really leak out at all when you pull the housing off.

I dont see any mention of the Power stearing PUMP removal.. i saw a youtube how to and he removed 3 bolts, is it necessary to do remove the pump??

Stock Headlight Halogen Housings for prefacelift E46
manilaboy1vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #168
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
I'm wondering the same thing myself. The other OFHG DIY mentioned removing the power steering pump
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #169
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
some cars its not necessary to remove. I had to do it on an '04 but not on a '99. Its extra 3 min job if you do. No big deal.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #170
manilaboy1vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
some cars its not necessary to remove. I had to do it on an '04 but not on a '99. Its extra 3 min job if you do. No big deal.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
ahh. ok, i have a 2002 330ci, i guess ill see when i get the part... just did my alternator and saw some oil drops.. good thing i know process now

Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #171
Japanrot_325i

My Ride: 03 325i
Gearing up to do this in a few hours thanks for the DIY.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #172
manilaboy1vic

i am just praying my leak is not from the oil seperator. i think id just trade my car in.. doing too much work on this thing.. :\

Old 04-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #173
Japanrot_325i

Man this was so much easier than I thought only took an hour or two. Even did it without taking out the fan or shroud. Longest part was letting it cool down. But I must say getting the alternator back in is a pain.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #174
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
I just finished installing my new DISA and took a look at the "honeycomb" area and definitely there's alot of oil there so I'll probably be changing the OFHG next weekend (already picked up the gasket at BMW)

What was the hard part about getting the alternator back in?
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #175
Japanrot_325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznuts007 View Post
I just finished installing my new DISA and took a look at the "honeycomb" area and definitely there's alot of oil there so I'll probably be changing the OFHG next weekend (already picked up the gasket at BMW)

What was the hard part about getting the alternator back in?
Just getting it lined up. It's kinda of wedged in and it's a very tight fit took a little persuasion to get it lined back up. Not to terrible with two sets of hands.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #176
manilaboy1vic

I just replaced my alt.. didnt have too much trouble w/ it.. i found that the bottom bolt was tough to pull out when removing.. just took a pliers to it and wiggled free... gotta take it out again tho.. im just wondering if i need to remove the PS pump.. if i do then i need to get some rhino ramps... ill just get the ramps for this and future repairs... im excited to get my car fixed up..

OFH gasket, then window washer pump, then pillars.. those pillars are bugging me.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #177
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
My alt wasn't bad at all...the bottom bolt that has the "bushing" was about 1/2" from even being seated...it was previously replaced, at what time I don't know. I will say all my bolts were torqued back together though. I think you can drive that bushing back out a bit so that when you do put it back in, it just slides in place, then when you tighten it back down it seats again. Ofhg isn't that bad to do, just take your time and make sure you tighten everything up.....so you don't find what could have been catastrophic to mine.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #178
amnesiak

My Ride: 2001 325i
Did this today. I've already done a VANOS, CCV, and lots of other things - but this, by far has to be the most bang-for-the-buck repair ever. It really is fairly straightforward, and I spent about $5 in parts (carquest had the gasket and the two crush washers in a couple of hours for me). I feel stupid that I've been putting in a quart of oil so often ($7) when the cost of this repair was less than a quart.

My observations:
(1) If I wouldn't have cleaned anything, it would have been really quick (<1hr). I spent about 3 1/2 hours because I had a freaking mess in there.
(2) I did not remove the power steering pump. If I would have, I probably could have taken the whole OFH out and cleaned it separately. I pushed it to the side and made do, and still cleaned up everything rather well.
(3) You might as well check your serpentine belt before this repair, I should have, I would have replaced it.
(4) The pipe that connects the alternator to the fan housing pops right off. I had to pop it off after simple-greening, hosing, and scrubbing my engine as I got water in it. You might as well pop it off and shake out any debris in it.
amnesiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #179
rziak_325i

My Ride: 2003 325i sedan
Nice thank you very much i plan on doing it in a few days ,...
rziak_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #180
akhoundog

My Ride: 01 325xi wagon 5spee
Today I replaced my oil filter housing gasket, coolant tank, belts, pulleys, water pump and a bunch of other stuff.

I'd like to add a tip that helped me keep order of the six oil filter housing bolts. I took an empty box and using a knife cut and twisted six holes in it that roughly resembled the bolt order on the oil filter housing. storing the bolts in the proper order helped me later when reinstalling them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolts2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	511155   Click image for larger version

Name:	bolts.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	511156  
akhoundog is offline   Reply With Quote