E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #21
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
lol, please don't try to school me. I was on every new nightly out there (that's the very latest ROM, kernel, baseband, etc.) and on Jellybean before the official OTA push. The iphone 5 is faster, smoother, and does all the basics better than any current Android out there.

I've owned both, and unless you have too, please don't compare.

The S3 is a fine phone once you remove touchwiz and get to the Vanilla Android experience. It still is not as good as the iPhone 5 at the basics. And the iphone 5 is much faster/smoother despite whatever hardware they packed into the S3. I believe independent tests support that claim too.

All that aside, the most important thing is end-user real-world experience: iPhone 5 is just so much more of a pleasure to use.
Accurate, in before every Android user tries to dispute this.

I really, REAAAALLY tried to like my HTC phone. Just wasn't happening, the iPhone is always smooth & fast.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #22
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
The S3 is a fine phone once you remove touchwiz and get to the Vanilla Android experience. It still is not as good as the iPhone 5 at the basics. And the iphone 5 is much faster/smoother despite whatever hardware they packed into the S3. I believe independent tests support that claim too.
this is exactly right. iphones will always have a smoother experience than android simply because apple locks down the OS and controls everything. if you have one release version of android operating on as many phones as they do, performance is gonna depend on manufacturer software, phone capabilities and carrier bloatware. apple is always gonna win

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #23
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
I would go android since it has better tech specs, a far better more open operating system that allows you to tweak anything in it, and it is less hipster.

/sarcasm

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #24
DUH I4GOT

My Ride: 2002 Silver 330 Ci
Send a message via AIM to DUH I4GOT Send a message via Yahoo to DUH I4GOT
This link will show you the true capabilities of the Note 2

"You forgot that most of the people on this board are bangin' supermodels on a nightly basis, inbetween rounds of Halo 2 and bowls of Mac N cheese of course."

AVRed1

Last edited by DUH I4GOT; 01-26-2013 at 07:53 AM.
DUH I4GOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #25
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
I personally think the Note 2 is way to big to be a phone. iPhone always runs smooth, but just like everyone said, it's more basic. If you're looking into modding your phone then go Android. If you're using it to make calls, text, surf the web, go Apple.

Side note- anyone notice how when the iphone 4s came out, everyone said "it's exactly the the 4"... and when the iphone 5 came out everyone said "it's exactly like the 4s"... yet everyone who didn't get the 4s and went from 4-5, they said it was a huge upgrade?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #26
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
I personally think the Note 2 is way to big to be a phone. iPhone always runs smooth, but just like everyone said, it's more basic. If you're looking into modding your phone then go Android. If you're using it to make calls, text, surf the web, go Apple.
Agreed. I've had iPhones for the last 4 years and I'm done with them. They used to be a smart phone compared to the rest of the market and the rest appeared like feature phones. Now the iPhone seems like a feature phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
Side note- anyone notice how when the iphone 4s came out, everyone said "it's exactly the the 4"... and when the iphone 5 came out everyone said "it's exactly like the 4s"... yet everyone who didn't get the 4s and went from 4-5, they said it was a huge upgrade?
My last phone was an iPhone 4. I really wanted to like the 5. I really did. I had one sitting on my desk for a week. But nothing. I now run an HTC One X with CM10.1 on it and love it!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #27
nnacpil

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3
I've had the 3G and 4 before I decided to try android.. Essentially tried the S3 because I paid $50 on black Friday since I was due for an upgrade. I like the camera, big screen, how fast it runs. Although, I HATE the battery life and apps. The apps are definitely way better designed than the android.

With that said, my phone is currently for sale on eBay. I will be switching to the iPhone 5 as soon as I sell my S3. I still have my iPhone 4 because I had a feeling I would need it again. If someone wants a S3. Please PM me! It's for AT&T.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gala...:L:LCA:US:1123

2006 BMW lllM3 SilverGrayMetallic/Cinnamon/Apex Arc-8
llHPF/ProEFI Stage 2.25 w/6766
SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by nnacpil; 01-26-2013 at 09:04 AM.
nnacpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #28
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
i've had every model of iphone, and still use an iphone for work.

that said, i use the galaxy s3 for personal use and unless samsung fvcks up in a major way, won't ever miss the iphone. the s3 does almost everything faster, and integrates with google, gmail, etc flawlessly. battery life on the stock battery is a drawback, but if u uspgrade the battery, u'll never look back.

iphone has does possibly the best marketing job in history. iphone is trendy and "cool". it has the "it" factor. kids HAVE to HAVE the newest apple product at all times. if u use ur phone for the basics, iphone is the best out there. very simple to use.
This is always the question. What do you do with your S3 that the iPhone doesn't do? I hear this mentioned but have never got a straight answer. And the S3 is not faster than the iPhone 5. I'll let it go if you say that they're equal, but in reality the iPhone 5 is the faster (benchmarked) phone.

Now if you're using a 4S or especially a 4, that would distort your opinion. These days the 4 is painfully slow. I mean, it's bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjuice5150 View Post
I would say the note 2 is for someone who does work on the go, executive, professionals etc. I'm leaning toward the note 2 because it has the S pen. Something I need so that people can sign documents and I can just email it off right away. If the note 2 is too big, then get the s3. Same thing but smaller. Or wait 2-3 more months and get the s4. With a nice slim rubber cover. The phone looks really sleek.
You've been watching too many ads. Samsung is pushing enterprise hard put they aren't there yet. Unless I'm missing something you can also buy a capacitive pen for virtually any current touchscreen phone on the market.

Furthermore for professionals Android security is far behind that of Apple, Microsoft, and even RIM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
this is exactly right. iphones will always have a smoother experience than android simply because apple locks down the OS and controls everything. if you have one release version of android operating on as many phones as they do, performance is gonna depend on manufacturer software, phone capabilities and carrier bloatware. apple is always gonna win
IIRC somebody who was on the original development team for Android talked about how the touch interface was an add on, and how the core of the Android OS will ALWAYS have lag until they start from square one. So I don't think it's that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnacpil View Post
I've had the 3G and 4 before I decided to try android.. Essentially tried the S3 because I paid $50 on black Friday since I was due for an upgrade. I like the camera, big screen, how fast it runs. Although, I HATE the battery life and apps. The apps are definitely way better designed than the android.

With that said, my phone is currently for sale on eBay. I will be switching to the iPhone 5 as soon as I sell my S3. I still have my iPhone 4 because I had a feeling I would need it again. If someone wants a S3. Please PM me! It's for AT&T.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gala...:L:LCA:US:1123
You'll love the 5. I would've bailed on a Apple too if the only iPhone option was a 3GS or a 4. Great phones when they came out- but not so much anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Agreed. I've had iPhones for the last 4 years and I'm done with them. They used to be a smart phone compared to the rest of the market and the rest appeared like feature phones. Now the iPhone seems like a feature phone.

My last phone was an iPhone 4. I really wanted to like the 5. I really did. I had one sitting on my desk for a week. But nothing. I now run an HTC One X with CM10.1 on it and love it!
What are all these mystical features the iPhone is missing next to your One X? I also seem to recall you jumped ship long before you got rid of the 4 or bought the 5, so I'm skeptical that you "really wanted to like it." And when you say it sat on your desk- did you even use it?

Stacked up to the One X, the 4 is a garbage phone. The 5 is not.

Last edited by Grande D; 01-26-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
lol, please don't try to school me. I was on every new nightly out there (that's the very latest ROM, kernel, baseband, etc.) and on Jellybean before the official OTA push. The iphone 5 is faster, smoother, and does all the basics better than any current Android out there.

I've owned both, and unless you have too, please don't compare.

All that aside, the most important thing is end-user real-world experience: iPhone 5 is just so much more of a pleasure to use.

I do look forward to the next generation of Androids. The next major OS overhaul should be a great one, and with better hardware coming out from those makers, we have a lot to be excited about.
Wow who pissed in your cheerios? It was a simple honest question if you updated or not. Lol I bet your on blood meds aren't you?!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #30
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Go android. Apple products create fanboi's and make you wait in line to be excited about features that android has had for a few months. Also, because there are so many different phones out there, you are bound to find one that not only fits your needs in terms of size and shape, but you get to choose the operating system. You might be limited in upgrading that os, but with the amount of customization, you can trick yourself into thinking it is new and progressive...

Sent from my iPhone 4, running the latest OS, no case, no scratches and a battery that lasts days...

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #31
dauble2k5

My Ride: Facelift Coupe
Do you want something new or not? The only "new" thing about the iPhone is it has LTE. I like Apple, but am in the same boat. I'm not sure what to get when it's time to upgrade. I'm going to seriously look into the S3 -- a few colleagues have it and love it. Plus, the colors look unbelievably well on it.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #32
DaN_the_MaN

My Ride: 2011 GTR
Before I got the Note 2, I also thought the phone was too big. It actually doesn't really feel that big once you get use to it. Wear suits to work and it fits in my front pocket without bulging out. I replaced my Nexus with the Note 2 for the sole purpose of battery life(Normal use I can go 2-3 days, compared to 1/2 a day on the Nexus).
DaN_the_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #33
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauble2k5 View Post
Do you want something new or not? The only "new" thing about the iPhone is it has LTE. I like Apple, but am in the same boat. I'm not sure what to get when it's time to upgrade. I'm going to seriously look into the S3 -- a few colleagues have it and love it. Plus, the colors look unbelievably well on it.
Anndd again, if the iPhone 5 isn't "new" what is "new" about any phone? It can be argued that innovation has slowed. I find it odd that people think phones like the S3 and iPhone 5 are not in the same boat though.

If you have an old iPhone and use the 5, it is way slicker. It is much, much faster than old iPhones at everything- not just internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaN_the_MaN View Post
Before I got the Note 2, I also thought the phone was too big. It actually doesn't really feel that big once you get use to it. Wear suits to work and it fits in my front pocket without bulging out. I replaced my Nexus with the Note 2 for the sole purpose of battery life(Normal use I can go 2-3 days, compared to 1/2 a day on the Nexus).
I do buy that argument with the Lumia 920, S3, and One X+. But the Titan and Note 2? I just can't imagine not noticing it. It's like a pocket protector!

OP: I'm getting myself dragged in but for your benefit, I will say what's been said. Go to the local carrier and try the Note 2, the S3, the One X+, the iPhone 5, and maybe even the Lumia 920 if you really want to be awed by an interface.

Windows Mobile 8 smokes both iOS and Android of any sort as far as the GUI is concerned.

Last edited by Grande D; 01-26-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #34
DaN_the_MaN

My Ride: 2011 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Anndd again, if the iPhone 5 isn't "new" what is "new" about any phone? It can be argued that innovation has slowed. I find it odd that people think phones like the S3 and iPhone 5 are not in the same boat though.

If you have an old iPhone and use the 5, it is way slicker. It is much, much faster than old iPhones at everything- not just internet.

I do buy that argument with the Lumia 920, S3, and One X+. But the Titan and Note 2? I just can't imagine not noticing it. It's like a pocket protector!

OP: I'm getting myself dragged in but for your benefit, I will say what's been said. Go to the local carrier and try the Note 2, the S3, the One X+, the iPhone 5, and maybe even the Lumia 920 if you really want to be awed by an interface.

Windows Mobile 8 smokes both iOS and Android of any sort as far as the GUI is concerned.
I was going to take a look at the Lumia, but they are going to be limited in Apps for awhile compared to Android or iOs.
DaN_the_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #35
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
I own an iPhone5, but had a chance to test out a Huawei AscendMate at CES a couple of weeks ago- the one with the 6" display. Without question, it will be my next phone, even if I have to buy one unlocked on eBay, from a Chinese seller. I hate the Note II, but the Huawei is SO well built, so fast, and the screen is stunning. I cannot wait to get my hands on one.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #36
importz
Jr Mafia

My Ride: M5
If you like lag scrolling, then go for android.. LoL
importz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #37
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by importz View Post
If you like lag scrolling, then go for android.. LoL
Obviously you have not used android on jelly bean
Old 01-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #38
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
This is always the question. What do you do with your S3 that the iPhone doesn't do? I hear this mentioned but have never got a straight answer. And the S3 is not faster than the iPhone 5. I'll let it go if you say that they're equal, but in reality the iPhone 5 is the faster (benchmarked) phone.

Now if you're using a 4S or especially a 4, that would distort your opinion. These days the 4 is painfully slow. I mean, it's bad.

You've been watching too many ads. Samsung is pushing enterprise hard put they aren't there yet. Unless I'm missing something you can also buy a capacitive pen for virtually any current touchscreen phone on the market.

Furthermore for professionals Android security is far behind that of Apple, Microsoft, and even RIM.

IIRC somebody who was on the original development team for Android talked about how the touch interface was an add on, and how the core of the Android OS will ALWAYS have lag until they start from square one. So I don't think it's that simple.

You'll love the 5. I would've bailed on a Apple too if the only iPhone option was a 3GS or a 4. Great phones when they came out- but not so much anymore.

What are all these mystical features the iPhone is missing next to your One X? I also seem to recall you jumped ship long before you got rid of the 4 or bought the 5, so I'm skeptical that you "really wanted to like it." And when you say it sat on your desk- did you even use it?

Stacked up to the One X, the 4 is a garbage phone. The 5 is not.
Biggest thing iOS is missing is widgets, you can see, the weather, look at your calendar, and emails without opening an app. With Google now on jelly bean, I can even see how long it takes to get home from wherever I'm at, in traffic with out opening maps. I love it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #39
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Android is Childs play...

OP what did you get.

Also the Note2 replacing the computer is dumb as ****. No cell phone / android is going to replace the an actual PC which has far more capabilities than any android or ios device.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #40
Elvin123

My Ride: 328i
Razr v3