E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Depending on your key hole position in the glove box when you lock the car, it can be:
a) locked all the time
b) unlocked all the time
c) locked (automatically) when you lock your car, then unlocked automatically when you unlock it.

I think C is the straight up position.

If it's locked and it won't open, try forcing the key to the left IIRC, and then try to open. Use different force/touch as I said below if that doesn't work.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 10-08-2012 at 11:12 AM.
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #22
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
I got mine open by using a small screwdriver to push up on the metal latch that you can see when you pull the latch handle. There are many posts on this site about the convertible glovebox. BMW put extra security in the convertible so that you can store valuables in the glovebox or trunk with the top down.

The glovebox latch contains a microswitch that locks out the trunk, along with a worm drive postioner that can (and will) prevent the glovebox from being opened when the car is locked.

I'm only partially down the trail to fixing the glovebox. I can open it with a key on a regular basis, and it occasionally drops open when I use the key remote to unlock the car. Kinda like my wife, I haven't got her figured out, but she's livable, and I enjoy the challenge.

See my reply to "Glovebox won't open" in the general e46 thread for a pic of the latch and the metal latch pin that I pushed to open the lock.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
I opened it up, but couldnt quite figure out what the circular ball piece did and how it locks in this or that key position.
Ive been told its s simple part/module that needs to be replaced, bu i havent a clue, what or where?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
johnrando

That ball is what moves the lock into place. I actually bought a used vert glovebox (including the lock mechanism), and switched the internals of the lock with mine. So, I had my lock on the outside, and other "new to me" internals on the inside. That did the trick for me. Guessing you could just buy a new lock mechanism and do the same.

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #25
gry335i

My Ride: 335i
Guys this happened to my vert as well, i went to open it and it was locked and not budging. So after trying to fiddle with it for about 15 mins, i got frustrated and locked the doors and went inside. after a while, I came back and unlocked the car and went to try and open the glovebox and it opened the moment i pulled on the handle without a problem. Can anyone explain this? Because now it opens just fine without a problem.

Last edited by gry335i; 10-11-2012 at 11:55 AM.
gry335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
johnrando

Just make sure to tighten the inner screws and count yourself lucky. When I first had my glove box issue, I took it to the deal. The SA played with it for about 10+ minutes, and finally got it to unlock. Took it in another time, and it took him seconds. Apparently sometimes things just happen with these locks. But, that's when I decided to get a different inner mechanism.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
wildirish317

The outer glovebox latch is pn 51167020044 available for $88.56 at www.thebmwpartstore.com. The inner glovebox latch is pn 51168262566 at $45.43 from the same source.

The inner latch is the handle you pull, which is counter intuitive to me, but I'm left handed. Perhaps inner means closest to the center of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Inner latch.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	473483   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Outer latch.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	473484  
Old 10-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
johnrando

Yup, always thought it was counter intuitive too. So, looks like you can actually transfer your lock to the new mechanism. That's a good feature, so you don't have to use extra keys.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #29
Pbergunder

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Locked Glove Box

Thanks guys...that was totally bugging me. I opened the glove box, tightened the screws and now works like a charm!
Pbergunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #30
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
The outer glovebox latch is pn 51167020044 available for $88.56 at www.thebmwpartstore.com. The inner glovebox latch is pn 51168262566 at $45.43 from the same source.

The inner latch is the handle you pull, which is counter intuitive to me, but I'm left handed. Perhaps inner means closest to the center of the car.
So do I just buy the one u have pictured on the right?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #31
silber92

My Ride: 330CiC
Hey John: How did you actually get the lock mechanism transfered from your old to new latch? I may need to replace the outer latch on the ZHP vert I just picked up last week (Woot! Finally done looking for the right car...) and didn't see exactly what was holding it in place.

I thought it might be the metal pinch pin or hinge, but I couldn't get that to budge either way.

Thanks,

Michael
silber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #32
johnrando

So I used MY entire locking mechanism/handle (they call it the inner piece but it's on the outside of the glove box) with a different outer (the piece inside the glove box). So, I didn't need to transfer the actual lock. I just married up the two pieces. The "new" mechanics worked with my lock.

If you do figure out how to transfer just that actual locking mechanism, please post it for us.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #33
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
So do I just buy the one u have pictured on the right?
The one on the left (with the key cylinder) has the little plastic knub that breaks off. If yours is broken, you need it.

The key cylinder can be transferred from your old latch. I've seen a post on this site about it somewhere.

I'm probably going to change mine to a coupe latch, which doesn't have all of the electronics, and is much cheaper. I can use the key when I want to lock the glove box. Pns are 51168163017 (outer) $11.30 and 51168163018 (inner) $10.82. That's a complete new setup for less than $25.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #34
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
You can transfer the lock cylinder, I just do not recall how I did it.

I also think??? that both doors need to be unlocked for the glove box to unlock?? just like the trunk??

Once key position of the glove box lock is to lock the trunk button out, a Valet mode as I recall?

I ended up breaking the small nub on my Vert latch and that glove box is like a vault. What a PITA to get open. Had to pull the hinge rod and drop the rear of the box, still never put a few of the C clips back in 2 years later!!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #35
Nycscoobydan

My Ride: 330Cci
Does anyone have a definitive answer as to what each of the 3 key positions do, and what position it will open in? For the last few weeks my glovebox has been locked and i've tried many of the tips&tricks to no avail. If i turn the key to the right, the handle will move but it doesnt feel like it is attached to anything. If the key is vertical(middle) position, the handle will not move at all. When i try to turn the key to the left there is a lot of resistance, until it pops and lets you turn it all the way left. I read that you can try the lock with the key in the cylinder. When i try this with the key turned left, it rotates back to vertical while i left the handle.
Nycscoobydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #36
wildirish317

The key positions are outlined in another thread. Search "glovebox key positions" to find it.

You will have to pick the lock to open it, which is stupid simple. Get a small flat blade screwdriver and flashlight. Stand on your head so you can see between the outer/inner latches as you slightly raise the latch. Push up on the silver looking latch pin with the screwdriver and the glovebox will open. You can the remove the two screws of the latch, take it out, take it apart, and see what's going on.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”