E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
M3_Ryder

My Ride: 2003 M3
Need help bulking up without getting fat...

Alright here's the deal. I'm about 6'3 and 170lbs. Going to start working out next week when I get my gym pass. My question is, how can I bulk up without getting fat? I want to be over 200 lbs and right now I feel like I'm way to skinny. Thanks for the help.
M3_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
eating alot of peanut butter is one way....and i heard creatine is really good
Custom3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
yesyes2

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3
eating alot of peanut butter is one way....and i heard creatine is really good
bad advice...

you just have to eat alot (like 5-6 times aday), take protein shakes few times aday, and hit the gym 3-5times/week... by following that i went from 155 pounds to 193 in 1 year... creatine is good while you on it (it gets water into your cells) but once you get off it you will loose almost all your gains... the hardest part is to get your ass into gym, good luck

** Offensive Images Removed **
yesyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
You eat big to get big. There is what you call a clean bulk in which you minimize the fat you gain while bulking. You're gonna put on fat no matter what if you plan on bulking, no way around it. Make sure your nutrition is in check, w/o that, you won't achieve w/e goal you're going for. Have a balanced diet of carbs/protein/healthy fats. Try to get most of your carbs early in the day for energy, and then decrease the carb intake by night... while increasing the EFA intake in the evening to slow the way your body digests it's protien to prepare you for your 8 hours of sleep. Drink lots of water, and take supplements. Good supplements to take are whey protein, creatine monohydrate powder, L-glutamine, a multi-vitamin, and some flaxseed oil. You'll also want some maltodextrin and dextrose for your post workout shake (the most important meal of the day). Don't expect a change overnight either, these things take time. I suggest you buy some almounds to snack on throughout the day and also drink lots of water. Lift heavy and keep the reps low.

As long as your diet good and workout are good, you'll be fine.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS

Last edited by bimmerchop; 12-28-2005 at 03:14 PM.
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
M3_Ryder

I appreciate all the replies guys. So basically I just need to "pig out" on healthy foods? Because I know the wrong way of bulking up would be going to Mcdonalds for everyone of my meals. And does anyone know of any good workout forums? I really need to get my diet on track.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
bimmerchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Ryder
I appreciate all the replies guys. So basically I just need to "pig out" on healthy foods? Because I know the wrong way of bulking up would be going to Mcdonalds for everyone of my meals. And does anyone know of any good workout forums? I really need to get my diet on track.
Not really pig out, you shouldn't over eat any meal, but make sure you're eating atleast every 3 hours.

abcbodybuilding.com is a great forum

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
Old 12-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #7
yesyes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop
Not really pig out, you shouldn't over eat any meal, but make sure you're eating atleast every 3 hours.

abcbodybuilding.com is a great forum
hey bimmerchop, what excersises I should do at home to get 6 pack showing up ? and how many times a week I should do abs for maximum performance ? (that's the only yhing i'm missing ;/ )

Old 12-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
bimmerchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyes2
hey bimmerchop, what excersises I should do at home to get 6 pack showing up ? and how many times a week I should do abs for maximum performance ? (that's the only yhing i'm missing ;/ )
Hit abs twice, MAX 3 times a week. I only do abs once a week and still see great results. Abdominal muscles are just like any other muscle, they need time to heal and grow, you can't do them every day or every other day. That being said, you should also do weighted excercises to keep the reps low and heavy. Weighted crunches, leg raises, and side bends. A swiss ball is also something very useful to have as well

Keep in mind though, if you still have fat around your midsection, you can workout forever and not have a visible 6 pack. Diet and cardio is how you get rid of that extra fat.

euro.techniks

Old 12-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #9
M3_Ryder

Thanks for all the help yesyes2 and bimmerchop!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #10
yesyes2

Quote:
Hit abs twice, MAX 3 times a week. I only do abs once a week and still see great results. Abdominal muscles are just like any other muscle, they need time to heal and grow, you can't do them every day or every other day. That being said, you should also do weighted excercises to keep the reps low and heavy. Weighted crunches, leg raises, and side bends. A swiss ball is also something very useful to have as well

Keep in mind though, if you still have fat around your midsection, you can workout forever and not have a visible 6 pack. Diet and cardio is how you get rid of that extra fat.
but I don't want to diet, it was so hard to put on weight and I don't want to loose it you know... hrmm

Old 12-28-2005, 08:17 PM   #11
bimmerchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyes2
but I don't want to diet, it was so hard to put on weight and I don't want to loose it you know... hrmm
You're dieting right now. Diet is nothing but a word that describes what you eat on a day to day basis. You just have to "tweak" it a bit to lose some fat. And if you do it right, you'll minimize muscle lose, and you'll maximize fat loss.

euro.techniks

Old 12-29-2005, 01:47 PM   #12
yesyes2

Quote:
You're dieting right now. Diet is nothing but a word that describes what you eat on a day to day basis. You just have to "tweak" it a bit to lose some fat. And if you do it right, you'll minimize muscle lose, and you'll maximize fat loss.
how do i tweak it ? what u usually eat everyday ?

Old 12-30-2005, 02:33 AM   #13
bimmerchop

The only thing I really change about my diet when bulking is I cut down the carbs just a bit, along with some calories. Not too much at all though since I still keep the carb/protien/fat ratio pretty healthy and balanced. A typical day for me now looks like this...

meal 1- whey protien shake with oats
Meal 2- Tuna and some red kidney beans or turkey breast sandwhich
Meal 3- steak or chicken with some veggies, 1 sweet potatoe or yam
Meal 4- PWO shake
Meal 5- same as meal 3, but add 1 tablespoon of flax oil
meal 6- Grilled chicken salad with flaxseed oil and vinegar
Meal 7- 1 cup cottage cheese, with a handful of almounds. Sometimes a Casein protien shake.

I drink a ton of water, and every once in a while throw in a protien shake and snack on some almounds throughout the day in between meals whenever I'm hungry. I also take some basic supplements. I eat pretty clean whether I'm cutting or bulking, I just try to get atleast 40 g's of protein each meal so I just change a few things. Major difference with a typical day of me bulking is I eat an 8, sometimes 9 meals a day, not just 7, and have more carbs. I still keep carbs in while cutting, don't think I cut them out, you need carbs regardless for energy.

euro.techniks

Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
You eat big to get big. There is what you call a clean bulk in which you minimize the fat you gain while bulking. You're gonna put on fat no matter what if you plan on bulking, no way around it. Make sure your nutrition is in check, w/o that, you won't achieve w/e goal you're going for. Have a balanced diet of carbs/protein/healthy fats. Try to get most of your carbs early in the day for energy, and then decrease the carb intake by night... while increasing the EFA intake in the evening to slow the way your body digests it's protien to prepare you for your 8 hours of sleep. Drink lots of water, and take supplements. Good supplements to take are whey protein, creatine monohydrate powder, L-glutamine, a multi-vitamin, and some flaxseed oil. You'll also want some maltodextrin and dextrose for your post workout shake (the most important meal of the day). Don't expect a change overnight either, these things take time. I suggest you buy some almounds to snack on throughout the day and also drink lots of water. Lift heavy and keep the reps low.

As long as your diet good and workout are good, you'll be fine.

I'm going to bump this because Rich made dieting easy to understand for a layman.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-26-2013 at 01:33 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
AmazingNutz
Banned User

My Ride: carpet
Do compound lifts and eat massive amounts of protiens and fats but limit the carbs. /thread.

Sent from my G6
AmazingNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
bimmerchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I'm going to bump this because Rich made dieting easy to understand for a layman.
LMAO! Nothing like a good old 8 year old thread bump

euro.techniks