E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #201
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 567
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Which one was your favorite?

depends on the power band.

If you have twin 62 mm chargers like I do 3,64 is very good as it allows to use higher rpms.

If its got more low end torque like a S54 with a single 68 mm turbo then 2,65 pulls and pulls and feels as if the pull will never end.

so many factors play their own roles.

so cant say this ratio or that is better.
__________________
XM3 = all wheel drive E46 M3 launching

4,23 s 60-130 mph E46 M3 TT
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #202
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,324
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
Marcus,

May God save your grandmother.

Regarding your bolt issues:
I am still on oem vib damper.

1- check the tightening specs on the bolts.

2- get your flyheel balanced, just a precaution. It may be off balance.
Btw, I've actually tried two os giken fly wheels, both brand new. But yes, I should probably balance everything from here on out before installing.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #203
wanganstyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern California; SF BAY
Posts: 174
My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
I was able to use 2,65 / 2,81 / 2,93 / 3,07 with OS LSD.
Im sure it's "possible" but which model housing are you using? And with stock ring gear or modified?

Which one are you using?

I can massage just about anything to fit or even make the entire unit from billet if desired- but I respect the manufacturers settings and engineering a lot

Ive heard alot of things posted by you and am not sure if I really believe many- I know my os giken units and compatibility as I get direct support and supply from os giken usa

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
__________________

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 01-22-2013 at 04:47 AM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #204
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 567
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
Im sure it's "possible" but which model housing are you using? And with stock ring gear or modified?

Which one are you using?

I can massage just about anything to fit or even make the entire unit from billet if desired- but I respect the manufacturers settings and engineering a lot

Ive heard alot of things posted by you and am not sure if I really believe many- I know my os giken units and compatibility as I get direct support and supply from os giken usa

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App

OS Giken directly bought from OS Japan. I ve been in touch with OS japan.

Ring and pinion 210 mm bought from XYZ shops.

No massaging, no modifications, straight fit.

I dont care if you believe in me, I ve been able to hold the fastest 60-130 mph record of 4,23 s for the last 16 months.

So what I advise or comment has been tested to the extremes.
__________________
XM3 = all wheel drive E46 M3 launching

4,23 s 60-130 mph E46 M3 TT
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #205
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 567
My Ride: M3
Marcus,

You may need to start by balancing the crankshaft & vib damper & flywheel & clutch all individually and then all assembled.

VAC sells a very nice VIB Damper, which I may get soon.

But to aid your case, I ve been able to rev all day long 9000-9200 rpm with zero issues, and mine is a stroker 3,500 cc as well.

So the main source could be balance related.

1st get all rotating parts individually balanced

2nd get them assembled and then balanced as an assembly.

3rd buy an oem vibration damper.
__________________
XM3 = all wheel drive E46 M3 launching

4,23 s 60-130 mph E46 M3 TT
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #206
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,836
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Guys,

A word of warning about the VAC damper that's built by ATI: It may not be designed for your power level.

When I asked VAC what power level the damper was designed for, they would not answer. (I'm assuming they don't know)

The reason why I bring this up is that I've been involved with quite a few custom BMW dampers from ATI, including some well over 1000rwhp. There are different damper ring sizes and rubber compounds for various power levels, so the damper really is...and should be designed exactly for your power level.

If you have any technical questions about this, I highly suggest getting in touch with ATI directly.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #207
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 567
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Guys,

A word of warning about the VAC damper that's built by ATI: It may not be designed for your power level.

When I asked VAC what power level the damper was designed for, they would not answer. (I'm assuming they don't know)

The reason why I bring this up is that I've been involved with quite a few custom BMW dampers from ATI, including some well over 1000rwhp. There are different damper ring sizes and rubber compounds for various power levels, so the damper really is...and should be designed exactly for your power level.

If you have any technical questions about this, I highly suggest getting in touch with ATI directly.

Adam,

Does whp matter for the vibration damper or is it the frequency that happens at certain engine speeds which will destroy the crankshaft?

As far as I know, frequencies increase up to a point between x rpm and y rpm and cause the crankshaft and bearings to move, flex and destroy.

What matters whp or engine speed?

BTW, have you taken logs of your turbo speed sensor? I follow you with pleasure Adam.
__________________
XM3 = all wheel drive E46 M3 launching

4,23 s 60-130 mph E46 M3 TT
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #208
wanganstyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern California; SF BAY
Posts: 174
My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
OS Giken directly bought from OS Japan. I ve been in touch with OS japan.

Ring and pinion 210 mm bought from XYZ shops.

No massaging, no modifications, straight fit.

I dont care if you believe in me, I ve been able to hold the fastest 60-130 mph record of 4,23 s for the last 16 months.

So what I advise or comment has been tested to the extremes.
Many are more extreme than you: please don't assume you are innovating or doing anything new.

So AFTERMARKET ring and pinion- NOT OEM BMW - thats what I was asking.

I could care less about supposed troll records: rolling start is weaksauce compared to drag launching sub 1.5second 60' at a strip with slicks full brake boosting.

I have set up 188mm bmw stock diff with stock gears and stock lsd to handle more power than you make; 30+ passes 1000rwhp and mid to low 9's' - video is all over the web for this car

Key point here is not my car nor my own claims - a well known local car and client- a reputable HONEST one

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
__________________

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 01-22-2013 at 07:27 AM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #209
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,836
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
Adam,

Does whp matter for the vibration damper or is it the frequency that happens at certain engine speeds which will destroy the crankshaft?

As far as I know, frequencies increase up to a point between x rpm and y rpm and cause the crankshaft and bearings to move, flex and destroy.

What matters whp or engine speed?

BTW, have you taken logs of your turbo speed sensor? I follow you with pleasure Adam.
Mert,

It's a function of power and frequency (RPM).

If you ran the engine on a Spintron, which basically spins the crank at a desired RPM without combustion, you will find harmonics are present. This is a function of the inertial loads from the rotating assembly (pistons, rods) Looking at the piston/pin mass alone, you have approximately 500 grams X 4300g (@8000 RPM) of deceleration at TDC which is 4,700 lbs pulling up on the crank.

The combustion event can be 1800+ PSI peak for a gasoline turbo, and over 3000+ PSI for nitromethane for example. Imagine 1800 psi acting across a 3.3" diameter piston. That's approximately 16,000 lbs force onto the crank, which is then released very quickly.

So we have approximately 20,000 lbs of force change very quickly on the crank. (Again, limited to only the piston assembly mass)

By changing RPM, we vary the force change a little bit, but the main amplitude change comes from combustion. So you can see that by varying power levels, which changes the peak cylinder pressure, that the required harmonic damping effect changes a lot.

The harmonic signature of the crank, or the frequencies that it resonates at, don't really change much with RPM....but the amplitude does. Most of the time with modified engines, the harmonic problem shows up because of spending more time in a problem area....or with added power, the problem area is bigger.

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 01-22-2013 at 07:47 AM.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #210
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,836
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Oh...and I've attempted to take some logs of the turbo speed sensor, but what my little speed gauge reads, and what an EMS reads is different story. The EMS situation has evolved due to various reasons, so I don't have hardware in my hands currently.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #211
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 567
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post

I could care less about supposed troll records: rolling start is weaksauce compared to drag launching sub 1.5second 60' at a strip with slicks full brake boosting.

+ 1

Troll records are verified on famous pages and valid worldwide.
__________________
XM3 = all wheel drive E46 M3 launching

4,23 s 60-130 mph E46 M3 TT
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #212
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 567
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Oh...and I've attempted to take some logs of the turbo speed sensor, but what my little speed gauge reads, and what an EMS reads is different story. The EMS situation has evolved due to various reasons, so I don't have hardware in my hands currently.
are you running sq6 on m54?
__________________
XM3 = all wheel drive E46 M3 launching

4,23 s 60-130 mph E46 M3 TT
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #213
gringotegra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver WA
Posts: 337
My Ride: Turbo
Marcus,

If you were to drop 300-400lbs in your car alone and get it down to the weight that the HPF Drag car is i have no doubt it would be faster.

That car needs some things figured out on it, i still feel like the 10.2 it ran was pretty weak all things considered (2600lbs, th400 ETC).

Good luck and i have a feeling it should do what you need it to!
__________________
10.12@151mph..... English Racing
gringotegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #214
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,324
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringotegra View Post
Marcus,

If you were to drop 300-400lbs in your car alone and get it down to the weight that the HPF Drag car is i have no doubt it would be faster.

That car needs some things figured out on it, i still feel like the 10.2 it ran was pretty weak all things considered (2600lbs, th400 ETC).

Good luck and i have a feeling it should do what you need it to!
I might take my subs/amps out but that's only about 100lbs. The HPF drag car needs more shakedowns and fine tuning. Its power to weight ratio should put it deep into the 9's no problem. I think I can get mine into the high 9's at mfest with fresher slicks and no subs. The street slicks we ran on last year were very old and dry.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #215
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,836
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
are you running sq6 on m54?
Mert,

I'm looking at a range of new options, but I have to wait a couple of months for the next software releases before we get pricing. It appears I've created a functionality list that most currently available ECUs can't support....
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #216
Twin_Turbo_S54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 567
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Mert,

I'm looking at a range of new options, but I have to wait a couple of months for the next software releases before we get pricing. It appears I've created a functionality list that most currently available ECUs can't support....
Adam,
wish you luck.
__________________
XM3 = all wheel drive E46 M3 launching

4,23 s 60-130 mph E46 M3 TT
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #217
m3micke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sweden
Posts: 37
My Ride: e46 m3
2012 1,64 9,79
m3micke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #218
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,324
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3micke View Post
2012 1,64 9,79
I think you meant to post this in a different thread?
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #219
cd330
ModZombie Moderator
 
cd330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dr. Satan's House of Horrors
Posts: 34,512
My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3micke View Post
2012 1,64 9,79
A+ thread, would read again
__________________
cd330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #220
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,324
My Ride: BMW's
Just an fyi.. but I was not able to build a dedicated drag car as after a week or two of deciding to do this I wound up having to move, time got limited and I didn't have the ability to start from scratch and still make MFest. So I've been working on improving the times on the LSB 6spd.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use