E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #41
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Android is Childs play...

OP what did you get.

Also the Note2 replacing the computer is dumb as ****. No cell phone / android is going to replace the an actual PC which has far more capabilities than any android or ios device.
What do you mean child's play?

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #42
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
I've been through a slew of Android phones; I was waiting for the iPhone 5. I'm on Verizon and when I heard the iPhone 5 doesn't do simultaneous voice and data that pretty much made my decision. Every 4G LTE android phone have simultaneous voice and data. There is no reason for Apple to not provide this.

The other thing that really cemented the decision is the lack of setting default apps. I don't always want to use Safari, Apple Maps, etc when opening links and such. On Android, you can set what apps you want to load certain links by default...using the program you like, not what is forced on you.

Finally, connection with Google services is amazingly better on Android. YouTube and GMail support are just way better.

I miss a bit of the extra polish iPhone provides, but I feel I'd miss the functionality more.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 01-27-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #43
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
What are all these mystical features the iPhone is missing next to your One X? I also seem to recall you jumped ship long before you got rid of the 4 or bought the 5, so I'm skeptical that you "really wanted to like it." And when you say it sat on your desk- did you even use it?

Stacked up to the One X, the 4 is a garbage phone. The 5 is not.
I can download anything to my phone and open it up with any app I want. I can share links and documents with just about any app out there. iOS is like a linear gameplay game and Android is an open world game.

No, I didn't play with the one on my desk. I played with other people's 5s. I didn't want to open mine because I thought I would want to sell it. And I did.

Last edited by 'busa; 01-27-2013 at 10:15 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #44
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I've been through a slew of Android phones; I was waiting for the iPhone 5. I'm on Verizon and when I heard the iPhone 5 doesn't do simultaneous voice and data that pretty much made my decision. Every 4G LTE android phone have simultaneous voice and data. There is no reason for Apple to not provide this.

The other thing that really cemented the decision is the lack of setting default apps. I don't always want to use Safari, Apple Maps, etc when opening links and such. On Android, you can set what apps you want to load certain links by default...using the program you like, not what is forced on you.

Finally, connection with Google services is amazingly better on Android. YouTube and GMail support are just way better.

I miss a bit of the extra polish iPhone provides, but I feel I'd miss the functionality more.
There is a reason they don't offer it. It has to do with the chipset they chose and the antennas they include in the phone. It's not a software or firmware limitation.

I guess they didn't feel like building yet another antenna in the phone for the benefit of Verizon and Sprint. All the other carriers (with different 3G/network protocols) support voice and data on the iPhone 5.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #45
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I'm on Verizon and when I heard the iPhone 5 doesn't do simultaneous voice and data that pretty much made my decision. Every 4G LTE android phone have simultaneous voice and data. There is no reason for Apple to not provide this.
^^^What he said. Voice and Data has been a thing with the iPhone since iOS 2.1.

2002 M3

Last edited by kaput; 01-27-2013 at 11:10 AM.
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #46
TruckDaddy

My Ride: 1991 Kenworth T600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
I own an iPhone5, but had a chance to test out a Huawei AscendMate at CES a couple of weeks ago- the one with the 6" display. Without question, it will be my next phone, even if I have to buy one unlocked on eBay, from a Chinese seller. I hate the Note II, but the Huawei is SO well built, so fast, and the screen is stunning. I cannot wait to get my hands on one.
These screen sizes are getting out of hand.

Say what again. Say What AGAIN! I DARE YA, I DOUBLE DARE YA MOTHAFCUKA! SAY WHAT ONE MORE GOD DAMN TIME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enter
It's a social thing guys get over it. My mom said in Chinese culture the longer your hair down there is the higher class you are, and my mom is one of the classiest ladies i know.
TruckDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #47
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
lol, please don't try to school me. I was on every new nightly out there (that's the very latest ROM, kernel, baseband, etc.) and on Jellybean before the official OTA push. The iphone 5 is faster, smoother, and does all the basics better than any current Android out there.

I've owned both, and unless you have too, please don't compare.

The S3 is a fine phone once you remove touchwiz and get to the Vanilla Android experience. It still is not as good as the iPhone 5 at the basics. And the iphone 5 is much faster/smoother despite whatever hardware they packed into the S3. I believe independent tests support that claim too.

All that aside, the most important thing is end-user real-world experience: iPhone 5 is just so much more of a pleasure to use.

I do look forward to the next generation of Androids. The next major OS overhaul should be a great one, and with better hardware coming out from those makers, we have a lot to be excited about.
Can't say it any better. I think the one thing I miss about my android is the home screen ability to hold your thumb on an empty space and you can add shortcuts from there. Aside from that..

Texting, camera, copy/paste, accuracy and ease of the keyboard, the smoothness/interface, toggling between apps, shutting down all apps, and the size/weight have it over the android/s3 all day long.

Call quality does go to the Andriod however. My calls are noticeably more muffled and spotty, something i always realized when i called someone with an iPhone. I don't drop calls, but even with full service (Verizon iPhone5) the calls are still broken up a little.
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #48
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
Can't say it any better. I think the one thing I miss about my android is the home screen ability to hold your thumb on an empty space and you can add shortcuts from there. Aside from that..

Texting, camera, copy/paste, accuracy and ease of the keyboard, the smoothness/interface, toggling between apps, shutting down all apps, and the size/weight have it over the android/s3 all day long.

Call quality does go to the Andriod however. My calls are noticeably more muffled and spotty, something i always realized when i called someone with an iPhone. I don't drop calls, but even with full service (Verizon iPhone5) the calls are still broken up a little.
Interesting perspective.

Do you by chance have a case?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #49
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDaddy View Post
These screen sizes are getting out of hand.
werd, makes me wonder if these people use murses to carry them around in. My Droid 3 isn't that big but I still feel it takes up too much pocket space.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #50
JJR4884

Quote:
Interesting perspective.

Do you by chance have a case?
barely lol

i have this case and i absolutely love it

http://www.amazon.com/LF-Black-Feeli...+slim+iphone+5

flat/matte finish like the iphone5, and very very thin. i despise iphone5 cases that are rubbery and big, i understand some people do actually need to protect their phone from a lot of things, but for someone who doesn't drop their phone, this case is perfect and doesn't change the feel or the size of the phone when you are holding it

Last edited by JJR4884; 01-27-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #51
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
barely lol

i have this case and i absolutely love it

http://www.amazon.com/LF-Black-Feeli...+slim+iphone+5

flat/matte finish like the iphone5, and very very thin. i despise iphone5 cases that are rubbery and big, i understand some people do actually need to protect their phone from a lot of things, but for someone who doesn't drop their phone, this case is perfect and doesn't change the feel or the size of the phone when you are holding it
Ahh okay, that case is definitely not interfering with any of the microphones.

You should try getting a skin and ditching the case.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #52
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
werd, makes me wonder if these people use murses to carry them around in. My Droid 3 isn't that big but I still feel it takes up too much pocket space.
A friend of mine wants one, and he has the Galaxy Nexus currently, he said since he wears suits all day it fits in his suit jacket pocket without it protruding. The only other way you could carry it is with a fanny pack.
slo323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #53
JJR4884

Quote:
Ahh okay, that case is definitely not interfering with any of the microphones.

You should try getting a skin and ditching the case.
any suggestions? i like the fact that it is hard and matte finish, i don't like rubbery skins, this case makes the phone feel no different than holding just the phone itselt, pretty much

Last edited by JJR4884; 01-27-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #54
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
How do you pronounce Huawei? lol. That phone is huge
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #55
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Nexus 4

An iPhone Lover's Confession: I Switched to the Nexus 4. Completely.

Quote:
Over the past few years I've invested a lot into Apple products and services.

If you'd come by my house, you'd find four of the latest Apple TVs, two iMacs, the latest MacBook Air, a MacBook Pro, more than five AirPort Express stations and Apple's Time Capsule. You could touch every single iPhone, from the first up to the iPhone 5, iPads ranging from first generation to fourth and we've lately added two iPad minis.

My iTunes Library comprises well over 8.000 songs - all purchased via the iTunes Store. No matter whom you would ask, everybody will confirm that I'm what some folks call an Apple fanboy.

The reach of Apple's products goes beyond my personal life.

As the co-founder of Germany's largest mobile development shop, I'm dealing with apps - predominantly iOS powered - in my daily professional life.

Driven primarily by the business I run, I tried to give Android a chance more than once.

In various self-experiments, I tried to leave my iPhone at home for the Motorola Droid, the Nexus One, the Samsung Galaxy S II and S III - and always switched straight back to the iPhone. None of those Android devices have worked for me - yet.

And then I got the Nexus 4.

Putting it into a single line: The latest version of Android outshines the latest version of iOS in almost every single aspect.

I find it to be better in terms of the performance, smoothness of the rendering engine, cross-app and OS level integration, innovation across the board, look & feel customizability and variety of the available apps.

In the following paragraphs, I try to explain why.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 01-27-2013 at 05:38 PM.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #56
fd

My Ride: 530, 2000 328i
iPhone 5. Although us feels light and plasticky all my music and movie purchases r on there
fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #57
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
i5 all the way. Big screen, 4G LTE (made faster by the new A6 chip), and IOS6 make it the best.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #58
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Very interesting. The Nexus 4 is very tempting to me. If it just had a bit more storage; I'm not ready to go totally cloud based.

Although keep in mind that the review is only about the Nexus 4. He explicitly states that he thinks the iPhone 5 is better than the SIII, the main competitor to the iPhone in discussion here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
How do you pronounce Huawei? lol. That phone is huge
"wah-way" apparently.

Last edited by Grande D; 01-27-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #59
Yosha452

My Ride: lexus SC400
i feel like with the size of phones, we should start seeing a phone pocket in pants instead of a change pocket.
Yosha452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #60
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:

"wah-way" apparently.

That's retarded.

I remember at first they wanted to make phones smaller and smaller (ie. razr), now they just want to make them bigger and bigger. I personally thought the Iphone 4/4s was the perfect size, I don't mind the 5, but anything larger than that is just ridiculous.