E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Squiddie

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
New speakers, now need new stereo. Just just need something that fits

I finally put my BSW speaker set into my 2004 330Ci. Great stuff, thanks, guys!

Only to have the CD player in my radio break I really had it with that BMW junk. My 2004 car has a 2001 radio (dunno whether that's original or a scam) and I used the Blitzsafe line-in in the trunk, which also broke but supposedly I have a warranty replacement come in. That still leaves me with a broken CD player.

In December I tried replacing the business cd radio with a generic Kenwood unit, but that failed for 2 reasons: (1) the unit is too deep and there was no space for the wiring harness to go, so it couldn't slide in and (2) the preamp output level (on the RCS connectors) was insufficient to drive the BMW amp.

I really don't need anything fancy, just a line in and a working CD player. Is there an aftermarket radio that is known to fit and that has the appropriate line out levels to drive the BMW amp? The only extra that would be nice is if the volume control on the steering wheel would work.
Squiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
opti

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Just go to Crutchfield and put in your car, see what comes up and what fits. Anything with speaker level outs will be sufficient to drive your amp, low levels won't drive the stock amp.

Two head units that I know will fit are the kenwood kdc-x996 and pioneer deh-p80rs, I have had them both in my car which only has the stock HK amp for now.

Last edited by opti; 01-17-2013 at 07:10 PM.
opti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Squiddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opti View Post
Just go to Crutchfield and put in your car, see what comes up and what fits. Anything with speaker level outs will be sufficient to drive your amp, low levels won't drive the stock amp.

Two head units that I know will fit are the kenwood kdc-x996 and pioneer deh-p80rs, I have had them both in my car which only has the stock HK amp for now.
I don't think the Kenwood will fit. It has the same dimensions as the one that I just had to return because it wouldn't fit.

So the stock amp needs to be fed with the speaker out of regular radios? Kind of disappointing.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
opti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
I don't think the Kenwood will fit. It has the same dimensions as the one that I just had to return because it wouldn't fit.

So the stock amp needs to be fed with the speaker out of regular radios? Kind of disappointing.
It fits, it is what I'm using right now, I put the pioneer in my truck. Yes, you just use the speaker outs.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Squiddie

Our cars must be built differently then.

I managed to snipe a business CD on ebay for an acceptable price. Dunno yet whether it has line in but in any case I have the Blitzsafe (it's working now) and I would have CD playing back.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
Buy a dynavin. Look them up. Kind of pricey but you get what you pay for. Everything you can want in a unit. Aftermarket head units dont look too good in our cars but this one does.You can also post a thread in classifieds in WTB. Hope this helps

Dedication

Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Squiddie

I considered it but to be honest I really need my sunglass compartment since there is very little space to put anything anywhere (I have the sport seats with no pockets).

And navigation is just so much more advanced in modern Android phones. Simply not worth ripping apart the front interior to put in all the antennas required.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:

The oem amp needs balanced differential inputs, not speaker level signals. Line level signal won't work either. I replaced my oem amp with a JL 400/4 amp that accepts balanced differential inputs. Worx fine.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
jpage101

My Ride: '04 330ci - '09 328i
Don't buy a Dynavin. They are complete junk and not worth the headache. Its a great idea...its just not perfected yet.

jpage101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
opti

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
The oem amp needs balanced differential inputs, not speaker level signals. Line level signal won't work either. I replaced my oem amp with a JL 400/4 amp that accepts balanced differential inputs. Worx fine.
The stock amp accepts speaker level, it's a straight shot from an aftermarket head unit to the bmw amp.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpage101 View Post
don't buy a dynavin. They are complete junk and not worth the headache. Its a great idea...its just not perfected yet.
+1
DonaldE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Squiddie

Looks like I never posted the update. Sorry about that.

The Blitzsafe guys gave me a warranty replacement although they didn't have to. Huge thumbs up for that! Would buy again now.

The broken CD player in the BMW radio re-activated itself after I had won an auction for a cheapish pre-line-in business CD radio. I now keep the new one in reach in case the old one screws up again.

So I'm back to having line-in (via the trunk and blitzsafe) and CD at the cost of buying a radio but not having to put it in

I have heard more claims that the Kenwood will fit but I am sure that it didn't for me, unless I would have been willing to not use the harness, and to not use the RCA output plugs. I didn't try radio speaker out to amp in before I had returned the Kenwood but I didn't like the Kenwood anyway. I hadn't noticed before but apparently they merged with JVC and now make JVC junk under two names.

Last edited by Squiddie; 02-27-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
opti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpage101 View Post
Don't buy a Dynavin. They are complete junk and not worth the headache. Its a great idea...its just not perfected yet.
I wish they used a better DAC.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Looks like I never posted the update. Sorry about that.

The Blitzsafe guys gave me a warranty replacement although they didn't have to. Huge thumbs up for that! Would buy again now.

The broken CD player in the BMW radio re-activated itself after I had won an auction for a cheapish pre-line-in business CD radio. I now keep the new one in reach in case the old one screws up again.

So I'm back to having line-in (via the trunk and blitzsafe) and CD at the cost of buying a radio but not having to put it in

I have heard more claims that the Kenwood will fit but I am sure that it didn't for me, unless I would have been willing to not use the harness, and to not use the RCA output plugs. I didn't try radio speaker out to amp in before I had returned the Kenwood but I didn't like the Kenwood anyway. I hadn't noticed before but apparently they merged with JVC and now make JVC junk under two names.
I just finished my Kenwood x996. Fits. Flips down and am using all RCAs. Also using steering wheel controls. All works flawlessly

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Squiddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
I just finished my Kenwood x996. Fits. Flips down and am using all RCAs. Also using steering wheel controls. All works flawlessly
I'm beginning to think my e46 is a cheap Chinese copy
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
2002GreenBMW

My Ride: 2001 325xi
I have the jvc kdr-720 it sounds great, and it matches the orange throughout. It's 170 on crutchfield
2002GreenBMW is offline   Reply With Quote