E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #621
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Just had another look. Yes. I can see it now. Just my gozzy eyes. Just got up. Coffee next.
It's starting to look hairy to my tired eyes, which is probably my cue to go to bed.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #622
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Finished up a Z3 steering rack swap in an E30 325i last night. More stuff to come this weekend!

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 01-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #623
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Finished up a Z3 steering rack swap in an E30 325i last night. More stuff to come this weekend!
Awesome. Non-m, I assume? Do those use lock plates? I never understood why E46s don't use lock plates.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #624
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Awesome. Non-m, I assume? Do those use lock plates? I never understood why E46s don't use lock plates.
Yep.
You mean the tie rod lock plates like the E30 has? I didn't check the Z3 rack since it came with new tie rods and boots already attached, but they should have lock plates.

The later models install different since you can torque the tie rod assembly to the rock. That's harder to do with the design of the previous generations so lock plates are the way to go.

Quote:
Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #625
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Yep.
You mean the tie rod lock plates like the E30 has? I didn't check the Z3 rack since it came with new tie rods and boots already attached, but they should have lock plates.

The later models install different since you can torque the tie rod assembly to the rock. That's harder to do with the design of the previous generations so lock plates are the way to go.
If it's your car, I'd probably pull the boots (zip ties) just to be sure theres lock plates. (Just my opinion)

And AFAIK, both early and later tierods both have a similar design so both need to be "torqued" regardless. I could be wrong though. What's the specific difference?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #626
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
Mr. Maintenance is taking on Dr. Frankenbimmer

Last edited by VALMONT; 01-25-2013 at 06:21 PM.
VALMONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #627
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
lol i'm not taking him on. just getting some feedback on a question i've been pondering a while. these kinds of things keep me up at night!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #628
crazyxzer0

My Ride: 2004 330i
Send a message via AIM to crazyxzer0 Send a message via MSN to crazyxzer0
Damn Z3 non-m steering rack. That must be short as hell compared to the M3 one.

-Derek
Stoptech Front BBK|M3 LSD|GC Coilovers w/ Swift Springs|UUC TSE3 Exhaust|

My Build Thread
crazyxzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #629
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
If it's your car, I'd probably pull the boots (zip ties) just to be sure theres lock plates. (Just my opinion)

And AFAIK, both early and later tierods both have a similar design so both need to be "torqued" regardless. I could be wrong though. What's the specific difference?
Not mine, but that doesn't make a difference. It's a remanufactured assembly and was assembled for a specE30 car, so I have some faith in the components.

Don't get me wrong - you should torque the older style tie rods, too. It's just harder to apply a lot of torque without damaging them. The ends where they screw into the rack, i.e. where you put a wrench, are shaped differently. E30s, e.g., have a 75 Nm torque spec and E46 M3s require 110 Nm. I would feel safer with lock plates regardless, but BMW decided they weren't necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyxzer0 View Post
Damn Z3 non-m steering rack. That must be short as hell compared to the M3 one.
Yeah, no kidding, lol.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #630
323ci newbie

My Ride: mkodama
Kalim <3

today was an install of a new VCG, spark plugs and ignition coils (all of which were original, never been changed)

Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #631
cyberkaa

Yep, was a great day of garagewerke.

In addition to replacing Kyle's very worn out VCG, spark plugs, and coils:
-Fixed Kyle's falling lower steering column trim (loose expanding rivet)
-Changed Kyle's engine oil and reset the oil service light
-Fixed Rick's trunk lock, which wouldn't open with the key
-Changed Rick's cabin air and engine intake filters
-Installed a new ambient temperature sensor on my beater M3
-Cleaned up another section of the garage with quite a bit of help from Kyle

Also set up some new shelving in the garage yesterday with Miles's help. That opened up quite a bit of space for a large delivery of parts that should be coming in soon.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #632
323ci newbie

My Ride: mkodama
Just a couple of pics from today. Spark plugs were just destroyed but the engine didn't have much sludge or bad wear, which was a surprise being that it was on the old plugs/coils/and I have never done anything to it.

And I changed Rick's air filter cabin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359353272.624225.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	488141   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359353293.728020.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	488142  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #633
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
lots of work - kudos as always for doing the work yourself
Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #634
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323ci newbie View Post
Just a couple of pics from today. Spark plugs were just destroyed but the engine didn't have much sludge or bad wear, which was a surprise being that it was on the old plugs/coils/and I have never done anything to it.

And I changed Rick's air filter cabin
Those plugs were terrible, haha. Hopefully you'll get a little bump from the new ignition components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
lots of work - kudos as always for doing the work yourself
Thanks, Stu.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #635
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Not mine, but that doesn't make a difference. It's a remanufactured assembly and was assembled for a specE30 car, so I have some faith in the components.

Don't get me wrong - you should torque the older style tie rods, too. It's just harder to apply a lot of torque without damaging them. The ends where they screw into the rack, i.e. where you put a wrench, are shaped differently. E30s, e.g., have a 75 Nm torque spec and E46 M3s require 110 Nm. I would feel safer with lock plates regardless, but BMW decided they weren't necessary.

Yeah, no kidding, lol.
Makes sense. I wonder if non-M and ///M tierods have the same 110 nm torque requirement? (hard to look up now that TIS is down and I don't remember)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #636
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46mango View Post
makes sense. I wonder if non-m and ///m tierods have the same 110 nm torque requirement? (hard to look up now that tis is down and i don't remember)
100-110 Nm for non-M E46s, IIRC.

Quote:

Last edited by cyberkaa; 01-28-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 AM   #637
cyberkaa

Very busy day of work on an LCI E90 328i today:
-Retrofitted sport steering wheel with paddle shifters
-Installed wireless transmitters for a backup camera
-Tried replacing side mirror housings with M3-style CF housings, but found out they're only for pre-LCI cars. :/
-Removed wheel spacers and replaced 90mm wheel studs with 75mm studs

The owner had also reported that the car had recently started pulling left on hard braking. I discovered that the rear wheel carrier wasn't being located correctly by the track strut, which was causing the rear wheel to toe out. Apparently the bolt had backed out because the threads in the wheel carrier were stripped out during a suspension installation. Time-sert kit is on the way.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2013, 03:30 AM   #638
crazyxzer0

My Ride: 2004 330i
Send a message via AIM to crazyxzer0 Send a message via MSN to crazyxzer0
Quote:
Very busy day of work on an LCI E90 328i today:
-Retrofitted sport steering wheel with paddle shifters
-Installed wireless transmitters for a backup camera
-Tried replacing side mirror housings with M3-style CF housings, but found out they're only for pre-LCI cars. :/
-Removed wheel spacers and replaced 90mm wheel studs with 75mm studs

The owner had also reported that the car had recently started pulling left on hard braking. I discovered that the rear wheel carrier wasn't being located correctly by the track strut, which was causing the rear wheel to toe out. Apparently the bolt had backed out because the threads in the wheel carrier were stripped out during a suspension installation. Time-sert kit is on the way.
some crazy good work there!

-Derek
Stoptech Front BBK|M3 LSD|GC Coilovers w/ Swift Springs|UUC TSE3 Exhaust|

My Build Thread
crazyxzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #639
cyberkaa

Sunday was another full day of garagewerke. I was back at it on Rick's 323ci refreshing all sorts of things that are broken:
-Drilled out and replaced the passenger door card speaker grille
-Replaced missing plastic rivets and stripped torx screws in both front door cards
-Replaced a missing bump stop for the trunk lid
-Adjusted both trunk lid stops and the trunk lid lock latch (sometimes the electric release would double tap because the lid wouldn't pop up enough to release)
-Installed new trunk lid liner expanding rivets
-Adjusted door handles to open with less effort
-Raised rear suspension
-Replaced missing side skirt expanding rivets

It looks like the power steering pump will also need replacement along with the high pressure hose.

Quote:
Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #640
cyberkaa

Finally installed the Time-sert in the E90 that was here over the weekend (as above). The repair is nice and solid and saved the owner from having to replace the entire rear wheel carrier.

Quote:

Last edited by cyberkaa; 02-21-2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361428312

Tags
epic