E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 178 votes, 4.69 average.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #15421
98bimmer

My Ride: E90 330i, E36 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I replaced my oil filter housing gasket yesterday. (second time doing it) Turns out the reason it was leaking was due to a tiny rock-hard piece of residue i failed to scrape off the engine block last time. This previously overlooked residue created a dent in the gasket and a channel for oil to escape. There were actually two nice dents in the gasket upon close examination. So tip for all would be to triple check both mating surfaces for residue!!
Planning on doing this tonight.. how long did it take you?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #15422
JZambrano7

My Ride: 2003 325xi
So I woke up a coolant light this morning. Opened up the tank and saw it empty. Refilled it up but then noticed this. I just had the expansion tank replaced this summer. Should I be worried? I did notice a slight leak nothing crazy regardless taking it to the shop tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359402800.848827.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	488216  

-JZ7-

Last edited by JZambrano7; 01-28-2013 at 02:01 PM.
JZambrano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #15423
98bimmer

My Ride: E90 330i, E36 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZambrano7 View Post
So I woke up a coolant light this morning. Opened up the tank and saw it empty. Refilled it up but then noticed this. I just had the expansion tank replaced this summer. Should I be worried? I did notice a slight leak nothing crazy regardless taking it to the shop tomorrow
Looks like the upper rad hose is coming apart, you should replace it
Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #15424
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
You need a coolant hose. That is not the OEM fitting. The OEM fitting is a molded plastic piece with an oring and a clip. That is a hose clamp.

Wait I'm a moron. That is the OEM hose, but you need a new one. That's gonna fail soon. Don't have the dealer do this. They'll charge you $200 for a 20 minute job and a $30 part.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-28-2013 at 02:14 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #15425
JZambrano7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You need a coolant hose. That is not the OEM fitting. The OEM fitting is a molded plastic piece with an oring and a clip. That is a hose clamp.

Wait I'm a moron. That is the OEM hose, but you need a new one. That's gonna fail soon. Don't have the dealer do this. They'll charge you $200 for a 20 minute job and a $30 part.
Thank you for your response I did manage to do a little research on the part. But I'm not very good at DIY so I'm glad you confirmed it to me. I have a personal mechanic who's fair in his pricing, we'll see what he quotes me tomorrow.

-JZ7-
Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #15426
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Upper radiator hose cracked.
Do not drive with the hose cracked like that.
You can get one from the dealership or from NAPA.
NAPA one will cost you around $30, dealership will cost you around $50. That was last year around this time.

I know because I cracked the same hose when I hammered the fanclutch nut and the wrench hit the hose.
Got one from dealership and one from NAPA to compare. I used the one from the dealership just to be safe and returned the NAPA one. But both looked the same except for the BMW marking.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #15427
JZambrano7

The leak is minimal but I won't be moving the car until tomorrow. Don't want to risk it too much. I just hope it holds up on the way to the mechanic

-JZ7-
Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #15428
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
ah... didn't know that's what you were asking about. Why not just a thin coat of nightshades to darken it?
If I can find an amber tint to go over it, I'd go that route. The 'amber' I found was actually orange, and that shade I managed is with two layers.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #15429
WDE46

Quote:
The leak is minimal but I won't be moving the car until tomorrow. Don't want to risk it too much. I just hope it holds up on the way to the mechanic

Just watch the temp needle the whole way. If it so much as thinks about moving, pull over. The $100 tow will be worth it. You don't want to buy a hose AND a headgasket replacement.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-28-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #15430
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
It's a $30 fix and takes about 30 minutes including clean up, testing and the first beer. Why pay someone to do such a simple task?
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #15431
trj

Quote:
Its not about the amount that is leaking right now, its about the air it has introduced to your cooling system. I'd advice against driving it.

Get a radiator hose from NAPA or dealership(a good idea to get a gal of coolant) and ask your mechanic to drive to you when he is free. It will take max 30 mins to replace including toping(or bleeding) coolant. Give him an hours worth of labor. Just 0.2 cents.
You will spend more if you overheat or even if you have to tow your car there.
You may get away with duct tape and coolant top up before you drive to your mechanic, but it will need a proper bleed anyway as air has been introduced to the system.

When I cracked that hose, I was in a friend's shop trying to DIY. I left the car there for a night and asked his employee to replace the hose later next day. I didnt even start it after I cracked it.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #15432
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777eThOd* View Post
Got tired of getting pulled over so much, so I got my front plates made and put them back on!

Please take off the eyelids and red angel eyes.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #15433
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Just 0.2 cents.
You cheap bastard. You can't even give a full cent?

Last edited by WDE46; 01-28-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #15434
JZambrano7

Quote:
Just watch the temp needle the whole way. If it so much as thinks about moving, pull over. The $100 tow will be worth it. You don't want to buy a hose AND a headgasket replacement.
Yeah I hear you, I learned about all the consequences during my expansion tank replacement. I will def be on the look out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
It's a $30 fix and takes about 30 minutes including clean up, testing and the first beer. Why pay someone to do such a simple task?
If I had an idea of what I was doing I would be more than glad to, besides it's way too cold in NY to be outside working on your car. Rather take it to someone who knows what they're doing and who I trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Its not about the amount that is leaking right now, its about the air it has introduced to your cooling system. I'd advice against driving it.

Get a radiator hose from NAPA or dealership(a good idea to get a gal of coolant) and ask your mechanic to drive to you when he is free. It will take max 30 mins to replace including toping(or bleeding) coolant. Give him an hours worth of labor. Just 0.2 cents.
You will spend more if you overheat or even if you have to tow your car there.
You may get away with duct tape and coolant top up before you drive to your mechanic, but it will need a proper bleed anyway as air has been introduced to the system.

When I cracked that hose, I was in a friend's shop trying to DIY. I left the car there for a night and asked his employee to replace the hose later next day. I didnt even start it after I cracked it.
Thanks for the advice, I will maybe try duck taping it and filling it up until Im at the shop. Sorry for the question but what is the problem with air entering the coolant system? Do i have anything to worry about until tomorrow?

-JZ7-
Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #15435
trj

Quote:
You cheap bastard. You can't even give a full cent?
Yah, he was so keen on driving the car with cracked hose that I thought a full cent wasnt worth it.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #15436
trj

Quote:
Yeah I hear you, I learned about all the consequences during my expansion tank replacement. I will def be on the look out.

If I had an idea of what I was doing I would be more than glad to, besides it's way too cold in NY to be outside working on your car. Rather take it to someone who knows what they're doing and who I trust.

Thanks for the advice, I will maybe try duck taping it and filling it up until Im at the shop. Sorry for the question but what is the problem with air entering the coolant system? Do i have anything to worry about until tomorrow?
No need to worry until tomorrow, but need to fix and get the air out of the system before turning over the engine.
If air is present in a sealed system your temp needle will go whacko and may over heat the engine.
Why risk it? Get a radiator hose and DIY or ask a mechanic or some fellow member near you to help you out. Pay him the amount you were going to pay for the tow.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #15437
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Please take off the eyelids and red angel eyes.

IDK it looks kinda cool.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #15438
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Just ordered the last BMW structural foam in stock for the subframe reinforcement from Mike @ bmwpartstore. All I need now is seam sealer, mega's injection gun, a drill bit, and some nerves of steel as I undergo this intimidating project. Fairly simple but I don't want to waste $200 worth of foam :/

BMW part# 83190445721

I also hope no cracks had developed from the last time i "checked" the subframe area until now (couple months??)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #15439
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Just ordered the last BMW structural foam in stock for the subframe reinforcement from Mike @ bmwpartstore. All I need now is seam sealer, mega's injection gun, a drill bit, and some nerves of steel as I undergo this intimidating project. Fairly simple but I don't want to waste $200 worth of foam :/

BMW part# 83190445721

I also hope no cracks had developed from the last time i "checked" the subframe area until now (couple months??)
Let me know when you're going to do this, I would like to hang out and watch, or help.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #15440
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
Let me know when you're going to do this, I would like to hang out and watch, or help.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App
For sure. Honestly I really have no idea what I am doing with this repair and could use an extra set of eyes. Too bad we aren't in Jersey

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote