E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Heard back from my mechanic, not sure what to do [PS rack]

My 01 325xi was going through oil rather fast and my check engine light illuminated a couple of times recently [triangle w/ circle and !]. After restarting my car after the first time I got the light, it reappeared after about 10 minutes of driving. B/c of the high oil consumption, And that I know I have some PS leaks [the two hoses to the reservoir and that u-shaped line in front of the rack itself] I decided it would be better to drop my car off at the mech so he can scope it out for me [had tried to diagnose it myself when I was back from college over the winter only to find my front jack pad missing]. That was Friday. Oh also there was a ripped ps rack boot that's been like that for about 2-3 months.

Today I get a call from them. They tell me my rack itself is leaking (in addition to the two ps reservoir hoses, but didn't mention the u-shaped line) and that it needs to be replaced. And they listed some other stuff like belts. I can DIY pretty well and have the tools to get it done at my disposal, but I was curious what fellow xi'ers think. I hate working on my car in the cold.... And I have school to focus on.... And I don't really have ~1200 for a remaned rack/pinion. Is this something that I should absolutely not drive on? I've heard of additives that make the ATF fluid thicker and thus internally stop some of the leaks. What are my options here? Now I do know the guys at the shop personally so I may be able to get a good deal, but that's pretty much up in the air. Should I just put my baby into hibernation until I can replace the rack myself?

As long as my oil is good ( which I'm going to change anyway b/c it's due for a change) and I have everything else up to snuff, can I feasibly put off the ps rack until the weather warms up? Or is that ill-advised.

Edit

So I think a better approach is just doing it when I can over the weekends. My main concern is where to get a new rack. Some dude over at bimmer forums got a remanufactured one for 350 or so. That seems more reasonable than realoems estimate of 1200 and change... Also is it a bad idea to go with a rack that isn't ZF? I see non ZF, but a1 remaned "oe-replacement" racks for around 250-450 while ZF remaned ones are from 850-950

Last edited by TR4G-; 01-28-2013 at 10:18 AM.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
I had clicking in the steering and turned out to be a bad rack . Went with ZF reman at same price range you mention. Not sure of labor but was 300 or 400 bucks. Just wanted piece of mind since I intend to keep the car for a long time so went with ZF.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
TR4G-

Same price range as in 850-950? And my rack doesn't have any noises or clicks. Just the leak at this point
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I've never used that power steering leak-stop stuff. I'd probably try it out for a temp fix if it's guaranteed not to ruin the pump. It sounds like you are replacing all of the lines and the rack, so I guess there's not much to lose besides ruining the pump. And possibly gunking up the cooler line by the rad if you weren't planning to replace that line too.

I remember seeing a brand new (not reman) ZF rack for $800 a while back.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
Same price range as in 850-950? And my rack doesn't have any noises or clicks. Just the leak at this point
yes it was 800 for reman ZF in 2009 , Curious where on your rack it is leaking from ?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWAGON View Post
yes it was 800 for reman ZF in 2009 , Curious where on your rack it is leaking from ?
not too sure. I havent personally looked at it. I was informed earlier today via telephone. I'm assuming its from the drivers side seal b/c that boot has been torn for a while now....

I'm looking all over for a good priced ZF rack, I'll ask the shop what they could find as well
Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Call rich at rackdoctor to get a good hookup on a remanufactured rack. I think it's something close to $170 after your core return. The rack is like new and includes new inner tie rods. It's best to call him if you have any questions. He is very helpful
Rackdoctor.net

If you do talk to rich tell him that Peyton from Indiana sent you
Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Call rich at rackdoctor to get a good hookup on a remanufactured rack. I think it's something close to $170 after your core return. The rack is like new and includes new inner tie rods. It's best to call him if you have any questions. He is very helpful
Rackdoctor.net

If you do talk to rich tell him that Peyton from Indiana sent you
thanks peyton, I appreciate it. Depending on it goes tomorrow when I see the rack myself, I think I'm going to shack up my car till spring break and DIY the rack and pinion then. In the meantime I'll try and find a quality reman. Would Rich hook me up with a ZF or a non OE rack?

EDIT: found this on their site: "All components used by Rack Doctor are original equipment or better quality " checked out their site and they do indeed use only OE

Last edited by TR4G-; 01-28-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
KKB-BMW

My Ride: 2004 330ci six speed
Rack can be had for 245.00 search the net thats what I found for a 04 330ci
KKB-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKB-BMW View Post
Rack can be had for 245.00 search the net thats what I found for a 04 330ci
He already found one for much cheaper. Read the thread.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
TR4G-

Is it possible to upgrade the steering rack to a Zhp rack? Not sure if that is even a thing, just wanted to check. Considering the xi rack is more expensive than the others figured it wouldn't be much of a price difference.

Either way, I'm going to order a rack from rack doctor on Monday.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
jmo69

My Ride: 2003 325xi e36 328is
The symbol you described as a check engine light is for your traction control.https://www.google.com/search?q=e46+...71%3B977%3B686

2003 325xi StahlGrau metalic almost modless, wife's DD. 1998 328is lowered, X-brace, Sparco strut brace, HIDs, AEs, almost everything blacked out, my DD.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
The symbol you described as a check engine light is for your traction control.https://www.google.com/search?q=e46+...71%3B977%3B686
Yeah, I'm aware of this. Poor word choice on my part. But thanks for watching out for me :wink:
Old 03-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
TR4G-

Ok so the rack is arriving on Tuesday. I read through the process of replacing the rack in my Bentley but I have a couple questions. Do I need to replace the subframe bolts or can I reuse them? The engine has to be supports by a lift when I lower the subframe ever so slightly to he the rack off right?

Also, if anyone could link me to a DIY for the rack on an xi that would be great. I found one on bummer forums but the pictures are no longer hosted

Furthermore, do I need an alignment after dropping the subframe?

Last edited by TR4G-; 03-17-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
basketthis

My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Ok so the rack is arriving on Tuesday. I read through the process of replacing the rack in my Bentley but I have a couple questions. Do I need to replace the subframe bolts or can I reuse them? The engine has to be supports by a lift when I lower the subframe ever so slightly to he the rack off right?

Also, if anyone could link me to a DIY for the rack on an xi that would be great. I found one on bummer forums but the pictures are no longer hosted

Furthermore, do I need an alignment after dropping the subframe?
From my understanding, the subframe isn't the only thing holding the engine. If the engine is going to move at all, even just a bit, you should take the radiator fan attached to the front of the engine off first! Otherwise, it will be damaged and could potential cause catastrophic damage. Look up issues with our radiator fan if you aren't familiar already. I wanted to point that out prior to you starting the work just in case. I don't believe you will need to support the engine worth an engine mount. And replacing the bolts is probably recommended, but not necessary (depending on who you talk to). I would recommend loctite on those bolts regardless of which ones you choose to use. And take some pics for us when you do it.

Edit: alignment is always good to get. Especially after messing with that much stuff!

Last edited by basketthis; 03-17-2013 at 03:54 PM.
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
From my understanding, the subframe isn't the only thing holding the engine
What else is supporting it? I want to be positive before I get into this. I have an engine lift but I don't want to rig it up if its not necessary.

Also I see a lot of people mentioning to just support the engine from below with a jack and a piece of wood. Is this safe for the engine?

It seems like the subframe is the only thing supporting the engine no? http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=785267

Last edited by TR4G-; 03-18-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
peytonracer4

Wait wait wait!
What?! No! You don't need to remove the subframe. You are adding so much work it's not even funny. Please don't do that. I can't watch you burden yourself with that much extra work.

For reference, I believe the subframe bolts should NOT be reused and I have a $500 labor only shop bill that can convince you to not reuse them.
But don't drop the subframe. There's no reason to.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
What else is supporting it? I want to be positive before I get into this. I have an engine lift but I don't want to rig it up if its not necessary.

Also I see a lot of people mentioning to just support the engine from below with a jack and a piece of wood. Is this safe for the engine?
Yes, you can jack with a piece of wood. Make sure you use a wide one and be gentle. (inb4 that's what she said)

Also, please do NOT repeat NOT reuse subframe bolts. They are designed to stretch when they go in and not be reused when they come out.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-18-2013 at 02:32 PM.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Wait wait wait!
What?! No! You don't need to remove the subframe. You are adding so much work it's not even funny. Please don't do that. I can't watch you burden yourself with that much extra work.

For reference, I believe the subframe bolts should NOT be reused and I have a $500 labor only shop bill that can convince you to not reuse them.
But don't drop the subframe. There's no reason to.
Im going to drop the subframe 3/4 of an inch, not remove it. This is a necessary step for the removal of the ps rack on an xi. But now that I think about it, I could probably just use a jack on the front of the subframe and loosen the front two bolts and ease it down to create clearance. The engine would be supported because its attached to the subframe (which is supported by a floor jack)

Last edited by TR4G-; 03-18-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
peytonracer4

Really? What's different about the xi that doesn't allow you to access the top bolts on the rack?