E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #181
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
thanks, USPS tracking really sucks btw, they haven't updated since last friday! I was hoping it would show up today so I could try it out at hockey tomorrow night, but may have to wait. Or it may be one of those trackers that I'll have it in my hands and get an email a day later saying "delivered" haha

thanks again for shipping it out so fast, and cheap
Yeah their tracking is only good until the border. Sucks but they are so much cheaper to ship with than UPS or FEDEX.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #182
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Yeah their tracking is only good until the border. Sucks but they are so much cheaper to ship with than UPS or FEDEX.
UPS always ****s me with their "customs fees" such bs, I never order from anywhere that uses them
Old 01-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #183
dabears

got my stuff glight, looks awesome can't wait to try it out for hockey.

My calves are sore from fridays workout to the point that I walk around like I took a d*ck up the ass all weekend, so embarrassing... I put on the compression socks and they are helping at least.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #184
dabears

Unfortunately my current 4 day bodybuilding split hasn't been working the way I thought, I dread going to the gym (not in a "good" way) and the amount of exercises / changing of equipment hasn't worked out either, gym is way too busy. I feel like I am being inefficient and wasting time. Also 4 days of weights, as well as hot yoga and hockey once a week isn't allowing me sufficient rest days to recover. I've also had trouble fitting 4 days of weights into a busy lifestyle.

I don't believe this is me being impatient, but rather recognizing a flaw in the way a proven training method doesn't fit my current lifestyle.

So I developed the following to try out until the spring. It's a redevelopment of a routine I found success with prior to switching to a BB like split. All exercises are done heavy, with the first set being a max effort.

Example for squats in the 5-7 rep range

Warmup then

230lb x 5 (my current max)
210lb x 6
190lb x 7

The key is going to max on your first set. Essentially you pick a weight you will max out with at bottom of selected rep range, and then your subsequent dropped weights should be last sets reps + 1. You hopefully finish near or at the top of rep range, 5 to 7 in this case.

I marked the exercises that apply to this rep scheme below for my reference with an (R).

Day 1

Squats - 3 sets : 5 to 7 reps (R)
Stiff-legged Deadlifts - 3 sets : 5 to 7 reps (R)
Standing Barbell Calf Raises - 3 Sets : 12 - 15 reps

Day 2

Bench Press - 3 Sets : 6 to 8 reps (R)
Incline Bench - 3 Sets : 6 to 8 reps (R)
Dips - 3 Sets (eventually weighted when b/w is 15+ reps for 3 sets in a row)

Day 3

Overhead Press - 3 Sets : 4 to 6 reps (R)
Deadlift - 2 Sets : 3 to 5 reps (R)
Chin Ups - 3 Sets (eventually weighted when b/w is 10+ reps for 3 sets in a row, perform until form suffers)
Pendlay Rows - 3 Sets

Day 1 is a focus on quads/hamstrings/calves, Day 2 is a focus on chest/triceps/front delts, and Day 3 is a focus on front/side delts, the entire back, biceps, and rear delts will get hit well with the pendlay rows. Abs from squats/deadlifts etc.

I wanted to include overhead press, I felt day 3 was best suited for it.

Time to put theory to practice, as I was happy with previous program on paper but in real life it didn't work out for me.

Eating remains the same, as I have been very successful at it so far.

Let me know if you identify any imbalances.

I have a feeling you disprove m3inline, but I welcome your feedback regardless

Last edited by dabears; 01-28-2013 at 04:50 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #185
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Look up doggcrapp training. It's based on a similar idea, but with a few warm ups, followed by a max-effort rest/pause set, followed by a "widow maker" 20-rep set.

I don't like the idea of going max effort on the first set. I'd much rather let the engine warm up before flooring it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #186
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Look up doggcrapp training. It's based on a similar idea, but with a few warm ups, followed by a max-effort rest/pause set, followed by a "widow maker" 20-rep set.

I don't like the idea of going max effort on the first set. I'd much rather let the engine warm up before flooring it.
Reading a thorough explanation now, thanks for the tip.

I completely agree with the engine analogy, I guess I didn't specify what warmups would consist of.

Typical squat warmup for instance:

Foam roll for 10 minutes to get loose
Goblet squat position, sitting in the hole also help loosen up

Warmup sets (% of top set weight)
25% x 5
40% x 5
60% x 3
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #187
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: ...a stairclimber!
Quote:

I agree here. I don't like the idea of going full attack the first set either. I already know I'd fail and likely hurt myself, especially with the weight that I'm tossing up.

dabears, essentially you're doing what I already do: start with a percentage and ascend progressively.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-28-2013 at 01:05 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #188
dabears

With the warmup scheme that I posted, do you think I'll be relatively warm without sacrificing performance on worksets? (I'll be able to tell today as well when I start this)

I previously was finishing warmups with 80% of top set, I think that was overkill.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #189
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Seems like it will work well. You seem to have everything covered.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #190
dabears

I wish I could add a 4th day, but I just had to realize the hard way that with the way my life is currently a 3 day split is what works best for me.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #191
DylloS

Quote:
I wish I could add a 4th day, but I just had to realize the hard way that with the way my life is currently a 3 day split is what works best for me.
I don't think you need it. I do 3 days pretty much but just less rest days
Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #192
M3Inline6

I think you'll be fine dabears. You'll know the minute that you implement the new routine whether you're warm enough, burning yourself out too early, etc. Theory and practice are often very different.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-28-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #193
dabears

Thanks, I completely agree. I felt fatigued with this latest split, I think it was too much. I don't think I'm quite there with the recovery just yet. There were some a couple times where I put up LESS reps with same weight as the previous week, and it certainly wasn't from lack of eating.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #194
M3Inline6

Quote:
Thanks, I completely agree. I felt fatigued with this latest split, I think it was too much. I don't think I'm quite there with the recovery just yet. There were some a couple times where I put up LESS reps with same weight as the previous week, and it certainly wasn't from lack of eating.
That happens to me as well. Sometimes moving up 5 lbs. a week doesn't happen, so I sit at the same weight for two weeks until I can move it for an extra rep or two (..or move it the same amount of reps, but without struggle).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-28-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #195
dabears

Quote:

I checked it out, I agree entirely with it. Lots of smart science in the way of lifting, and I love how it showed that on average a muscle group gets hit 52 times / year (once per week) on a bb split, where this method you can cycle the 3 days and hit each group upwards of 80-90+ times a year.

Same with the rest/pause set, majority of muscle is definitely made on the negative phase of the lift. My only quip with this is that it absolutely requires a dedicated spotter, which I unfortunately don't have at the moment. Squats, deadlifts and OHP I don't need a spotter on, and when I do my one max bench set I don't mind asking for one.

I'll keep this in mind for when I get my workout partner back (if ever).
Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #196
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
That happens to me as well. Sometimes moving up 5 lbs. a week doesn't happen, so I sit at the same weight for two weeks until I can move it for an extra rep or two (..or move it the same amount of reps, but without struggle).
I notice that, especially on bench... I get stuck at a certain weight and reps for a week or two, maybe get one more rep on third week... then by the 4th or 5th week I'm able to go up 5, even 10 lbs for same amount of reps. Goes to show the non-linear progression!

I also do it on purpose... I got 5 reps at 225 on squats, but it was very shaky. I've stayed at that max for a month now on purpose, and I've moved onwards and upwards to 230+ safely.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #197
dabears

Was over 180 this morning for the first time in a year... and it was a perfect reading (if my water weight is 56.6 I know it is legit).

Since august, I have gained 9 lbs total, with 6 lbs of it being muscle, and only 3 being fat (confirmed with scale variances).

2:1 ratio... I'm incredibly surprised. Looks like I can hit my 10 lb goal for the year and still leave time from spring -> august for a cut to 10%.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #198
DylloS

Quote:
Was over 180 this morning for the first time in a year... and it was a perfect reading (if my water weight is 56.6 I know it is legit).

Since august, I have gained 9 lbs total, with 6 lbs of it being muscle, and only 3 being fat (confirmed with scale variances).

2:1 ratio... I'm incredibly surprised. Looks like I can hit my 10 lb goal for the year and still leave time from spring -> august for a cut to 10%.
awesome man.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #199
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
awesome man.
thanks... the past two years bulks when I finished around february I was ~195 each time... I gained about 5 lbs of muscle and 20 lbs of fat. Took me from January -> June this time last year to cut the fat gain.

Really starting to become a huge believer in the "leangains" method, its slow and steady but when I cut in the spring I'll be only a few lbs heavier than my summer condition last year, and way stronger.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #200
DylloS

Quote:
thanks... the past two years bulks when I finished around february I was ~195 each time... I gained about 5 lbs of muscle and 20 lbs of fat. Took me from January -> June this time last year to cut the fat gain.

Really starting to become a huge believer in the "leangains" method, its slow and steady but when I cut in the spring I'll be only a few lbs heavier than my summer condition last year, and way stronger.
That's kind of my approach too. Just be patient with it. I do need to get my sh1t together a bit though. I want to eat hardboiled eggs throughout the day, more veggies, and my pre bed shake and I think I'll be good with what I want to happen.