E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #21
Ethaniscool

My Ride: Cars
Ok guys getting into my motorcycle accident totally didn't help me in this progress. Well, I'm getting back into hopefully getting some good definition in my core. Im really a noob when it comes to dieting so this is what im currently doing. I'm not looking to bulk at all maybe ad a little bit of muscle just not alot.

Right now I am 6 foot 150-155 lbs. My BMI is 21.02 and lastly my Basal Metabolic weight is 1796.45

Not really sure what both those mean but I know you guys may need that to help me.

BreakFast
3 egg wites(Plain)
1/2 cup Oatmeal w/half banana and Honey

Snack
Protein Bar

Lunch
Smuckers Natural PeanutButter & Bananna Sandwhich
Iceburg Lettuce and cucumber salad

Snack
1 can Tuna in water.

Dinner
16oz grilled chicken breast w/lemon pepper
Steamed Broccoli W/ Asparagus

Workout Wise I am going to be using P90x lean as a base. So a breakdown for the first 3 weeks are.

Day 1 - Core Synergistics
Day 2 - Ride Road Bike (Still in recovery for broken leg so no jumping around)
Day 3 - Shoulders & Arms + Ab Ripper X
Day 4 - Yoda
Day 5 - Legs & Back + Ab Ripper X
Day 6 - Ride Road Bike
Day 7 - Rest/Stretch

As of tonight. I know I'm hairy I don't care my Gf loves it and shaving is for girls. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
strike three watch your back

Last edited by Ethaniscool; 02-12-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Ethaniscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
If all you want is abs eat little calories, run a lot, and work your abs. IMO you improve your whole look if you just added in some heavy weights. You are very skinny at this point and could def benefit. Do you think you'll get "too big" if you lifted heavy?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
Ethaniscool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
If all you want is abs eat little calories, run a lot, and work your abs. IMO you improve your whole look if you just added in some heavy weights. You are very skinny at this point and could def benefit. Do you think you'll get "too big" if you lifted heavy?
I Just dont want to bulkup up a lot. I feel like when I lift heavy weights I got stocky.

So cardio Cardio Cardio and Abs.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #24
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniscool View Post
I Just dont want to bulkup up a lot. I feel like when I lift heavy weights I got stocky.

So cardio Cardio Cardio and Abs.
No offense but you have a lot to learn. I almost get offended when people say this sh1t because I lift heavy as hell and hardly look any different after a year. And trust me, you're body type will need a sh1t ton of food to gain.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #25
Ethaniscool

Quote:
No offense but you have a lot to learn. I almost get offended when people say this sh1t because I lift heavy as hell and hardly look any different after a year. And trust me, you're body type will need a sh1t ton of food to gain.
I do have A LOT to learn thats why I am posting. No need to get offended. "But I'm not trying to gain, but I get what your saying.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #26
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
In my honest opinion I think you would look sickly with abs, because you wouldn't have a symmetrical vshape.

Chase is completely correct in his post saying you should eat clean food, and lift compound exercises (deadlift bench squat press etc). If you have a proper diet, not only will you "tone up" but you can slowly build muscle and show abs at same time, since you would be new to those lifts I'm assuming.

Trust me when I say this, adding compound lifts and a diet change will make you very happy in 12 weeks or less.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #27
Ethaniscool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
In my honest opinion I think you would look sickly with abs, because you wouldn't have a symmetrical vshape.

Chase is completely correct in his post saying you should eat clean food, and lift compound exercises (deadlift bench squat press etc). If you have a proper diet, not only will you "tone up" but you can slowly build muscle and show abs at same time, since you would be new to those lifts I'm assuming.

Trust me when I say this, adding compound lifts and a diet change will make you very happy in 12 weeks or less.
Alright, My biggest problem right now Is I cant, Deadlift or squat anything Due to my leg still healing. The anchor points in my leg still arent 100% healed.

Does my diet look good for what I'm trying to achieve?

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
dabears

Ok, well for now I don't have much from the exercise standpoint then, if you feel like you can do the workouts you listed then go for it.

Current diet is ok, but you should eat more. The more fat you lose, the skinnier you will look... it just won't be pretty trust me. And this isn't coming from some massive bodybuilder, so don't think I'm trying to encourage you to look like the next arnold. That takes 10+ years of dedication you or I will probably never come close to achieving.

You remind me of myself 4 years ago, wanting abs but not wanting to lift weights and just do cardio.

It won't work out for you, just like it didn't work out for me.

So my personal suggestion, you and others my disagree, is to eat the foods you have been in quantities that will make you uncomfortably full (push yourself) and add in a whey protein / milk after your workouts. You will look much better adding muscle for now than trying to reduce fat. That will come at a later time once you've built a base that you could sustain the abs with.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #29
DylloS

Quote:
Ok, well for now I don't have much from the exercise standpoint then, if you feel like you can do the workouts you listed then go for it.

Current diet is ok, but you should eat more. The more fat you lose, the skinnier you will look... it just won't be pretty trust me. And this isn't coming from some massive bodybuilder, so don't think I'm trying to encourage you to look like the next arnold. That takes 10+ years of dedication you or I will probably never come close to achieving.

You remind me of myself 4 years ago, wanting abs but not wanting to lift weights and just do cardio.

So my personal suggestion, you and others my disagree, is to eat the foods you have been in quantities that will make you uncomfortably full (push yourself) and add in a whey protein / milk after your workouts. You will look much better adding muscle for now than trying to reduce fat. That will come at a later time once you've built a base that you could sustain the abs with.

See what these b1tches do to us. They make everyone want a god damn set of abs at the cost of looking like a starving child.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #30
Ethaniscool

Quote:

I'm not against lifting. Trust me I'm taking in everything everyone is saying. So I'll defiantly be adding heavier weights to my workouts. As of right now after each big meal "breakfast lunch dinner" I do feel really full. Like today I feel great but I know I'll have a little rumble around 3 so I'll eat my can of tuna for a snack. Thanks again man.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #31
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
See what these b1tches do to us. They make everyone want a god damn set of abs at the cost of looking like a starving child.
Or you could have both abs and the body to match
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #32
Ethaniscool

Alright guys I had a bit of trouble getting to my workout yesterday. Was just way to busy. I did however stick to my diet. But I have today off so im going to really push my cardio, also I started following fit men cook and he had a great breakfast idea and I am making it right now.

But in good news I am down from 160 to 135 as of this morning. Saw the GF this past weekend and she said she can already see a huge change

And just to clear it up for some confused people. I don't feel like I am doing this to fit in societies Idea of what men should look like or any of that. I feel I need to be healthier and a strong core is what I always wanted. I HAVE been lifting heavier weights as many suggested and It has helped. This is why I posted I didnt know and now I do. So thank you to everyone that has helped so far.

Ill post a 4 week picture on the 22nd.

Quote:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #33
dabears

I'm saying this is the kindest way sir. You are 6'0 and weigh 5 lbs more than my 5'7 girlfriend.

This isn't about "societies idea of the look of a man" it's about becoming stronger & healthier. You can get incredibly strong and not put on the "size" most associate with lifting weights (thanks to bodybuilding). Majority of that is a fluid in the muscle, and isn't functional strength.

Bruce Lee was incredibly strong, yet in a small frame. I know you have been injured, but you need to EAT more and GAIN strength! You don't have to listen to me, I'm just a random person on the internet... but I really think you would look back and thank those who are giving you this advice.

And if you want to avoid injuries in the future, strengthening your bodies muscle fibers, joints and tendons is probably a good idea as well.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #34
AlexD330

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:

But in good news I am down from 160 to 135 as of this morning. Saw the GF this past weekend and she said she can already see a huge change

And just to clear it up for some confused people. I don't feel like I am doing this to fit in societies Idea of what men should look like or any of that. I feel I need to be healthier and a strong core is what I always wanted. I HAVE been lifting heavier weights as many suggested and It has helped. This is why I posted I didnt know and now I do. So thank you to everyone that has helped so far.

According to your height of 6' 0" your ideal healthy weight is 165 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 147 and 183 pounds.

This was calculated using Hamwi formula, a simple formula commonly used by many clinicians.

Source

Bro, gotta agree with dabears... You are starving yourself of size. You are at LEAST 10lbs underweight... You say you are doing this for health but you are too small and are not more healthy now. Sound like a girl now trying to be a low weight as possible. That's not how this works. You need t oget back to 150-160 and tone that up.

You should re-think what you are doing here and do some more research for diets and exercise tips.
April Dub Mix Out NOW!

Last edited by AlexD330; 02-12-2013 at 10:05 AM.
AlexD330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #35
DylloS

Quote:
Alright guys I had a bit of trouble getting to my workout yesterday. Was just way to busy. I did however stick to my diet. But I have today off so im going to really push my cardio, also I started following fit men cook and he had a great breakfast idea and I am making it right now.

dude you are by some definitions malnourished. You need to re evaluate your goals. There really is no nice way of putting this. You are fuucking nuts. You are a 6' male and 135lbs. Women would kill for those ratios and I know you dont care about "society" but then why the fuuck are you only worried about abs? To please your gf? I honestly don't understand you and would think you were trolling in most cases but I tend to believe you. If you're gf is happy about her 135lb bf I'd be curious to see what she weighs.

Last edited by DylloS; 02-12-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #36
Ethaniscool

Quote:
I'm saying this is the kindest way sir. You are 6'0 and weigh 5 lbs more than my 5'7 girlfriend.

This isn't about "societies idea of the look of a man" it's about becoming stronger & healthier. You can get incredibly strong and not put on the "size" most associate with lifting weights (thanks to bodybuilding). Majority of that is a fluid in the muscle, and isn't functional strength.

Bruce Lee was incredibly strong, yet in a small frame. I know you have been injured, but you need to EAT more and GAIN strength! You don't have to listen to me, I'm just a random person on the internet... but I really think you would look back and thank those who are giving you this advice.

And if you want to avoid injuries in the future, strengthening your bodies muscle fibers, joints and tendons is probably a good idea as well.
I already feel like I am eating ALOT more than I used too. I used to eat half as much as I am now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD330 View Post
According to your height of 6' 0" your ideal healthy weight is 165 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 147 and 183 pounds.

This was calculated using Hamwi formula, a simple formula commonly used by many clinicians.

Source

Bro, gotta agree with dabears... You are starving yourself of size. You are at LEAST 10lbs underweight... You say you are doing this for health but you are too small and are not more healthy now. Sound like a girl now trying to be a low weight as possible. That's not how this works. You need t oget back to 150-160 and tone that up.

You should re-think what you are doing here and do some more research for diets and exercise tips.
Quote:
dude you are by some definitions malnourished. You need to re evaluate your goals. There really is no nice way of putting this. You are fuucking nuts. You are a 6' male and 135lbs. Women would kill for those ratios and I know you dont care about "society" but then why the fuuck are you only worried about abs? To please your gf? I honestly don't understand you and would think you were trolling in most cases but I tend to believe you. If you're gf is happy about her 135lb bf I'd be curious to see what she weighs.
And this is NOT for my GF. She could honestly care less if I weighed 200lbs or 135lbs. and yea she weighs a mere 98lbs. She is 5'4 so not big at all.

Alright so what do I need to eat more of? I am eating around 1,100 calories a day. I added a protein shake before bed with protein bananas and apples. Should I bump this up a considerable amount? I am here to learn and From what your all saying I am doing this **** wrong.
I started using heavier weights as everyone suggested so how much more am I going to have to eat?

But keep in mined I feel fantastic. Never light headed, or feel like I am going to pass out during or after a workout. I am drinking close to 8 glasses a day.

Quote:

Last edited by Ethaniscool; 02-12-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #37
Ethaniscool

Revised nutrition

BreakFast
3 egg wites(Plain)
1/2 cup Oatmeal w/half banana and Honey

Snack
Protein Bar

Lunch
Smuckers Natural PeanutButter & Bananna Sandwhich
Iceburg Lettuce and cucumber salad

Snack
1 can Tuna in water.

Dinner
16oz grilled chicken breast w/lemon pepper
Steamed Broccoli W/ Asparagus

Before Bed Protien Shake w/ 1 scoop protien powder 1 Apple 1 Banana and Ice.

Quote:

Last edited by Ethaniscool; 02-12-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #38
dabears

I did you a favour and added that up for you, based on the detail you provided.

Breakfast
160 calories

Lunch
366 calories

Dinner
360 calories

Snacks
Protein bar - 170 calories
Tuna - 120 calories

Shake
300 calories

Total: 1474 calories

24g fat
153g carbs
172g protein

Being active 3 times a week, you need 2300 calories to stay the same weight.

If you continued to eat the way you do now, you would weigh 123 lbs by April 1st.

You need to double what you are eating (literally, double the portions or split them out over the day), and put some muscle on your body. The more you eat like this, the more muscle you lose, and the less fat you are able to burn. It's incredibly unhealthy.

You have really screwed your metabolism over, guaranteed. You will have a very very hard time eating that kind of food, and will probably have to ramp it up over the next couple of weeks. You need to FORCE the food in, expand your stomach, and get your metabolism going again. Eating tons of soup is a great way to expand your stomach initially for example.

Don't be afraid of fat if it means you are getting the calories in, right now total calories is all you need to worry about.

Keep working out, and eat double what you are now. Look at the breakdown of your day, and fit more calories in where you aren't consuming me (breakfast is the huge standout... eat the yolk and get those calories in).

You will never have six pack abs doing what you are doing now, but what you will obtain is health complications including loss of libido (i'm sure your gf will love that!)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #39
DylloS

Honestly ethan, take spoonfuls of olive oil, coconut oil, and PB throughout the day. Fat does not = getting fat.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #40
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:

Having abs doesn't mean having a strong core at all. And 135 lbs is rediculous. Jesus eat something.