E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL323 View Post
Why would you even leave it unlocked? Personally, if I had a vert, the only time I'd have my roof down when I'm not in the car, is if I'm just popping off for two seconds but the car is still in plain sight. For example a gas station. Every other time, I'd be afraid some a-hole would jump in it or a bird would take a **** in it.

Still, regardless coupé, vert, sedan or touring, ALWAYS lock your car.
So you don't have a vert... yet feel the need to respond?

With the windows up and wind screen installed its pretty hard to just "hop in". Don't be so paranoid.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #22
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Always locked, even with top down. Never leave it at airport, etc. In potentially higher crime areas, I put the top up - not that it really matters.

In areas that "seem" safer, I'll leave it down. I would think that many people would look at an empty vert with the top down as a sign that there's nothing to steal... possibly even more deterrent that a top up in a safer area. I'll also lock the glove box.

I think the glove box is supposed to lock automatically when the car is locked, but mine doesn't.

Julian, with the car locked, the trunk release is de-activated, even with the top down.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 07-24-2012 at 11:57 AM.
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
MyNewRag

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
Quote:
...or a bird would take a **** in it.
As a lot of owners will tell you...this happens if you're parked, if you're at a stop light or even when you are driving ... Just one of the joys of going topless...lol
Old 07-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
CSL323

My Ride: '05 330Cic
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
So you don't have a vert... yet feel the need to respond?

With the windows up and wind screen installed its pretty hard to just "hop in". Don't be so paranoid.
Absolutely! I'm like that. Barging into threads where I have no ground!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewRag View Post
As a lot of owners will tell you...this happens if you're parked, if you're at a stop light or even when you are driving ... Just one of the joys of going topless...lol
happened to you yet?

2005 BMW 330Cic Individual
CSL323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
dpower2012

My Ride: 05 BMW 325CiC
I lock it, sometimes with the top up or down, but always with the windows up. I figure if they go through the effort of reaching around the window the motion alarm will go off.
dpower2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
Healthservices

My Ride: 325i 545i
unlocked, top down, hazards on, radio blaring, key in, engine running,

Last edited by Healthservices; 07-27-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #27
MyNewRag

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
Quote:
happened to you yet?
yeah, I took it as a sort of a christening, luckily I was driving, so it hit my back seat area.
But, on a good note...it wipes off the leather better than the top.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #28
Show me

My Ride: 330 Vert
I only lock it if the top is up. Otherwise, I just keep the glove box locked, which deactivates the trunk button inside, when I park it with the top down.
Show me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #29
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
I always lock my car. When it's locked by the remote it also locks the trunk, gas cap door, and the glove box. Even if there are no valuables in your car someone could still pop off the $500 airbag and twist off your $400 rearview mirror in a few seconds.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #30
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330cic View Post
I always lock my car. When it's locked by the remote it also locks the trunk, gas cap door, and the glove box. Even if there are no valuables in your car someone could still pop off the $500 airbag and twist off your $400 rearview mirror in a few seconds.
What option did you get that includes an automatically locking glovebox? Trunk and gas cap, yes. But glovebox in my car does not lock automatically, and I have most of the bells and whistles.

As with others, even with the top down, I'll lock it, just to keep people out of the trunk. Love that feature. Even if someone gets into the car and unlocks the doors, the trunk stays locked - top up or down. Had it happen in Boston (wanted to save a few bucks on parking, so left it on the street overnight. what an idiot), and all the electronic stuff of my son's stayed safe back there.
sgoetz628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #31
jflynn12

My Ride: 2006 BWM 330CIC
If I'm just going into a store for a relatively short time I leave the top down but roll up all the windows and lock the car. Also, I have the wind deflector installed so that blocks access to the back seats. Still, I never leave anything of value exposed.
jflynn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #32
45auto

My Ride: 2006 330CIC
Quote:
What option did you get that includes an automatically locking glovebox?
Came standard on my wife's 2006 as part of the central locking system, at least I think it did. My owner's manual seems to think that it will lock the glove compartment at the same time as the trunk. I've never checked to see if it actually does.

From 330 vert owner's manual:

Quote:
Central locking system

The concept

The central locking system engages
and releases the following locks at the
same time:

>doors
>luggage compartment lid
>fuel filler door
>glove compartment.

The central locking system is ready for
operation whenever the driver's door is
closed.

The central locking system can be
operated

>from outside via the door lock as well
as via the remote control
>from inside by pressing a button.
45auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #33
dyarstraits

My Ride: 330CIC
I usually keep my top down and unlocked mainly because I am lazy and also because a couple of weird perks to my car that I have not gotten around to fixing.I have my glovebox locked all the time--a very special feature which is unique to my car because the glovebox will only stay closed when it is locked Also my trunk release inside the car does not work no matter if the car is locked or not or if the top is up or down. I have to use the key fob or the key to open the trunk. For the most part I have learned to live with these deficiencies---no OCD yet. And yes bird poop on my leather is easier to take off than on my top.
dyarstraits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #34
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWOODM3 View Post
Why leave it down in the first place? It only takes a few mins to put it back down... I always put my top down as iam pulling into a parking spot. Are you really in that much of a hurry that your willing to risk getting your things stolen or your interior harmed because you can't hold a button for a few mins to put your top up? Your over analyzing the whole situation...put the top up lock the doors and continue on with your day.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

You meant to say "top UP" in the second line of your post, right? You use the term correctly later on...twice.
Just checking.
I agree with you 100%, BTW.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #35
dyarstraits

My Ride: 330CIC
Funny I had a very drunk woman come up to me as I was leaving a bowling alley ask me how I could leave the top down when parked there. I think she was hitting on me due to my ride so I played it cool and told her I leave my box of hundred dollar bills locked in the trunk. I then said the only thing I have to worry about is wasted women with muffin tops throwing up in my car. She got the hint and moved on.
dyarstraits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #36
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoetz628 View Post
What option did you get that includes an automatically locking glovebox? Trunk and gas cap, yes. But glovebox in my car does not lock automatically, and I have most of the bells and whistles.
I've become a psuedo expert on the glove box lock. When I bought my 2004 a month ago, the glove box wouldn't open, period. Now it does, and this is what I know about the lock:

There are three positions, vertical, ccw horizontal, and cw horizontal. In the ccw horizontal position, the glovebox is not locked, even if the car is. In the vertical position, the glovebox is locked automatically when the car is locked. In the cw horizontal position, the glovebox and trunk can only be opened with a master key. This is the valet mode. You can turn your car over to the valet with the valet key and not worry about them going through your storage compartments. Nor can someone break in, open the locks from inside, and get into your trunk or glovebox.

I still haven't got mine working correctly in the vertical position. I assume that it's suffered too much wear and tear. Replacing it is a $150 parts bill. When I have to replace it, I will use a coupe lock, which is $25 worth of parts.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #37
Pbergunder

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
I always leave my top down, but windows up and car locked. This shows the perps that there is nothing inside worth getting, plus with the windows up, you cant reach in easily, and its looks sexy walking up to it!
Pbergunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #38
gomarsha

My Ride: 330ci
yes, the truck locks and so does the glove box
gomarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #39
jimvideopro

My Ride: 2006 330CiC
With the glove box lock position verticle, my GB lock is making a horrible squealing/screeching when
I lock the car - you can hear it even with windows/top up. Anyone experience this and have a way to fix it short of replacing the lock mechanism?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #40
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvideopro View Post
With the glove box lock position verticle, my GB lock is making a horrible squealing/screeching when
I lock the car - you can hear it even with windows/top up. Anyone experience this and have a way to fix it short of replacing the lock mechanism?

Along the lines of, "it only hurts when I laugh, doc," why not just leave it unlocked. Anything of true value can be left in the trunk. I don't have a locking GB and don't feel like locking/unlocking it on a regular basis, and don't want to constantly put my hands on the GB and get it dirty.

And just curious, why show off your convertible using a picture with the top up? Don't mean to sound critical, just curious.

Last edited by sgoetz628; 02-02-2013 at 07:13 AM.
sgoetz628 is offline   Reply With Quote