E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,497
My Ride: JDM
Mexico 'welcomes' new U.S. immigration reform push

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/29/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2


Quote:
But there are an estimated 6.8 million undocumented immigrants from Mexico living in the United States who could benefit from such an overhaul of the U.S. immigration system. And that's a statistic that isn't lost on Mexican officials, who have been pushing for changes in U.S. immigration policies for years.
Glad to see we have the support of the cartels. But Mexico opening its borders or allowing foreigners to buy beach front property? Well, let's just not talk about that.
__________________

Last edited by choxor; 01-30-2013 at 09:28 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
6.8 million undocumented immigrants is an astonishing number. I cannot imagine that's cheap.




edit: I cannot spell worth a ****
__________________

Last edited by casino is no lie; 01-30-2013 at 09:33 AM.
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Many330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Little Elm, TX
Posts: 1,205
My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
It is an astonishing number, that's why action is needed now!
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,497
My Ride: JDM
But hey, that's 6.8 million potential voters, too, for whichever party greases the wheel.
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 557
My Ride: A Car
Mexico's is looking for its own Mariel boatlift.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Millions of guaranteed recipient class Democrats, awesome
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,025
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Millions of guaranteed recipient class Democrats, awesome
This. And it is the SOLE reason the Democrats will push for reform. It's truly PATHETIC and will do nothing to benefit our economy. The tax revenue generated will NEVER cover the costs occurred as entitlements are just furthered to anyone who wants to cross the fkin border.
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 817
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Isn't this a bipartisan push?
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army
 
VALMONT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 24,932
My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
as long as it doesn't effect the price of produce


on topic, oh yay our south of the border corrupt neighbor supports this. maybe they should fix their own country first.
__________________

Last edited by VALMONT; 01-30-2013 at 10:28 AM.
VALMONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,025
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Isn't this a bipartisan push?
It is a bipartisan push for "reform"... what that includes however is polarizing.

What annoys me is that the narative will be as follows :

1. Democrats push for legalizing illegals and giving them the ability to vote... KNOWING that Hispanics vote overwhelmingly democratic
2. Republicans will push for reform that does NOT include the right to vote.
3. Democrats will label the republicans as bigots and racists for trying to deny the vote... REGARDLESS of whatever logic will be used against it.
4. Democrats will win after enough outrage and anger is placed at the feet of republicans
5. Democrats receive massive votes from former illegals who now have the ability to vote.

The democrats will then wipe their hands of the entitlement spending that will result.
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 817
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
It is a bipartisan push for "reform"... what that includes however is polarizing.

What annoys me is that the narative will be as follows :

1. Democrats push for legalizing illegals and giving them the ability to vote... KNOWING that Hispanics vote overwhelmingly democratic
2. Republicans will push for reform that does NOT include the right to vote.
3. Democrats will label the republicans as bigots and racists for trying to deny the vote... REGARDLESS of whatever logic will be used against it.
4. Democrats will win after enough outrage and anger is placed at the feet of republicans
5. Democrats receive massive votes from former illegals who now have the ability to vote.

The democrats will then wipe their hands of the entitlement spending that will result.
I'm interested to see what argument the Republicans will have as to why they should not be allowed to vote. Using the line of reasoning that it'll add more votes for the D's is not a valid argument to deny people a vote.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 557
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
It is a bipartisan push for "reform"... what that includes however is polarizing.

What annoys me is that the narative will be as follows :

1. Democrats push for legalizing illegals and giving them the ability to vote... KNOWING that Hispanics vote overwhelmingly democratic
2. Republicans will push for reform that does NOT include the right to vote.
3. Democrats will label the republicans as bigots and racists for trying to deny the vote... REGARDLESS of whatever logic will be used against it.

4. Democrats will win after enough outrage and anger is placed at the feet of republicans
5. Democrats receive massive votes from former illegals who now have the ability to vote.

The democrats will then wipe their hands of the entitlement spending that will result.
Not understanding your post, can you address what you mean by the bolded. If they become legal citizens why try to restrict their right to vote? I don't see any logic in this.

Last edited by badfast; 01-30-2013 at 10:43 AM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
sammk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 378
My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Millions of guaranteed recipient class Democrats, awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
This. And it is the SOLE reason the Democrats will push for reform. It's truly PATHETIC and will do nothing to benefit our economy. The tax revenue generated will NEVER cover the costs occurred as entitlements are just furthered to anyone who wants to cross the fkin border.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ons/?hpt=po_c2

"Why this time? On immigration, McCain points to 'elections'"
__________________


E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,497
My Ride: JDM
Pretty sure both sides will readily pander to this demographic.
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
This. And it is the SOLE reason the Democrats will push for reform. It's truly PATHETIC and will do nothing to benefit our economy. The tax revenue generated will NEVER cover the costs occurred as entitlements are just furthered to anyone who wants to cross the fkin border.
President Reagan signed the Immigration Reform and Control Act, which legalized close to 3 million undocumented immigrants. Stop your unjustified complaining.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,025
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Not understanding your post, can you address what you mean by the bolded. If they become legal citizens why try to restrict their right to vote? I don't see any logic in this.
This past election has signaled the future of this country. You have two camps.. those that want to provide for themselves and those that want to be provided for. Look at the most recent rumors in the inner circles of the white house...

Quote:
As the actions of his first term made clear, and as his second inaugural address declared, President Barack Obama is committed to a distinctive vision of American government. It emphasizes the importance of free enterprise, and firmly rejects “equality of result,” but it is simultaneously committed to ensuring both fair opportunity and decent security for all.

In these respects, Obama is updating Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s Second Bill of Rights. To be sure, his second term has barely started, and his precise place in history remains to be established. Yet we can’t appreciate the arc of American politics, or the nation’s current situation and prospects, without understanding the Second Bill.
Read more : http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...of-rights.html

As this is pushed, so will the belief that those rights should extend to immigrants.. but what happens when you say "we will give you everything you want, regardless of where you're born.. so long as you're in the US"? Of course, impoverished mexicans will walk across (as will illegals from countries around the globe) to take advantage of those freebies.

The US can NOT AFFORD to provide a home, job, clothes, food, and an iPad to everyone in the world"... And pushing for legislation even resembling that is just asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
President Reagan signed the Immigration Reform and Control Act, which legalized close to 3 million undocumented immigrants. Stop your unjustified complaining.
Our country's entitlement system is VASTLY different than it was in the 80's... and Reagan's law pushed for reform which included ENDING illegal immigration into this country. It hasn't worked and we CAN NOT give handouts to anyone who wants to walk across the fawking desert.
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Our country's entitlement system is VASTLY different than it was in the 80's... and Reagan's law pushed for reform which included ENDING illegal immigration into this country. It hasn't worked and we CAN NOT give handouts to anyone who wants to walk across the fawking desert.
In other words... Reagan failed to deliver meaningful immigration reform and consequently provided amnesty to nearly 3 million illegal immigrants. Let's see how Bush did...


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Washington Post

Bush Proposal Prompted Surge in Illegal Immigrants

President Bush's proposal for a guest worker program to help stem the tide of illegal immigration actually prompted a surge of illegal border-crossings that the administration then sought to cover up, a watchdog group charged today, citing a 2004 survey by the U.S. Border Patrol.

Judicial Watch, a Washington-based public interest group, said the survey, obtained under a Freedom of Information Act request, showed that 61 percent of a sample of detainees who had been caught illegally crossing the U.S.-Mexican border in the wake of Bush's proposal said they had been informed by the Mexican government or the media that the Bush administration was offering amnesty to illegal immigrants. Nearly 45 percent said the purported amnesty influenced their decision to enter the United States illegally, Judicial Watch said. -- Source


Do you even lift?
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 557
My Ride: A Car
I still don't understand how that relates to the right of voting. If they become US citizens why would one attempt to restrict their right to vote?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,497
My Ride: JDM
If they become US citizens there's no problem with voting. The question is how that citizenship is obtained. Do we hold them to the same standard as other immigrants, like my mother? Or do we wave a magic wand and expedite the process because they're from Mexico and a rich source of votes.

I'm not playing to either side here. The transparency of this whole this is pretty apparent, though.
__________________

Last edited by choxor; 01-30-2013 at 11:13 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
If they become US citizens there's no problem with voting. The question is how that citizenship is obtained. Do we hold them to the same standard as other immigrants, like my mother? Or do we wave a magic wand and expedite the process because they're from Mexico and a rich source of votes.

I'm not playing to either side here. The transparency of this whole this is pretty apparent, though.


Quote:
The Mexican government hasn't weighed in on specific details in this week's proposal from eight U.S. senators, a plan that would give undocumented immigrants immediate but provisional legal status to live and work in America, and eventually allow them to apply for green cards.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use