E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #121
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Ghey. Im going to search elsewhere first...I'd like to find it on a site that has it "in stock"....I know I know...won't be easy.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #122
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Reedo, is this the trigger you posted above?
http://geissele.com/supersemi-automa...-etrigger.aspx

If this the best place to buy them, or is there a better (cheaper) source you can recommend?
The one posted in that picture was the regular SSA, not the SSA-E. However, it depends on how you like your triggers. The SSA is 4.5lbs and the SSA-E is 3.5lbs. The SSA and SD-C are the same, as are the SSA-E and SD-E the same. Keep in mind that the weight of a 2-stage trigger has a tendency to feel lighter than a single stage of the same weight.

If you aren't familiar with their application guide, take a look at it:
http://geissele.com/pdfs/TriggerSummarySheet.pdf

The prices on them are pretty constant across the board regardless of where you go. The only way to get discounted pricing is to have LE/MIL discounts with vendors. Buying a whole LPK with a Geissele instead of the milspec trigger is a way to shave off a few bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Good luck getting anybody to commit to a lead time...if you want 2 of the best things you can buy for your gun IMO this is a great package right here:
http://shop.battlearmsdevelopment.co...D-ASS-SSAE.htm

The bad ass safety is freaking amazing, i have now put one on every rifle i have. Their customer service is above and beyond amazing, the owner answers emails in the middle of the night on weekends and goes out of his way to make you happy, I wish they sold more products just to spend money with battle arms. You get an amazing safety and an awesome trigger, win win. Then find a LPK without FCG and you have a great lower.. You can keep you eye out on whiteoakarmament, they have LPK minus FCG for about $45.
I personally prefer my Noveske 60 degree safety, but Battle Arms Development is a top notch company with a very excellent reputation and I would not hesitate to buy their products.

Quote:
Oh it's just an extra? I guess there are only two levers in use right, main side and the other side...the 3rd would be just a spare correct?
There is a third pin included in the Geissele trigger kit, but it's not an operational pin. It's a rounded off slave pin that just assists you in installation.
Or what lever are you referring to?

Quote:
I guess since the trigger comes with it's own pins it only makes sense to use them and keep the others as spares no?

Also, going back to reedo's comment....what does it mean when a trigger has a "lifespan" of xxxx amout of rounds? What exactly wears out? Seems a bit much having to replace a $250 trigger all the time...
The lifespan is basically an average life of the trigger before it will mechanically fail. The main part that fails on the two-stage is that club foot tail that comes off the back of the hammer and engages the two trigger disconnectors attached to the lower trigger portion.
RRA is known to have the worst reliability of all 2-stages, and you can see this by the very long and narrow shaft of that club foot tail. In contrast, you can see that the KAC is beefed up and is shorter, and the Geissele is the shortest and most beefed-up of all. RRA triggers are known to fail very early and with low round count. They're not combat-capable triggers, which is why they're billed as a National Match trigger.
I don't know what KAC's life span is, but when you consider that the KAC 2-stage costs $329 and the equivalent Geissele SSA costs $210, it's sort of a no-brainer.
As has been stated, Geisseles are rediculously reliable, and there's a reason why they have a lot of SOCOM contracts.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #123
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
The one posted in that picture was the regular SSA, not the SSA-E. However, it depends on how you like your triggers. The SSA is 4.5lbs and the SSA-E is 3.5lbs. The SSA and SD-C are the same, as are the SSA-E and SD-E the same. Keep in mind that the weight of a 2-stage trigger has a tendency to feel lighter than a single stage of the same weight.

If you aren't familiar with their application guide, take a look at it:
http://geissele.com/pdfs/TriggerSummarySheet.pdf

The prices on them are pretty constant across the board regardless of where you go. The only way to get discounted pricing is to have LE/MIL discounts with vendors. Buying a whole LPK with a Geissele instead of the milspec trigger is a way to shave off a few bucks.

I personally prefer my Noveske 60 degree safety, but Battle Arms Development is a top notch company with a very excellent reputation and I would not hesitate to buy their products.

There is a third pin included in the Geissele trigger kit, but it's not an operational pin. It's a rounded off slave pin that just assists you in installation.
Or what lever are you referring to?

The lifespan is basically an average life of the trigger before it will mechanically fail. The main part that fails on the two-stage is that club foot tail that comes off the back of the hammer and engages the two trigger disconnectors attached to the lower trigger portion.
RRA is known to have the worst reliability of all 2-stages, and you can see this by the very long and narrow shaft of that club foot tail. In contrast, you can see that the KAC is beefed up and is shorter, and the Geissele is the shortest and most beefed-up of all. RRA triggers are known to fail very early and with low round count. They're not combat-capable triggers, which is why they're billed as a National Match trigger.
I don't know what KAC's life span is, but when you consider that the KAC 2-stage costs $329 and the equivalent Geissele SSA costs $210, it's sort of a no-brainer.
As has been stated, Geisseles are rediculously reliable, and there's a reason why they have a lot of SOCOM contracts.
Gotcha, thanks a lot brother. Ended up with a Geissele SSA-E. Seems like it will work well for my needs.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #124
NFRs2000nyc

Ok guys, now I guess I need a stock....NJ legal, so no telescoping . Are they purely comfort/ergonomic or is there a real difference in performance of any kind?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #125
Reedo302

Depends on what length you want. Magpul has a couple fixed stocks, but you can get a normal collapsible stock pinned.
If you want something that's uber-tough, look at a Sully Stock. The guy that invented it is a mentor of mine and these things are damn near indestructible. They're like a midway-collapsed stock.
http://www.thedefensiveedge.com/Sear...lts.asp?Cat=51

Glock Armorer

Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #126
NFRs2000nyc

Ok, noob question....what's that dangly thing at the end of it? Also, does anyone make a stock that is like the first one you posted, but rubber/silicone coated? I like the feel or rubberized coatings.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-29-2013 at 11:38 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #127
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Ok, noob question....what's that dangly thing at the end of it? Also, does anyone make a stock that is like the first one you posted, but rubber/silicone coated? I like the feel or rubberized coatings.
Dangly thing is a sling attachment point.

As far as the rubberized coating, I don't know too much. I wouldn't think I would like it because it would get too clingy too my clothing, but not sure.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #128
Reedo302

It's not ideal to have a stock surface that has too much friction, for the reason that david pointed out. I wouldn't recommend a rubberized coating, but if you were so inclined, you could paint one on using something like FlexSeal.

Glock Armorer

Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #129
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
It's not ideal to have a stock surface that has too much friction, for the reason that david pointed out. I wouldn't recommend a rubberized coating, but if you were so inclined, you could paint one on using something like FlexSeal.
No, you guys made a good point. I'll scrap that idea.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #130
NFRs2000nyc

Ok, from what I gather, for a "fun" varmint, a simple A2 stock seems to be the favorite....any objections?
Something like this maybe.... http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcar...cat=282&page=1

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-30-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #131
NFRs2000nyc

I was also recommended the Magpul PRS...
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #132
nbtstatic

My Ride: 04-330ci-SMG
Quote:
I was also recommended the Magpul PRS...
For reference, here is my long range AR with a magpul PRS. They are nice, but a little spendy.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #133
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
I got some some range time with my Magpul ACS-L and really like it. I keep earplugs in the compartment. I'm planning on getting a second one for my next build.The CTR I tried first was a little too light and small to offset the 14" rail and 16" barrel.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #134
NFRs2000nyc

I'm looking at a 20" bull barrel most likely.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-30-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #135
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
I got some some range time with my Magpul ACS-L and really like it. I keep earplugs in the compartment. I'm planning on getting a second one for my next build.The CTR I tried first was a little too light and small to offset the 14" rail and 16" barrel.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
I thought your CTR was just fine.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #136
NFRs2000nyc

Score!

These cheap bastards don't include a tube or a spring, so I need to get one of those as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #137
nbtstatic

nice.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #138
NFRs2000nyc

Build is progressing nicely. Love you guys for the advice, hate what you're doin to my wallet....

Old 02-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #139
nbtstatic

Lol - I know the feeling. I'm late to the thread here, you have a barrel yet?

I'm bored - Check out this 20" Pac-nor from a previous build.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #140
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtstatic View Post
Lol - I know the feeling. I'm late to the thread here, you have a barrel yet?

I'm bored - Check out this 20" Pac-nor from a previous build.

No. I don't think I will build my upper. With the cost of parts today, I will cost me less to buy a complete upper. I also don't want this to take forever. I need to order an LPK, a nice comfortable grip, and then the upper, and I should be good.....oh, and spring/buffer tube too. Finding a nice varmint upper than I like is proving to be a challenge.