E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
217Bimmer
Banned User

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
reinforcing/waterproofing basement

the cinder block foundation in my almost 100 year old home has some areas where the blocks are crumbling a bit. anyone know the best way to rebuild or reinforce these blocks?

scrape off the loose stuff and fill cracks with hydraulic cement and then is there another product to trowel on the surface of the blocks to give them strength and better water sealing? i have my roof draining pretty good now and good drainage away from foundation, so there isn't much water which comes in through foundation walls.
217Bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
depending how severe it its.. You may have to replace the blocks (best option), uncover the wall from outside and apply waterproof membrane...

There is no quick and cheap way of fixing the issue... make sure its done properly (it supports the house).

GL

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
217Bimmer
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
depending how severe it its.. You may have to replace the blocks (best option), uncover the wall from outside and apply waterproof membrane...

There is no quick and cheap way of fixing the issue... make sure its done properly (it supports the house).

GL

this was done 5 years ago or so before i owned in one section of the house. i'd like to do something not as involved and expensive as that. just a patch and repair.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Is it just one or two blocks that are deteriorating?? or does it seem like the most of the wall has this issue?

I understand what your trying to do, but something like this will only worsen over time, especially if the moisture is getting through already. Even if you try to patch it up and sell the house, there could be some legal issues once the problem is uncovered.

If you're planning on staying there for a while, its a good idea to spend the extra couple K and have it fixed for good.

pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
You cant fix leaks from the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Chris3Duke

Are the blocks crumbling, or the mortar? The #1 thing to do is proper grading and water mitigation around the foundation (downspout extensions, etc.).

I don't think drylok is going to hurt anything.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
217Bimmer
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
Is it just one or two blocks that are deteriorating?? or does it seem like the most of the wall has this issue?

I understand what your trying to do, but something like this will only worsen over time, especially if the moisture is getting through already. Even if you try to patch it up and sell the house, there could be some legal issues once the problem is uncovered.

If you're planning on staying there for a while, its a good idea to spend the extra couple K and have it fixed for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
You cant fix leaks from the inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3Duke View Post
Are the blocks crumbling, or the mortar? The #1 thing to do is proper grading and water mitigation around the foundation (downspout extensions, etc.).

I don't think drylok is going to hurt anything.
it's a small house i live in now, but i will soon build or move in with my fiance and turn this into a rental.

the block surfaces are deteriorating along with some of the mortar. i've fixed the drainage issue and run a dehum all the time, so there is not really a water leakage issue in my basement, it's just that the blocks need to be repaired so that they dont continue to deteriorate. i'd like to patch things up and get the wall in better shape and then at some point spray foam the entire wall up into the rim joist cavity.