E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
M127

My Ride: 2002 M3 Coupe/CB/6MT
Ground Loop sound elimination help???

2001 BMW M3 install...

Installed an aftermarket head unit, specifically the enco-b016. Connected to an aftermarket 4channel amplifier to run all the mids and highs through the rca connections.
I have a ground loop problem, which I installed Bullz Audio BNS80 ground loop isolators in between the head unit and amplifier for both front/rear connections.
This did not solve the issue.

I know this is a bmw forum, but hopefully some have high knowledge of audio installs.
Any suggestions on how to eliminate this noise??

Thanks!
M127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
TurnersInOz

My Ride: 2004 325i
Move the amp ground to a clean, dedicated connection
Make sure no signal cables run next to power
TurnersInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
jaydiem

My Ride: M3
I moved from a aftermarket pioneer flip up unit to a Enco B146. I had ground loop isolators on the RCA out to my aftermarket amp FRONTS... which eliminated the static/engine noise for the pioneer unit. But the same setup didn't work for the enco.. I gave up and decided to just take out my sound system (aftermarket amp and subwoofer box in the trunk) the benefit is weight saving and empty trunk.
jaydiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
M127

update

I moved the amp ground to the factory audio ground. Didn't fix issue.

When I unplug the rca's from the amp, the noise completely stops. Does this mean the head unit isn't grounded properly???

I attempted to ground the rca's from the head unit, but noise got worse.

RCA's do run along the passenger side, which is where the main power line goes for all the accesories for the m3. Hoping this isn't the problem.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
spurs51

My Ride: 316 ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by M127 View Post
I moved the amp ground to the factory audio ground. Didn't fix issue.

When I unplug the rca's from the amp, the noise completely stops. Does this mean the head unit isn't grounded properly???

I attempted to ground the rca's from the head unit, but noise got worse.

RCA's do run along the passenger side, which is where the main power line goes for all the accesories for the m3. Hoping this isn't the problem.
Did you eventually sort your problem out ?
spurs51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
M127

No, I hooked up my tweeters to the head unit to power temporarily, just as a temp. fix. The lower power doesn't whine as much.

My next attempt is to shorten the Ground from the head unit as its running from the front to the back of the vehicle. This is my last fix I can come up with, as several ground loop eliminators failed miserably.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
spurs51

That is annoying. I got a similiar problem in addition to my amp cutting in and out. Did you try the heat shrink wrap solution someone suggested before?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I have always run a ground wire (in connection with the hu ground) to the amp ground point as well as seperate rca's from nearby power wires.
You can have a differential from the hu ground to the amp ground and this will cause issues.
So, to make things clear- connect the hu ground to it's ground wire and the extra wire that will run to the amp grounding point... this will solve the differential of voltage.
I hope this will work for you, if not.... then I'm at a loss too.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
TurnersInOz

There is no reason to run a ground for the HU to the rear of the car. You want the grounds to be as short as possible.
If you are running the ground to the rear to be closer/on the battery, this can cause issues.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Use the grounding lug forward and above the oem amp's location for the new amp. Use oem head unit's ground for the head unit.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
dirty vert

but, with a gound loop issue....between the two grounds (1) at the headunit, and (2) the amp- you can have a volt or two difference , evidently you misunderstood what I'm saying... I do know well enough about this...
This is why I run the extra wire... leave the headunit grounded to the headunit and connected (to the same connection) of the headunits gound and run this to the amps gound too- this will even out the difference.
Don't believe me.... been there, done that.
I never said don't use it (hu) or amp ground...Just add the wire to remove voltage difference.
the12volt.com has more for you to read....
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
JasonCote

My Ride: 2005 325Xi blk/blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by M127 View Post

^ this.
Always opposite sides, especially with the 0 gauge power wire going through
Better audio this way too.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
TurnersInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty vert View Post
but, with a gound loop issue....between the two grounds (1) at the headunit, and (2) the amp- you can have a volt or two difference , evidently you misunderstood what I'm saying... I do know well enough about this...
This is why I run the extra wire... leave the headunit grounded to the headunit and connected (to the same connection) of the headunits gound and run this to the amps gound too- this will even out the difference.
Don't believe me.... been there, done that.
I never said don't use it (hu) or amp ground...Just add the wire to remove voltage difference.
the12volt.com has more for you to read....
Does this mean that you would ground the HU up front, ground the amp in back, and then run a wire between the two grounds?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #14
dirty vert

Yes , this is exactly what I do.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 AM   #15
TurnersInOz

Interesting!
I'll have to keep that in mind if I run into a stubborn GL.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #16
spurs51

My issue was sorted last night by connecting into the single sub out rca of the Enco B146 unit and then using a spliter cable at the amp end. See last couple of posts in the "Enco B146 (Wince) support" thread between mbadger and myself.

Last edited by spurs51; 01-31-2013 at 06:02 AM.