E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #21
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I'm not denying it at all. A large majority of the gun crime in my city happens in a predominantly black, poor, uneducated area. Same thing with Chicago. Both cities have completely opposite approaches to gun control laws with similar outcomes.
Just waiting for someone to come out and say "It's not a gun problem, it's a black problem..." and I don't mean here, I mean in the mainstream media. I want to hear Sharpton, Jackson, and the rest of them blame their own people, and not the guns.
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-31-2013 at 11:18 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,023
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Just waiting for someone to come out and say "It's not a gun problem, it's a black problem..." and I don't mean here, I mean in the mainstream media. I want to hear Sharpton, Jackson, and the rest of them blame their own people, and not the guns.
Look at the Cosby interviews from the other thread. The man has spent the last ten years begging black men to stand up and take responsibility for their actions, their behavior, their advancements, and their children. Of course, this isn't a reflection on ALL black men... but when you have a leader in the black community telling "his people" to take a long, hard look in the mirror... perhaps it's due.
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Look at the Cosby interviews from the other thread. The man has spent the last ten years begging black men to stand up and take responsibility for their actions, their behavior, their advancements, and their children. Of course, this isn't a reflection on ALL black men... but when you have a leader in the black community telling "his people" to take a long, hard look in the mirror... perhaps it's due.
Unfortunately Cosby isnt a prominent figure with a loud voice.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,023
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Unfortunately Cosby isnt a prominent figure with a loud voice.
Well, years ago he was... he basically was shunned and ignored BECAUSE he took that position.
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #25
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,288
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Unfortunately, the color and texture of a person's hair has zero demonstrable impact on one's propensity for violence.

Except gingers. They're evil.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 816
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Unfortunately, the color and texture of a person's hair has zero demonstrable impact on one's propensity for violence.

Except gingers. They're evil.
I would be evil too if I got a sunburn from an incandescent light bulb.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #27
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Unfortunately, the color and texture of a person's hair has zero demonstrable impact on one's propensity for violence.

Except gingers. They're evil.
Homeland is awesome.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 99
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
You clown... Chicago has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation. And look where it has gotten them.

In the 80's DC was the gun crime capital of the nation... and they were one of the few places in the nation that banned ALL firearms.

How can people be dumb enough to believe that criminals will abide stricter gun laws
Chicago, as with DC, were but small islands surrounded by seas of easy gun access basically making their strict laws moot and ineffective. Hence the need to address guns more broadly/nationally to have any real impact on mitigating gun related violence.

Do note, I am in no way arguing that stricter gun laws are THE answer to our levels of societal violence nor that other serious deep thinking, whether legislatively or socially, needs to also take place.

However, these two threads are not mutually exclusive, either/or approaches either and I think all should be on the table to create a more cohesive and effective approach to our high levels of societal violence.

I certainly don't expect criminals to abide by any gun laws, they are criminals after all (though this argument can get rather circular too). However, national-level gun control could make it far more difficult, over time, for criminals to acquire and eventually use guns. Yes, they may then resort to knives and fists, but those are far less effective and deadly so would represent at least a real-world mitigation of the problem, not some Utopian solution.
Rhumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #29
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 816
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Chicago, as with DC, were but small islands surrounded by seas of easy gun access basically making their strict laws moot and ineffective. Hence the need to address guns more broadly/nationally to have any real impact on mitigating gun related violence.
Have you been to Illinois? Chicago is basically the only thing in that state outside of corn fields, soybean fields and highway 55. They are not surrounded by a sea of easy gun access, lol.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #30
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Have you been to Illinois? Chicago is basically the only thing in that state outside of corn fields, soybean fields and highway 55. They are not surrounded by a sea of easy gun access, lol.
Chicago itself is roughly 3 million people when going by city lines. It's surrounded by another 7-10 million people depending how far you watch to draw the "metropolitan" line.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #31
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 816
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Chicago itself is roughly 3 million people when going by city lines. It's surrounded by another 7-10 million people depending how far you watch to draw the "metropolitan" line.
I was referring to the greater Chicagoland area......DT, suburbs both near and far, etc.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 01-31-2013 at 02:17 PM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #32
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I was referring to the greater Chicagoland area......DT, suburbs both near and far, etc.
Regardless, there are plenty of enthusiasts and sportsmen in the surrounding areas. Two of my colleagues go hunting on a regular basis. The problem is really only isolated to the South and West sides of Chicago.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #33
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 816
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Regardless, there are plenty of enthusiasts and sportsmen in the surrounding areas. Two of my colleagues go hunting on a regular basis. The problem is really only isolated to the South and West sides of Chicago.
You're missing the point of what I am saying. Rhumb was insinuating if a person goes outside of Chicago that it is a sea of easy gun access, which it is not as far as I know. You don't see thugs on the south side mowing people down with a bolt action Remington hunting rifle.

I'm aware of where it's isolated, as well. I've made the point several times.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #34
Swish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 285
My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Just waiting for someone to come out and say "It's not a gun problem, it's a black problem..." and I don't mean here, I mean in the mainstream media. I want to hear Sharpton, Jackson, and the rest of them blame their own people, and not the guns.
Stop being a prick! It's an American problem, not specific to a race! These black inner city kids killing each other are Americans, and no matter what, it should be categorized as an American problem. Keep trying to pin it to a race... It'll get you nowhere!

Edit: racist will always try and pin it to a particular race... Patriots will realize its a national problem!
__________________

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"

Last edited by Swish; 01-31-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #35
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 99
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Have you been to Illinois? Chicago is basically the only thing in that state outside of corn fields, soybean fields and highway 55. They are not surrounded by a sea of easy gun access, lol.
Yes. Sea I was referring to was the greater U.S. of A.
Rhumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #36
Act of God
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 333
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
Stop being a prick! It's an American problem, not specific to a race! These black inner city kids killing each other are Americans, and no matter what, it should be categorized as an American problem. Keep trying to pin it to a race... It'll get you nowhere!
We are definitely all Americans, but you really can sort of pinpoint this type of behavior. When you try to alleviate race from the discussion I think it undermines any real attempt at finding a solution to the problem.

The problem is an epidemic within the black community. This isn't happening in other American communities (although it looks like Latino gangs are looking to take their place). Half the problem is that we CAN'T say this is a black community problem. You aren't helping anyone by pretending this happens everywhere and with everyone.

Sorry man, but it's true. Saw your edit, and that is a pretty low blow.
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009

Last edited by Act of God; 01-31-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #37
Swish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 285
My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
We are definitely all Americans, but you really can sort of pinpoint this type of behavior. When you try to alleviate race from the discussion I think it undermines any real attempt at finding a solution to the problem.

The problem is an epidemic within the black community. This isn't happening in other American communities (although it looks like Latino gangs are looking to take their place). Half the problem is that we CAN'T say this is a black community problem. You aren't helping anyone by pretending this happens everywhere and with everyone.

Sorry man, but it's true. Saw your edit, and that is a pretty low blow.
As stated above, I'm an American, and I see it as a national problem! We need to provide answers and solutions as a nation, not as a bunch of finger pointers...
__________________

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #38
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
Stop being a prick! It's an American problem, not specific to a race! These black inner city kids killing each other are Americans, and no matter what, it should be categorized as an American problem. Keep trying to pin it to a race... It'll get you nowhere!

Edit: racist will always try and pin it to a particular race... Patriots will realize its a national problem!
Are you black, just curious.
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-31-2013 at 04:10 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #39
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 816
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
We are definitely all Americans, but you really can sort of pinpoint this type of behavior. When you try to alleviate race from the discussion I think it undermines any real attempt at finding a solution to the problem.

The problem is an epidemic within the black community. This isn't happening in other American communities (although it looks like Latino gangs are looking to take their place). Half the problem is that we CAN'T say this is a black community problem. You aren't helping anyone by pretending this happens everywhere and with everyone.

Sorry man, but it's true. Saw your edit, and that is a pretty low blow.
To be fair, every race has had their violent times. Whites (Italians, Irish, etc., etc.) had it, asians have had it, blacks, hispanics, and so on.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #40
Swish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 285
My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
We are definitely all Americans, but you really can sort of pinpoint this type of behavior. When you try to alleviate race from the discussion I think it undermines any real attempt at finding a solution to the problem.

The problem is an epidemic within the black community. This isn't happening in other American communities (although it looks like Latino gangs are looking to take their place). Half the problem is that we CAN'T say this is a black community problem. You aren't helping anyone by pretending this happens everywhere and with everyone.

Sorry man, but it's true. Saw your edit, and that is a pretty low blow.
You're saying you want to be honest about it all, right? That's not a low blow, it's honesty! Sometimes it's so easy to tell civilians that don't have a sense of country vs. patriots that see our nations problems as a nation wide epidemic, not a finger pointing contest. The Reagan's didn't do the war on drugs for the black community! You need to re-evaluate your stance as an American my friend!
__________________

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use